1 Terabyte Online Storage?
Todd Simpson
Aug 28 2014, 03:13 AM
GMC:er
As you guys know I'm a HUGE fan of DROPBOX for use in collaborating and file sharing. I"m using it currently to share audio file projects. It's a HUGE time saver to be able to open a big logic or reaper file, make changes, save it, then just close reaper and have it automatically update so that somewhere else on planet earth, someone else can open the new version just by opening their dropbox folder on their own computer.

I've been paying (I hate paying, but such is life) for the pro plan which is around $10 per month but I just got some great news. for FREE they are giving out 10x the storage!!! Yup, same price, 1 Terabyte of data. wow.

I've started keeping my iphoto library, my iTunes library and wads of other stuff on dropbox. I"m moving more and more toward the "cloud" it seems. Of course, this assumes you have a broadband internet connection, without which the service is entirely pointless. But if you do have broadband, this can be a huge timesaver!!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 9)
PosterBoy
Sep 5 2014, 01:02 PM
Learning Roadie
Have you looked at Mega.co.nz?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 6 2014, 02:40 AM
I'm using the paid version of dropbox. Gotta say I LOVE it. Having it back itself up and not worrying about my files is pretty nice and makes project sharing easier as well.

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Sep 5 2014, 08:02 AM) *
Have you looked at Mega.co.nz?

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Sep 7 2014, 05:39 AM
Dropbox is a known NSA surveillance target, they where probably paid out and therefore afforded to up the space... All ya data is now belong to us!

https://spideroak.com is it's replacement due to privacy invasion.

I personally hate all cloud networks - Office 365 had a backdoor in which anyone smart enough could access all your personal documents... Microsoft didn't fix that hole for over a year.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Sep 7 2014, 11:44 AM
QUOTE (Azzaboi @ Sep 6 2014, 09:39 PM) *
Dropbox is a known NSA surveillance target

They ALL are. Spideroak and a few others may encrypt on individual rigs before uploading/downloading/transferring but since I know that - I can only assume the NSA/prism (or a hacker) knows that too and has most likely figured a way around it. If they want it, they'll get it.

Are you (and would you be) backing up anything anyone really wants to see ... ?
Keep the weird shit on a hard drive at home.

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Sep 8 2014, 08:12 AM
Learning Roadie
Keep the weird sh1t on a usb stick on your person at all times!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Spock
Sep 8 2014, 10:33 AM
I've pretty much come to grips that people at the NSA sit around and watch me walk through the house in my underwear.

Everything has a camera now days - i bet there's one embedded in my dishwasher too, and the bathroom exhaust fan.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Sep 8 2014, 03:19 PM
Yeah, the NSA now knows way more about Fender Telecasters and altered harmony from watching me (in my shorts) and reading my online activity.

*I'm glad all my freaky stuff was done pre internet. I'm over being radically controversial at this point in my life. Getting my kid to school on time and guitar playing is about it now.

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Sep 8 2014, 08:18 PM
Ever since NSA caused Syria's Internet Blackout in 2012, while spying by hacking into a router and accidentally bricking it (Tailored Access Operations) and kept their mouths shut about it - letting the Government blame terrorists, and visa versa... starting a large amount of the warfare between the two.

Also, I don't approve of the NSA Virus and Trojans they have created just in order to snoop - which most virus scanners are paid off to ignore and allow full access. I consider them worst than the terrorists or hackers themselves.

At least a hacker would have some morals. Anonymous hackers spend an entire 3 years spying on the government spying on others (undetected)... 3 government networks in NZ was compromised and they didn't even use that personal data, rather simply watched how the government was already abusing it.

I don't personally have any data to hide, but would you simply let a hacker know your password to access it all and do nothing anyways? NSA is just another hacker, compromising people's data and that makes it easier for others as well - when they go about paying off companies to add backdoors, etc - which are meant to be secure and encrypted.

Look what they did to TrueCrypt, just because they didn't want to get paid out:
http://truecrypt.sourceforge.net/

"WARNING: Using TrueCrypt is not secure as it may contain unfixed security issues"

I consider that scare tactics and even defacement... At that same point of time, BitLocker was paid a large sum for including a backdoor by the NSA. Previously TrueCrypt was 100% secure and even used by Snowden against the NSA. That latest version of TrueCrypt was also re-written and it's marked as compromised/unsecure... It's strongly believed the FBI and/or the NSA bullied the developers and forced them to this as to the way the developers just left and acted around it.

Plus careful wording included:
"Using TrueCrypt is Not Secure As"

But hey, I'm a sucker for conspiracy theories. It's not the first time, US has bullied others to conformity of their own standards.

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Sep 8 2014, 08:45 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 10 2014, 08:32 PM
Yeah, keep the crazy stuff off THE CLOUD. I'm talking about using it like you would use your project drive at home. If the NSA wants to scan my music creations, that's fine smile.gif

QUOTE (Azzaboi @ Sep 8 2014, 03:18 PM) *
Ever since NSA caused Syria's Internet Blackout in 2012, while spying by hacking into a router and accidentally bricking it ..
But hey, I'm a sucker for conspiracy theories. It's not the first time, US has bullied others to conformity of their own standards.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:13 PM