Advice On A New Guitar ?
Scoob
Mar 19 2007, 04:15 AM
GMC:er
I have been looking around the site and read posts mentioning the Musician's Friend Website.

There is a guitar there : "Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany Electric Guitar"
here is the URL: Vintage Les Paul

I would appreciate anyone's input on this item. I have always had Yamaha guitars and I have have had my SE350 for a long time. I have had Les Paul copies but never a true Gibson.

If anyone has this actual guitar and can give me some advice, or any advice based on experiance I would appreciate it. The price seems great for the guitar.

Last Poll: Faded Cherry or Worn Brown?

Thanks in advance

Scoob

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Scoob: Mar 19 2007, 04:26 AM

--------------------
GEAR
guitars: Yamaha SE 350, Yamaha FG-360, Jay Turser JT134 Natural Quilt Top, Dean Vendetta, Squire Telecaster (Project to modify to better guitar. New Pickups and electrical parts done).
amp: Peavey Rage 108
amp Marshall ATV20X - Just bought Mar. 2007
effects: KORG AX3G (Multi), EBOW, Danelectro Free Speech Talkbox. Old Flanger and Chorus
Interface: IK Multimedia STEALTH PLUG
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
moorkop
Mar 19 2007, 11:44 AM
can't help you on the gibson

but worn brown, definetly cool.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
gear
guitar: ibanez SA 260 FM
amp: hughes & ketler blue edition 60 wts (in garage)
amp you hear: crappy yahama borrowed from friend
effects: dunlop jimi hendrix wahwah

+Quote Post
MickeM
Mar 19 2007, 03:28 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Scoob @ Mar 19 2007, 04:15 AM) *
There is a guitar there : "Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany Electric Guitar"

I'm puzzled by the pu's... The link description at the link you gave doesn't say anything about 490R and 498T pu's but instead "Gibson's Alnico V BurstBucker Pro humbuckers"

Like here for.ex FlyingV where is says 496R/500T (which IMHO are a lot hotter than 490/498). But the Flying V is somewhat unfriendly to play sitting down...

But my point is. What pickups are there really on that LP?

+Quote Post
Scoob
Mar 20 2007, 12:46 AM
BurstBucker Info from Gibson

QUOTE (MickeM @ Mar 19 2007, 06:28 AM) *
I'm puzzled by the pu's... The link description at the link you gave doesn't say anything about 490R and 498T pu's but instead "Gibson's Alnico V BurstBucker Pro humbuckers"

Like here for.ex FlyingV where is says 496R/500T (which IMHO are a lot hotter than 490/498). But the Flying V is somewhat unfriendly to play sitting down...

But my point is. What pickups are there really on that LP?

I found this info on the Gibson site BurstBucker Pickup info

Here is a small Blurb as well:

"BurstBucker ProTM humbuckers are offered in a calibrated pair; the neck position (IM59A), and the bridge position (IM59B). Output of these pickups is similar to the standard BurstBuckerT #1 and #2 model. And BurstBucker ProTM pickups are wax potted so that they can withstand loud volume pressures without annoying feedback. Each model is available with either German Nickel Silver- or 24ct Gold-plated covers."

Any more thoughts after that info ?

I appreciate the fact that you caught the fact that the Pickups are not the usual.

Thanks

Scoob

This post has been edited by Scoob: Mar 20 2007, 12:52 AM

--------------------
GEAR
guitars: Yamaha SE 350, Yamaha FG-360, Jay Turser JT134 Natural Quilt Top, Dean Vendetta, Squire Telecaster (Project to modify to better guitar. New Pickups and electrical parts done).
effects: KORG AX3G (Multi), EBOW, Danelectro Free Speech Talkbox. Old Flanger and Chorus

+Quote Post
MickeM
Mar 20 2007, 11:54 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Mid page there's some reading/reviews on burstbuckers
Gibson pu's

+Quote Post
Zee Deveel
Mar 20 2007, 01:06 PM
If you like Gibsons, they can be fantastic guitars for the money. Just make sure you play on the one you're going to buy, don't order it online. I have a friend who works in a guitar stor and owns 20 or so, he says the quality control is poor so their instruments range from fantastic to utter crap and all with the same price tag.

--------------------
Guitars - Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Seymour Duncan JB), Schecter Omen 6 Extreme FR, Squier Affinity Strat, Yamaha F-301 Acoustic

Pedals - Line 6 Uber Metal, Line 6 Echo Park, Jim Dunlop GCB95 Cry Baby, MXR Phase 90, Boss NS-2, Digitech WH-4, Boss TR-2, Boss TU-2, Behringer 7 Band EQ

Amps - Marshall AV50 Head + Cab, Marshall AVT100 112, Line 6 Spider 112, Fender Frontman

+Quote Post
Scoob
Mar 20 2007, 01:15 PM
Thanks to everyone who replied

Was helpful for sure

Now I need to decide

Thanks again

Scoob

--------------------
GEAR

+Quote Post
brandon
Mar 20 2007, 03:56 PM
hey scoob, just some additional adive if you haven't already decided. you should look into a guitar brand called "Tokai" it's a korean guitar company that's been around a long time. they make gibson copies. they use a lot of the same materials and the two big differences are that 1. they're a lot cheaper and 2. they're still hand made,...unlike gibson who is mass produced now. check it out: this is my friends band www.myspace.com/birdsofavalon (who one of the guitarists uses a Tokai,...the sunburst les paul) and my old band www.myspace.com/thunderlip (who one of the guitarist uses a gibson and the other uses a tokai..the sunburst les paul as well,..the gibson is the all black guitar). you would have a hard time telling the difference between the two guitar, both sound and look awesome. don't get me wrong, i love my gibson sg, but the next guitar i get is definitely going to be a Tokai. also, if you go with either i would replace the vingtage tuning keys(if it comes with them) with either grover or ping sealed back tuning keys. it'll decrease the value of the guitar a little, but if you plan on keeping it around it will help it stay in tune much better.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:30 AM