2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Good Traveller ?
Ben Higgins
Sep 9 2011, 09:49 AM
Instructor
..or not ?

I've got to drive up to a gig this afternoon.. I'm giving myself longer for the journey because it's Friday and Birmingham (where the gig is) is notoriously bad for traffic.

My question is, do you cope well with long journeys or do you hate travelling ?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Sep 9 2011, 10:59 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Not too long ago I had to make a 10 hour round trip drive in one day. I was driving through some not so familiar places at time so the scenery could be nice, and I also had music blaring nice and loud, so I actually quite enjoyed it. Driving along the highway, listening to my favorite tunes, nice time to myself.

My theory is, If I can listen to music while I do it - I'm set.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 9 2011, 11:05 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Sep 9 2011, 10:59 AM) *
Not too long ago I had to make a 10 hour round trip drive in one day. I was driving through some not so familiar places at time so the scenery could be nice, and I also had music blaring nice and loud, so I actually quite enjoyed it. Driving along the highway, listening to my favorite tunes, nice time to myself.

My theory is, If I can listen to music while I do it - I'm set.

Yeah, the music makes all the difference doesn't it ? The difficult thing for me is I still only have a cd player in my car so I can't change the album unless I stop somewhere ! rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Sep 9 2011, 11:10 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Yeah I only use CD's anyway cause I love how it sounds better. My CD player has a little cubby hole though where I can keep about 3 CD's at the ready so I can change em out as I go. On long drive I usually bring long albums with me, Dream Theater, Between The Buried And Me, Opeth, and then a couple random albums.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 9 2011, 11:12 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Sep 9 2011, 11:10 AM) *
Yeah I only use CD's anyway cause I love how it sounds better. My CD player has a little cubby hole though where I can keep about 3 CD's at the ready so I can change em out as I go. On long drive I usually bring long albums with me, Dream Theater, Between The Buried And Me, Opeth, and then a couple random albums.

Haha, yes if I know I've got a long drive I'll have an Opeth cd ready too laugh.gif

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Sep 9 2011, 11:23 AM
GMC:er
I'm not a huge fan of traveling, I live a very short distance from work and I can't stand driving it. Now that I think of it the guitar shops are about 3 times farther and I love those drives. laugh.gif I just load up on some good driving tunes when I have to go long distances for whatever reason.

The only thing that can make or break me going would be the weather, I'm not a fan of driving in a thunderstorm. Also snow I had a few bad experiences, one time I was on a long open road and everyone was creeping along because the road turned to a sheet of ice. Next thing I know half the cars were in the ditch, I was pretty shaken up watching that since I thought I was going to get hit.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 9 2011, 12:16 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Well living in Spain I tend to regard anything less than 2 hours in a car as local and a long drive here for me would be over 5 hours. We've driven, with a few overnight stops, from The NE in England to Plymouth, got the ferry to Santander (N Spain) and then driven down to Cadiz. Not sure how far that is but its over 1000km.

I spent 18 months in the UK when I lived in the NE but my place of work was in Cheshire. I used to get up at 6am in the NE and drive to work on a Monday to be there for 9am. Stay with friends for the week and then drive home on a Friday, starting at @5pm and getting home about 9 (lots of heavy traffic). On quite a few Monday mornings I'd have a meeting in Cardiff or London and so I'd drive there from home instead, usually setting off at about 4am. If it was Cardiff I'd then drive back to the office in Cheshire at the end of the meeting.

When I was in the UK I also regularly had to drive from the NE to Southampton as my wife's family lived there - about 7 hours in a car. I can still remember one trip, just me and my daughter who was 4 at the time. Ten miles after we had set off to Southampton she asked, 'Are we nearly there yet? How long is it going to be?'. She kept that up every five or so minutes. I finally lost it just south of Newbury (about 5 hours), slammed on the breaks and told her to shut up, something I wouldn't normally do. She was so shocked she did shut up - for about 1/2 an hour and then started again. I'd given up the will to live by then though. We got to Southampton at about 10 pm and my daughter was still wide awake. My wife, who had flown down 2 days before, told me she was tired and left me to sort out our daughter and settle her for bed.

This post has been edited by tonymiro: Sep 9 2011, 12:16 PM

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 9 2011, 12:37 PM
Instructor
I got used to traveling in between 1 and 4 hours to gigs, so it's not a big deal when going there. The biggest problem is returning in 6 in the morning and carrying gear, but well, tomorrow everything is OK.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 9 2011, 01:20 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Sep 9 2011, 12:37 PM) *
The biggest problem is returning in 6 in the morning and carrying gear,

Totally !! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Sep 9 2011, 03:03 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
When I got Music or audio books, I just love travelling.
To get the new job I have now (by the way, the first week was pretty great, my new colleagues are really nice and are all very interested in the new guy from up north laugh.gif ) I had to attend three job interviews. Since I was still working at my old job at that time, I had to drive 550 km to the interview (took about 6 hours), then I got interviewed for one hour and I drove 6 hours back. I listened to loads of audiobooks at that time wink.gif

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Sep 9 2011, 03:34 PM
Instructor
Yeah, music and driving can be a really great combination for long journey, and you can sing out loud! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Sep 9 2011, 10:38 PM
Instructor
I've traveled so much that I felt sick when should sit in the car! wacko.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Sep 10 2011, 01:42 AM
Learning Tone Master
I love driving out of town,
and the smell of a different city early sat.or sunday morning when there is no traffic
my last trip I drove ( with a 10 and 8 ytr. old , my daughters) from beaufort S. Carolina to kansas in a strait shot( half way across the US) --23 and a half hours,the last two hours I cheated and had a cafeine drink

This post has been edited by jstcrsn: Sep 10 2011, 01:43 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 10 2011, 09:51 AM
Instructor
I use to be inside the studio or my home for days so when I have to do a journey for a gig or something I really enjoy it... the more far the better for me... smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 10 2011, 03:00 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 10 2011, 10:51 AM) *
I use to be inside the studio or my home for days so when I have to do a journey for a gig or something I really enjoy it... the more far the better for me... smile.gif

Yeah, gigs can experienced like traveling/excursions often smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 10 2011, 03:54 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Sep 10 2011, 01:42 AM) *
from beaufort S. Carolina to kansas in a strait shot( half way across the US) --23 and a half hours,the last two hours I cheated and had a cafeine drink

Ouch !! Thant's what you call a long journey !! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 10 2011, 08:09 PM
Instructor
Indeed, 23 hours is more like an adventure man smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Sep 11 2011, 12:50 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I like travelling, but I hate driving long distances alone!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 13 2011, 11:21 AM
Instructor
I love traveling with the band biggrin.gif but the thing is, if we get to ride a train for 12 hrs, we turn into mad monkeys and scare people off, so as long as it's under 7-8 hrs, it's ok I guess smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 13 2011, 12:54 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 13 2011, 11:21 AM) *
I love traveling with the band biggrin.gif but the thing is, if we get to ride a train for 12 hrs, we turn into mad monkeys and scare people off, so as long as it's under 7-8 hrs, it's ok I guess smile.gif

Yeah, trains do weird things to you.. for some reason I really enjoyed using the London Underground when the band went to London. Although not so sure i'd like it at night.. wink.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:36 AM