I Fear The Reaper
Outlaw2112
Oct 10 2008, 01:16 PM
GMC:er
Ive decided that this weekend im gonna finally figure out everything about this recording software Reaper.... I know how to record me playing guitar in it thanks to deeproots tutorial, but i want to know how to mix, add effects, basically everything the program will do...

Any help would be appreciated...
Ill use this thread as my question board

First question would be can i record something that is being played through my computer speakers?
Like if i was watching youtube and wanted to record some audio clip from there, can that be done on reaper and if so how would i do it?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Oct 10 2008, 03:39 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I can recommend you the following tutorial from Tonymiro , is very complete and easy to understand.

Recording & Mixing Classes by Tonymiro

Hope it helps.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The only thing yo can do, is what you love!

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
Fran
Oct 10 2008, 05:42 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=z5rW-YvYmUE

wink.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Oct 11 2008, 08:34 PM
Ive gone over all that in the forums, but i didnt see how to take something that isnt downloaded to my computer and record it on reaper...

Like how would i take a mp3 thats on the forums and record it to reaper, like trying to mix a collab together?

Or if i have a backing track i want to record over on reaper how would i record the backing track on reaper?

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Oct 11 2008, 08:38 PM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Oct 11 2008, 08:34 PM) *
Ive gone over all that in the forums, but i didnt see how to take something that isnt downloaded to my computer and record it on reaper...

Like how would i take a mp3 thats on the forums and record it to reaper, like trying to mix a collab together?

Or if i have a backing track i want to record over on reaper how would i record the backing track on reaper?

Save the file to your desktop (or wherever), then simply drag it into reaper and it should automatically make a new track for you. Then you can make a new track for your guitar playing and you're all set!

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Oct 11 2008, 08:41 PM
also this guy is making drum beats on reaper somehow... id like to learn how to do that too

does anyone know how to do the drums on reaper?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P9FCnq6u4g

QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Oct 11 2008, 08:38 PM) *
Save the file to your desktop (or wherever), then simply drag it into reaper and it should automatically make a new track for you. Then you can make a new track for your guitar playing and you're all set!

So you have to save it to your computer before adding it to reaper?

With audacity i can record whats being played out of my computer speakers without having to save it, is that possible with reaper?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gus
Oct 11 2008, 08:58 PM
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Oct 11 2008, 09:41 PM) *
also this guy is making drum beats on reaper somehow... id like to learn how to do that too

does anyone know how to do the drums on reaper?

I just started doing that. Install addictive drums and select VST options in reaper.
After that all you need is to open the FX browser, go to VSTi and drag and drop addictive drums into a track. Then you can configure the drums in addictive drums and use then in your reaper recording.

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Oct 11 2008, 09:15 PM
QUOTE (Gus @ Oct 11 2008, 08:58 PM) *
I just started doing that. Install addictive drums and select VST options in reaper.
After that all you need is to open the FX browser, go to VSTi and drag and drop addictive drums into a track. Then you can configure the drums in addictive drums and use then in your reaper recording.

Im installing the demo for addictive drums now... Im determined to learn how to use reaper this weekend, and stop using audacity for my recordings...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gus
Oct 11 2008, 09:22 PM
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Oct 11 2008, 10:15 PM) *
Im installing the demo for addictive drums now... Im determined to learn how to use reaper this weekend, and stop using audacity for my recordings...

I first installed addictive drums 3 weeks ago.
I must say that addictive drums is really addictive tongue.gif use with care!
First time I used I spent 4 hours playing guitar over it blink.gif

I am seriously considering buying it now

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Oct 11 2008, 09:26 PM
Heres the free demo link for anyone else that wants to try it out...

http://www.xlnaudio.com/index.php?page=downloads

--------------------

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Oct 12 2008, 02:12 AM
Im really starting to dislike reaper.... audacity is soo much easier, but it seems like reaper has more functions

Ive done a few projects today and had to delete them because i hate reaper... lol

--------------------

+Quote Post
swingline
Oct 12 2008, 03:16 AM
Audacity is much more user friendly but has alot less features. All in all I am with you, Reapers kind of annoying.

This post has been edited by swingline: Oct 12 2008, 03:17 AM

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller

+Quote Post
jdriver
Oct 12 2008, 03:33 AM
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Oct 11 2008, 06:12 PM) *
Im really starting to dislike reaper.... audacity is soo much easier, but it seems like reaper has more functions

Ive done a few projects today and had to delete them because i hate reaper... lol

You have to understand these 2 programs have completely different approaches. Audacity is a destructive editor, using a work file. Reaper is only making a list of things you want to do to your file, like start and end points of an edit, cut and paste, etc. No file is written until you render the project.

In Audacity if you copy and paste something and you don't like how it turned out, you have Undo it and try again. In Reaper, you have a virtual copy of the entire file in everything you paste. Don't like the start/end or how it mixes? just drag one end. Think of the edit as a window on the whole file, you can put it where ever you want.

Reaper is very complex, that's for sure. I had the hardest time just figuring out how to make a selection without making a loop selection, but it's worth the effort. Once you get a little experience with it, you will feel very liberated and you'll never go back. Download the manual and keep it open for easy reference.

No amount of explaining is ultimately going to make you understand, you'll just have to play with it, but again i tell you it is worth it.

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Oct 12 2008, 03:39 AM
Yeah it looks like a far more superior program than audacity is... but its soo frustrating to learn and there is soo much going on on the screen...

Ill give it more time

--------------------

+Quote Post
jdriver
Oct 12 2008, 04:00 AM
Post a screen shot, maybe we can help simplify. I think you are just trying to record your guitar over a backing track. I do that all the time.

--------------------
For some understanding.
Was there ever?

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Oct 12 2008, 04:16 AM
i can record my guitar on it, just recorded this now, just editing and adding stuff is confusing, not to mention all the FX that come with it

--------------------

+Quote Post
jdriver
Oct 12 2008, 04:31 AM
I'd keep the effects window closed for now. you can add effects after you record. Sounding good though, watch the levels.

--------------------
For some understanding.
Was there ever?

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Oct 12 2008, 04:39 AM
QUOTE (jdriver @ Oct 12 2008, 04:31 AM) *
I'd keep the effects window closed for now. you can add effects after you record. Sounding good though, watch the levels.

How do i lower the volume levels?

also how do i clean up what ive recorded?

I downloaded the manual and its 415 pages....

Im not into reading at all, thats like reading the phonebook or something

--------------------

+Quote Post
jdriver
Oct 12 2008, 04:44 AM
Move the slider for the track you are recording on. You want it near 0db, but not over. If it turns red at the top of the meter, you're peaking over by the amount it shows. Click in the red to clear it.

--------------------
For some understanding.
Was there ever?

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Oct 12 2008, 04:50 AM
Aight, thanks alot man... who knew joining this site to learn some guitar would make me learn about computers and these programs

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:06 PM