3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Effect Pedals
Davidian
Aug 15 2007, 03:35 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
How do you put 'em on your guitar? (This 'expression might not be right, but I don't know how to say it in English)

Is it like: amp -----cable------- pedal -----cable-------- guitar?
Or do you have to put them on your guitar some other way?

And hi everybody!
I'm new to GMC, and it rules!
Hope it will learn me a lot of new stuff!

Davidian.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Music is supposed to break down walls, smash through barriers; and free your mind!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 15 2007, 03:55 AM
Instructor
I connect them like this:

Guitar->wah->distortion->delay->amp

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Davidian
Aug 15 2007, 05:56 AM
Thanks, Pavel! biggrin.gif
And is the rank of the pedals important?
Can you for example also put them like this:
Guitar --- Dist. ---- Delay ---- Wah ---- Amp ?

--------------------
Music is supposed to break down walls, smash through barriers; and free your mind!

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 15 2007, 06:38 AM
Instructor
It depends on a pedal manufacturer and the effect the pedal does! When i bought the Boss PW-10 Wah i connected in last in a row - so it was wah->amp and it did a horrible sound and i thought my pedal was broken. But one i connected it First in a row it worked great! So you have to experiment with it!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 15 2007, 06:46 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Pavel @ Aug 15 2007, 01:38 AM) *
It depends on a pedal manufacturer and the effect the pedal does! When i bought the Boss PW-10 Wah i connected in last in a row - so it was wah->amp and it did a horrible sound and i thought my pedal was broken. But one i connected it First in a row it worked great! So you have to experiment with it!

In particular, Wah before and after dostortion give a very different sound - more harmonics in a distorted sound for the Wah pedal to work on. SOmetimes that is ok, sometimes it isn't depends on the effect you want and the pedals themselves, so Take Pavels advice and try it out all ways and settle on what you like best.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 15 2007, 06:49 AM
Learning Tone Master
Wah always belongs before an overdrive/distortion because the wah drives the sound a bit on it's own. Otherway round you'll get the problem Pavel faced: Muddy Sound

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Davidian
Aug 15 2007, 07:04 AM
And what if I want to use a wah with the built-in distortion of my amp?
Will that give a muddy sound?

And thanks for all the fast replies! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hemlok
Aug 15 2007, 07:33 AM
GMC:er
what cable to you connect the pedals with? it is just a short 1/4" amp leads right?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 15 2007, 07:34 AM
QUOTE (Hemlok @ Aug 15 2007, 02:33 AM) *
what cable to you connect the pedals with? it is just a short 1/4" amp leads right?

Right.

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Hemlok
Aug 15 2007, 07:38 AM
well in that case, know any online places to get em? because i am a good 18 hours drive from the nearest music store

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 15 2007, 07:45 AM
QUOTE (Hemlok @ Aug 15 2007, 02:38 AM) *
well in that case, know any online places to get em? because i am a good 18 hours drive from the nearest music store

LOL. stuck in the outback mate? They are usually called patch cables, and about a foot long. Of course you need 2 long cables, one from guitar to first effect, and one from the last effect to the amp, all in between can be patch cables.

Not living in the Antipodies I don;t know any good stores but doa search for patch cables and see what you can pull up.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Nick325
Aug 15 2007, 07:49 AM
QUOTE (Hemlok @ Aug 15 2007, 02:38 AM) *

i found this and this

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 15 2007, 09:19 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
If you don't have an effects loop then the common way is, as most have already said:

guitar>wah>compressor>distortion>phaser/flanger (or other time delay type effects)>amp input

and with a loop as above plus:
into the loop eq>chorus>delay>reverb.

Generally its worth experimenting a bit as you can reverse the compressor and distortion and/or compressor and wah and sometimes get a better tone - really depends a great deal on the pedals. But it's nearly always better to put any time based effect AFTER a distortion.

One thing - use good quality patch cables - cheap ones can spoil your tone ohmy.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 15 2007, 10:28 AM
Instructor
Yeah,Tony is right about cables,you're not rich enough to buy cheap stuff...
And if you use drive from an amp then
you still have wah before drive, which is the most common option after all smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Aug 15 2007, 11:03 AM
You will find that you will get a different sound every time you change the order.Some sound worse than other's i would look online to get the best set-up if your using stomp boxes. smile.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
Hemlok
Aug 15 2007, 05:50 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Aug 15 2007, 02:45 PM) *
I don't know any good stores but do a search for patch cables and see what you can pull up.

Thanks! I didn't know what they were called.

QUOTE (Nick325 @ Aug 15 2007, 02:49 PM) *
i found this and this

Cheers for the links Nick!

- Hemlok

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 16 2007, 12:54 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Hemlok @ Aug 15 2007, 06:50 PM) *
Thanks! I didn't know what they were called.
Cheers for the links Nick!

- Hemlok

And the ones from Nick's two links I prefer is the ones shaped like an "L" in both ends. Real space savers those and they still allow you to freely set the distance between the pedals if you need em further apart (in oppose to the plug-plug)

+Quote Post
Davidian
Aug 16 2007, 04:32 AM
Thanks to everybody for the answers! I get it now!
Hemloks question came in handy too ^^

But I still have another thing that I'm kind of bothered with...
And that is: what's the difference between Overdrive and Distortion?

Thanks!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 16 2007, 05:48 AM
Instructor
Distortion has much more gain than Overdrive and is used for heavier stuff. Overdrive can even sound like it's some hard clean sound if put to a low gain so basically Overdrive is VERY VERY low distortion.

These patch cables are impossible to find in Croatia so i had to make my own for my pedals.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 16 2007, 05:58 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Davidian @ Aug 16 2007, 05:32 AM) *
Thanks to everybody for the answers! I get it now!
Hemloks question came in handy too ^^

But I still have another thing that I'm kind of bothered with...
And that is: what's the difference between Overdrive and Distortion?

Thanks!

Never payed it much though but I'd say that an overdrive increase a signal while the distortion alters the signal.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:05 AM