I Just Fried My Laptop !, Some Heavy Weather Last Night....
Staffy
Jul 17 2010, 07:55 PM
Learning Tone Master
As some of You may know (and experienced) we had some VERY hot weeks in Sweden.
So last night Hell broke loose and I have NEVER experienced thunder & lightning so close.
First I thought that my house been struck by the lightning, then I thought my laptop was......
But it appears that it just have been drowned in water, since I have it on my porch.
Normally, it doesnt rain on my porch, but the wind must have blown in a lot of water on it.

So the best I could came up with was to fry it in the oven - and gosh - now it works again, but it took
some 15 hours to dry it up..... (at 45 degrees) smile.gif
So now I just have to dry the other stuff as well - eg. my soundcard & some pedals......

//Staffay

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jul 17 2010, 08:00 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Staffy @ Jul 17 2010, 06:55 PM) *

So the best I could came up with was to fry it in the oven - and gosh - now it works again, but it took
some 15 hours to dry it up..... (at 45 degrees) smile.gif
//Staffay

Gratz smile.gif - sometimes gentle ambient heat works well - had to do the same thing once to a mobile phone that went thorough the washing machine. Best of luck with the rest.

Deep fat frying doesn't work though wink.gif .

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Jul 17 2010, 08:20 PM
Instructor
woa dude! i'm sorry to hear that.., good luck saving the other things!

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Staffy
Jul 17 2010, 08:37 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jul 17 2010, 09:00 PM) *
Gratz smile.gif - sometimes gentle ambient heat works well - had to do the same thing once to a mobile phone that went thorough the washing machine. Best of luck with the rest.

Deep fat frying doesn't work though wink.gif .

Deep fat frying only works on women and calamares......... laugh.gif
But I have done this numerous times before, since I always accidentally is pouring coffe over the keyboard, and it works every time! smile.gif

//Staffay

QUOTE (Adrian Figallo @ Jul 17 2010, 09:20 PM) *
woa dude! i'm sorry to hear that.., good luck saving the other things!

Oh, I think I'll manage to do that as well, but the computer was the most important since I got bookmarks to all the great lessons here smile.gif
This is just "Studio C", so the soundcard was a quite cheap one, and the pedals will be alright, I think...

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 17 2010, 10:50 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Staffy @ Jul 17 2010, 08:55 PM) *
it took some 15 hours to dry it up..... (at 45 degrees) smile.gif

The rain passed by here some hours ago and I could swear I heard and evil laugh with it... Maybe your laptop would have dried a lot quicker in the microwave owen unsure.gif

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jul 17 2010, 11:40 PM
Learning Roadie
Wow. Close call. I don't think I would've put it in the oven.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 18 2010, 01:13 AM
Instructor
Smart thing with the oven, I wouldn't dare to do that, but if it works, great smile.gif Glad to hear you solved the problem smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Jul 20 2010, 01:27 PM
Jazz Instructor
Can't believe what you done! biggrin.gif
You certainly know how to improvise!

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jul 21 2010, 08:20 PM
Instructor
Staffay thats a great story man! How come your laptop didn't burn out in the oven? Very cool thing to do (you saved 500$+ investment) smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Jul 21 2010, 11:32 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Yeah, glad to hear it worked smile.gif

My girlfriend once had her cell phone fall into water, and she googled for a solution which happenned to be letting the phone rest in rice for a night. Worked like a charm!, it seems the rice absorbs humidity pretty weel from electronic devices. Go figure smile.gif

This post has been edited by Fran: Jul 21 2010, 11:32 PM

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Staffy
Jul 21 2010, 11:40 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Jul 21 2010, 09:20 PM) *
Staffay thats a great story man! How come your laptop didn't burn out in the oven? Very cool thing to do (you saved 500$+ investment) smile.gif

500$ ?? This laptop was like 2500$... I've done this a lot of times with keyboards, the trick is to use 40, max 45 degrees...

Unfortunately my E-MU 04/04 and my Logitech wireless keyboard went to the rats.... sad.gif

//Staffay

QUOTE (Fran @ Jul 22 2010, 12:32 AM) *
Yeah, glad to hear it worked smile.gif

My girlfriend once had her cell phone fall into water, and she googled for a solution which happenned to be letting the phone rest in rice for a night. Worked like a charm!, it seems the rice absorbs humidity pretty weel from electronic devices. Go figure smile.gif

Yeah, thats sounds perfectly ok in my ears since rice is absorbing water, but that would have been a LARGE bin of rice for my lap-top. Thx. for the tip though, I will remember this. (since I dropped some mobiles in water as well... tongue.gif )

//Staffay

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
Jul 22 2010, 05:13 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Great to hear you got it working.. reminds me of doing the same for my first ever walkman that I drowned in water. smile.gif

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:54 AM