Wrist Pain, How to get rid off!
J.E.
Oct 20 2008, 05:31 PM
GMC:er
Hi ive noticed alot of people are having problems whit their wrist when playing. I have a solution that might work, you see you have to train your arm, like for instance when your getting a drivers license for a motorcycle you gotta train your arm because of the tention the gas and clutch gives your arm. The same thing is about the guitar you need to train your arms before you dive into for example that carpal tunnel killing 12 bar progression, im into rock n roll so i use this alot and it has been torturing me for a long time, but ive found a solution: I bought a little foam ball that were supposed to stimulate your hands muscles and i must say it helped me a lot. And by the way when practising sit in a comfortable position, dont bend your wrist to much try to keep your arm as straight as possible and finally take breaks! dont ever sit like 2 hours and practice and suddenly stop thats really bad for your wrists! Well i hope these tips can be helpfull to keep the carpal tunnel syndrome away^^

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Can you imagine?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 20 2008, 06:32 PM
Instructor
Thanks for these advices, they are very true and useful. Wrist pain can be very annoying, specially if you do music professionally. It is always best to keep to warm up nicely, so there is a little-to-no risk.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 20 2008, 06:48 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hey thanks for those insights man!! They are really useful !! We need to be careful when playing a do our warm ups and cool downs correctly..We should all be aware of dangers of not doing it...

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Oct 20 2008, 08:53 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
Hmmm I want to ask a question, but not start a whole topic about it... My thumb hurts often when I play barre chords and need to slide them from one position to another. I think that I am doing something wrong, because I have few years of "cowboy/casual playing" after me, so such "beginner" things shouldn't affect me. Still my thumb hurts, and I don't know what I am doing wrong. Most probably it has something to do with tension, but I don't know how to solve it...

This post has been edited by Marek Rojewski: Oct 20 2008, 08:53 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jad Diab
Oct 20 2008, 09:05 PM
Instructor (former GMCer Zizi Top)
thanks for your tips thei're really great smile.gif I'd like to add something though, not a long time ago, I had some pain on my wrist, it wasn't really harmfull, but it was a slight pain, so after a week, I've decided to do something, I was so scared of getting a tendinitie, because one of my friends wich is a great guitar player had to stop playing for a year because of his tendinitie, so I went to the pharmacy and I told them what's my problem and they gave me a cream that I can put on my wrist everyday for 5 days, it's name is (Intralgis) and it's great, I have no pain anymore, so if you feel I slight pain in your wrist, go to the pharmacy and ask for help.

By the way I think that the problem is called RSI (repetitive stress injury).

But Jarl Emil tips are great too and can let you avoid this problem I think smile.gif

--------------------
I endorse Sp custom pickups

Check out some of my work :
Youtube
GMC lessons
Myspace

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Oct 20 2008, 09:11 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Zizi Top @ Oct 20 2008, 10:05 PM) *
thanks for your tips thei're really great smile.gif I'd like to add something though, not a long time ago, I had some pain on my wrist, it wasn't really harmfull, but it was a slight pain, so after a week, I've decided to do something, I was so scared of getting a tendinitie, because one of my friends wich is a great guitar player had to stop playing for a year because of his tendinitie, so I went to the pharmacy and I told them what's my problem and they gave me a cream that I can put on my wrist everyday for 5 days, it's name is (Intralgis) and it's great, I have no pain anymore, so if you feel I slight pain in your wrist, go to the pharmacy and ask for help.

By the way I think that the problem is called RSI (repetitive stress injury).

But Jarl Emil tips are great too and can let you avoid this problem I think smile.gif

While I agree on what most people have said here, i would be careful using any pills, creams, lotions or whatever that will "remove" the pain.. I would strongly suggest to find out why you have the pain instead of taking pain-releaving pharmacy "drugs". Else you might hurt yourself without even knowing it..

If you dont use the cream anymore and you aren't hurting, thats great. I am just saying that taking/using stuff to get rid of pain instead of finding the source of the problem is very short-term, and you could risk long-term injuries..

edit: my right wrist is acting up.. And has done that for the last 10-15 years.. Sometimes I get pain in the wrist, and the only thing i can do is to "crack" the wrist, by bending the wrist.. the sound is actually quite high, and i can feel it all the way up to my shoulder. I had a lumb in my wrist, on top of the hand, and 8 years ago i had a surgery in the wrist to have it removed.. I was hoping this would help remedy on my issue..

Unfortunately not.. It's still the same.. I believe now that it comes from my early years as a bowling player, throwing heavy balls down the lanes.. It is my only explanation, and as of now, i have still to find a "cure".

I cannot bend my right wrist as much as the left, and push-ups are a thing of the past. If i at some point forget that my wrist isn't that good, ie. getting up the side of a pool, i sometimes accidentally bend my wrist too much, resulting in pains for the next 2-3 weeks..

This post has been edited by -Zion-: Oct 20 2008, 09:20 PM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 20 2008, 09:16 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Marek Rojewski @ Oct 20 2008, 09:53 PM) *
Hmmm I want to ask a question, but not start a whole topic about it... My thumb hurts often when I play barre chords and need to slide them from one position to another. I think that I am doing something wrong, because I have few years of "cowboy/casual playing" after me, so such "beginner" things shouldn't affect me. Still my thumb hurts, and I don't know what I am doing wrong. Most probably it has something to do with tension, but I don't know how to solve it...

I don't know that could be the problem mate, but if you have the time, I think you should check out with a doctor. Not like a serious thing, more of a routine check, and ask him about that. That's what I would do anyway, better safe than sorry.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
J.E.
Oct 20 2008, 09:18 PM
QUOTE (Marek Rojewski @ Oct 20 2008, 08:53 PM) *

In general or in fact Bar chords are one of the hardest chords you can play so what i think you should do is try to be aware of how your holding your thumb when barring chords, my biggest struggle was that 12 bar blues progression ala johnny b goode. Ive finally got it down now and it doesent hurt anymore, i basically only play that progression so i guess my muscles are hardened:P

--------------------
Can you imagine?

+Quote Post
superize
Oct 20 2008, 09:20 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
Thanks for the tips i have been starting to feel a little pain in my wrist when i play sometimes

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 21 2008, 12:35 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Marek Rojewski @ Oct 20 2008, 09:53 PM) *

Well I have a very flexible thumb and it hurts too sometimes when playing barre and similar stuff excessively...You will be able to build up more stamina and strength for such playing and also you may be pressing too hard those chords with your left hand...Try relaxing a grip a bit..

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
SensE
Oct 21 2008, 01:08 AM
I found a solution too. After speedpicking for 15 mins, take 5 mins break and sneak into the GMC forum. That way would relax ur mind as well as wrist.

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Oct 21 2008, 03:07 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thanx!! That's gonna help me!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:13 PM