Guitar Signal Cuts Out, Help please?
thefireball
Feb 13 2011, 07:40 PM
Learning Roadie
Problem fixed. See below at post 12 to see what went wrong.

I have a problem with my guitar, I think. The video explains. Thanks for any help you can provide. I was thinking I could maybe fix it on my own?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by thefireball: Feb 18 2011, 10:10 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 13 2011, 08:50 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I'm thinking it's one of two things. Either a bad soldering or, if you look at the jack (inside that is) it's got to connect in two places. Maybe the tip is skew and when you wiggle the cord back and forth you lose connection at the tip. (if you open up and have a look yo'll understand laugh.gif )

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
thefireball
Feb 13 2011, 09:03 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (MickeM @ Feb 13 2011, 01:50 PM) *
I'm thinking it's one of two things. Either a bad soldering or, if you look at the jack (inside that is) it's got to connect in two places. Maybe the tip is skew and when you wiggle the cord back and forth you lose connection at the tip. (if you open up and have a look yo'll understand laugh.gif )

Yeah, I took a peek inside the hole in the guitar and I see the 2 connection places. So is it something with the cord? Do I need a new cord? Or can I somehow make a fix in the guitar?

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 13 2011, 09:11 PM
QUOTE (thefireball @ Feb 13 2011, 09:03 PM) *
Yeah, I took a peek inside the hole in the guitar and I see the 2 connection places. So is it something with the cord? Do I need a new cord? Or can I somehow make a fix in the guitar?

Not the cord, the jack.

+Quote Post
thefireball
Feb 13 2011, 09:29 PM
Learning Roadie
Oh yeah, I think I figured out the problem. I think it was the cord tip that was skewed as you said. I tried another cord I had. There's only that one that wiggles very much. Apparently it was the only one messed up. I tried another cord and it didn't have much give to it - stayed in one place more so. The signal didn't cut in and out. At first I heard some static, but then I just unplugged and plugged in the cord again, and it stopped. I think this problem came from the "bed shredding". I probably put pressure on the cord tip and skewed it - even though it has an elbow on it. I guess I'll just use the messed up one for something other than the one I plug to my guitar.

Thanks, I think the problem is solved, at least for now. I need to become more aware of this, since this is probably the problem. The connections seemed to be fine inside the guitar and the cord tip. It doesn't look like there's anything wrong with the cord, but the give it has whilst in the jack speaks for itself. I hope this fixed the problem. smile.gif

---

You know, it might be a multi-problem going on here. I notice also when I mess with the tone knob it gives a small amount of static. Hmm

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Feb 13 2011, 09:38 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Invest in some contact cleaner and spray it in your jack and in your pots. After you spray it in your pots turn the knobs back and forth to work the dirt out. That should get some of the static out of your pots. As far as the jack, you could take it out and bend the two pins closer together so it makes a tighter contact with the cable. If that still doesn't work, you can always buy a new one and change it, they're very cheap and easy to change.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
thefireball
Feb 13 2011, 09:59 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Feb 13 2011, 02:38 PM) *
Invest in some contact cleaner and spray it in your jack and in your pots. After you spray it in your pots turn the knobs back and forth to work the dirt out. That should get some of the static out of your pots. As far as the jack, you could take it out and bend the two pins closer together so it makes a tighter contact with the cable. If that still doesn't work, you can always buy a new one and change it, they're very cheap and easy to change.

Cool, I'll do that. smile.gif Thanks.

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Feb 13 2011, 11:47 PM
Instructor
I would pay to get it fixed good, but I dunno

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Feb 14 2011, 01:33 AM
Learning Tone Master
and i would like to add ,to stop the noise
stop wiggling the cable laugh.gif

+Quote Post
thefireball
Feb 14 2011, 02:50 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Feb 13 2011, 06:33 PM) *
and i would like to add ,to stop the noise
stop wiggling the cable laugh.gif

biggrin.gif But that can't helped sometimes. I play standing up or sitting down and it shifts in the jack and cuts out. I used my other cord tonight at church. I performed with little problem. The only problem was static at one point. I just unplugged it and plugged it back in real fast. That fixed it. I think that particular problem can be fixed with contact cleaner. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Feb 14 2011, 05:04 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Another thing you can try is getting some 400 grit sandpaper, roll it into a tube, and insert it into the jack. Then twist it and try to scrub the terminals inside the jack. Or you could violate your guitar and thrust it in and out, but I don't think that would be as effective tongue.gif Then just spray it down with some contact cleaner and you're good to go.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
thefireball
Feb 18 2011, 10:15 PM
Learning Roadie
I took the guitar to the shop today, while I was at college, and got the problem identified. It was not the guitar. It was the cable I was using. He said the cable was going in too far. That is found common in cheaper cables. (And my jack is the kind that is molded in and all closed off, as opposed to seeing the cable plugged in from the inside with cover off.) He sold me another cable - top of the line - and the problem is no more! smile.gif It's a 20 foot cable - yay! I wanted a new cable anyways. He only charged me for the cable. He also set up my guitar because the bridge was too low - it was buzzing. It only took him about 5 minutes, he said. I was glad. smile.gif

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 18 2011, 11:34 PM
QUOTE (thefireball @ Feb 18 2011, 10:15 PM) *
He only charged me for the cable. He also set up my guitar because the bridge was too low - it was buzzing. It only took him about 5 minutes, he said. I was glad. smile.gif

Sounds like you're good to go cool.gif Nice to hear problem is solved.
I think it's good advice to invest in quality cables. And cheaper. May it be three times the price of a cheap one but it'll last 10 times longer and problem free playing is also worth something. smile.gif

+Quote Post
thefireball
Feb 18 2011, 11:43 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (MickeM @ Feb 18 2011, 04:34 PM) *
Sounds like you're good to go cool.gif Nice to hear problem is solved.
I think it's good advice to invest in quality cables. And cheaper. May it be three times the price of a cheap one but it'll last 10 times longer and problem free playing is also worth something. smile.gif

Yep. And the good thing is that it still works pretty decent on my other cheaper guitars. tongue.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:58 AM