Grindguer's June Mtp Thread, Weekly assignments and uploads here
Pedja Simovic
Jun 3 2010, 09:27 PM
Instructor
Hello GrindGuer!

We are starting with your MTP for June in this thread. From now on, you will post all your work in this thread. Recorded videos should be posted on Youtube and embedded here. Now onto your 1st assignment which is related to fretboard knowledge, improvisation, theory and harmony!

1st assignment :
Superimposing with minor pentatonics + improvising

- Read Superimposing with Minor Pentatonics post HERE
- After reading the whole thing with related link posts, think about choosing one chord and one approach you will use for recording!
- After you have chosen your approach, record a backing track with that chord and on top of that record yourself soloing with 1 or all 3 minor pentatonics corresponding with that mode!
- Post your work in this thread.

Let me give you an example here. Lets say that you have chosen A minor as your chord. Now you also chose A minor to be treated as II (Dorian sounding). In that case you should play minor pentatonics from G major scale ( A , B and E minor pentatonics) over A min chord in the background. 4th assignment asks you only to pick 1 but it also allows you to use all 3 pentatonics if you want to.
Backing track doesn't have to be anything fancy for this purpose. Just guitar playing the chord will do, if you want to add bass and drums to that to make it sound tighter go ahead!

Deadline for this assignment is 9th of June!

Good luck with it and feel free to ask me any questions in this thread.

Pedja

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GrindGuer
Jun 5 2010, 07:04 PM
Experienced Rock Star & Challenge Star
Hi Pedja,
If I play on a C major chord, is that right that I can play A pentatonic, D pentatonic (which sounds weird) and E pentatonic ?
Thanks

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
�Million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.�
― Terry Pratchett, The Light Fantastic

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jun 5 2010, 07:35 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (GrindGuer @ Jun 5 2010, 08:04 PM) *
Hi Pedja,
If I play on a C major chord, is that right that I can play A pentatonic, D pentatonic (which sounds weird) and E pentatonic ?
Thanks

Hi GrindGuer,
That is correct, if you have in mind C major as Ionian mode and that all the pentatonics you mentioned are minor smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
GrindGuer
Jun 5 2010, 08:47 PM
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Jun 5 2010, 08:35 PM) *
Hi GrindGuer,
That is correct, if you have in mind C major as Ionian mode and that all the pentatonics you mentioned are minor smile.gif

I thought of C major as Ionian mode, that's right. But I didn't know that pentatonics had major and minor mode... Could you tell me how it works ? Or tell me where I can find the answer ?
Edit : OK, I think I found out the definition of the major/minor pentatonics.
For the minor one, the intervals are : root / minor third / perfect fourth / perfect fifth / minor seven
For the major one, the intervals are : root / major second / major third / perfect fifth / major sixth
But I don't understand why the perfect fourth, major second and major sixth. Is it only to "fill the emptiness" ? smile.gif
Thank you so much Pedja. smile.gif

This post has been edited by GrindGuer: Jun 6 2010, 10:08 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jun 7 2010, 10:01 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (GrindGuer @ Jun 5 2010, 09:47 PM) *
I thought of C major as Ionian mode, that's right. But I didn't know that pentatonics had major and minor mode... Could you tell me how it works ? Or tell me where I can find the answer ?
Edit : OK, I think I found out the definition of the major/minor pentatonics.
For the minor one, the intervals are : root / minor third / perfect fourth / perfect fifth / minor seven
For the major one, the intervals are : root / major second / major third / perfect fifth / major sixth
But I don't understand why the perfect fourth, major second and major sixth. Is it only to "fill the emptiness" ? smile.gif
Thank you so much Pedja. smile.gif

Hey GrindGuer,

Glad you found your way around smile.gif
Regarding your question, these notes are used (like you said) to "fill the emptiness" but also because they exist in actual major and minor scales and are important tensions of the chord (9 11 and 13 = 2 4 and 6). We shall talk about it more in the future, I would like to get your assignment first wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
GrindGuer
Jun 7 2010, 04:42 PM
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Jun 7 2010, 11:01 AM) *
We shall talk about it more in the future, I would like to get your assignment first wink.gif
OK. Thanks. I'll record my assignment tomorrow.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jun 7 2010, 04:43 PM
Instructor
Fantastic man, look forward to it. If you are around in about 45 minutes, I will be doing video chat on GMC so join me in the chat room and lets discuss all the questions you have!

--------------------

+Quote Post
GrindGuer
Jun 8 2010, 05:08 PM
Hey Pedja,
I've been spending some time with your first assignment. I used a C major chord and played using A minor pentatonic. I found it really difficult to improvise on this one chord. Here what I came with. Not perfect, my rhythmic placement is sometimes out. Sorry about that sad.gif. Tell me if you want me to spend some much time on it and make another recording.
Cheers
Attached File  Pedja_MTP_1st_assignment.mp3 ( 437.96K ) Number of downloads: 211

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jun 8 2010, 05:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (GrindGuer @ Jun 8 2010, 06:08 PM) *
Hey Pedja,
I've been spending some time with your first assignment. I used a C major chord and played using A minor pentatonic. I found it really difficult to improvise on this one chord. Here what I came with. Not perfect, my rhythmic placement is sometimes out. Sorry about that sad.gif. Tell me if you want me to spend some much time on it and make another recording.
Cheers
Attached File  Pedja_MTP_1st_assignment.mp3 ( 437.96K ) Number of downloads: 211

Hey GrindGuer,

I think this record is very good. I don't see anything wrong with your playing melodically, you did very good. Rhythm placement could be stronger on some spots, tighter playing overall is required but this recording naturally swings the way you are improvising. You are not required to do more for this assignment however, you got 2 more days left until deadline. Feel free to do more recordings or this time pick a different minor pentatonic over C major chord!

Pedja

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jun 12 2010, 04:24 PM
Instructor
Here is your 2nd assignment GrindGuer!

2nd assignment :
Theory and Harmony essay

This assignment is sort of like an essay or written theory behind your current level of knowledge. This will help me totally understand where you at right now. I will give you couple of topics from which you can choose one (or more if you want to!) and write me as many things as possible about it. The deadline for this assignment is 19th of June. Here are the topics for your 2nd assignment :

1) Tell me everything you know about major scale. Construction, intervals, harmony and everything else you feel I need to know.
2) Tell me everything you know about cadences in major scale and its modes. Use C major scale for explanations.
3) Tell me everything you know about major scale modes?
4) Tell me everything you know about modal harmony?
5) Tell me everything you know about pentatonic scales?
6) Tell me everything you know about chord tone and tension relationship with harmony ?
7) Tell me everything you know about natural/harmonic/melodic minor scale harmony?
8) Tell me everything you know about natural/harmonic/melodic minor modes and harmony?

Remember, pick one (or more if you can do it by deadline) and write me as much as possible on given subject. I want to read and understand how you approach and understand given material.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Pedja

--------------------

+Quote Post
GrindGuer
Jun 12 2010, 05:05 PM
Hey Pedja,

I've started to work on the first item.

The major scale
The major scale is also known as the Ionian scale.
The C major scale is made with C – D – E – F – G – A – B notes which are the root, major second, major third, perfect fourth, perfect fifth, perfect sixth and major seventh.
The intervals are the following : 1 – 1 – 1/2 – 1 – 1 – 1 – 1/2 .

I don't know if it's enough. This is hardly all that I know about it.
If it's OK with you, I will edit this post when I'll do the following questions.

Major scale modes
There is 7 major scale modes :
  • Ionian - major mode with major seventh : 1 - 1 - 1/2 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1/2
  • Dorian - minor mode with minor seventh: 1 - 1/2 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1/2 - 1
  • Phrygian - minor mode with minor seventh: 1/2 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1/2 - 1 - 1
  • Lydian - major mode with major seventh: 1 - 1 - 1 - 1/2 - 1 - 1 - 1/2
  • Mixolydian - major mode with minor seventh: 1 - 1 - 1/2 - 1 - 1 - 1/2 - 1
  • Aeolian - minor mode with minor seventh: 1 - 1/2 - 1 - 1 - 1/2 - 1 - 1
  • Locrian - minor mode with diminished fifth and minor seventh: 1/2 - 1 - 1 - 1/2 - 1 - 1 - 1

Pentatonic scales
It's made of 5 notes.
For the minor pentatonic, the intervals are : root / minor third / perfect fourth / perfect fifth / minor seven
For the major pentatonic, the intervals are : root / major second / major third / perfect fifth / major sixth

That's all I know so far. I've read tour article on cadences with major scale, but I don't understand the logic behind this. I suppose it's not something you just have to learn. But I don't understand how it is built.

GrindGuer

This post has been edited by GrindGuer: Jun 19 2010, 03:39 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jun 14 2010, 06:15 PM
Instructor
That is good start GrindGuer. Feel free to answer to any questions you know from the ones that are there.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GrindGuer
Jun 19 2010, 03:40 PM
OK. I've edited my previous post. I realize how poor my knowledge is...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jun 19 2010, 11:10 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (GrindGuer @ Jun 19 2010, 04:40 PM) *
OK. I've edited my previous post. I realize how poor my knowledge is...

That is not true ! You did very good considering we just started with theory and harmony.
For remaining 2 assignments I will have you do something different.

3rd assignment :
Superimposing in 2 different keys!

- Record a backing track focusing on two chords that come from different keys and are not related in one key. For example C major and Eb major!
- Pick your solo approach with pentatonics and state it once you submit audio file of your work.
- Tempo of the backing is your choice!
- Anywhere from 30 seconds up of improvising is acceptable for this assignment!

4th assignment :
REC lesson

- Pick one of the these two lessons found HERE and HERE
- I am providing backing tracks for both in case you want to work on the both!
- Record a video along with backing track provided and submit it for REC.
- Post your work in this thread!

Deadline for these two assignments is 30th of June.

Let me know if you got any questions!

Pedja

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Sequence_collaboration_backing.mp3 ( 688.16K ) Number of downloads: 143
Attached File  Arpeggio_study_in_Bb_major.mp3 ( 1.47MB ) Number of downloads: 164

--------------------

+Quote Post
GrindGuer
Jul 4 2010, 01:26 PM
Hey Pedja, thanks for your concern. Here is my 4th assignment. I'll do the third later today. I'll post the video in the REC section too.
The REC link is the following : https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=35799
Cheers.

This post has been edited by GrindGuer: Jul 4 2010, 02:54 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
GrindGuer
Jul 4 2010, 03:32 PM
And now here is the 3rd assignment. I used a CMaj7 chord with the E minor pentatonic (which is III on the C Ionian scale) and EbMaj7 chord with the C minor pentatonic (which is VI on the E Ionian scale). It's 2 min long, which is more than enough... It become boring I think. I did it all in one shot, that's why there is a bad note at 1:23... Sorry about that.
I bought a sample pedal as you suggested in a post. I'm glad to have it. It's great to jam on chords.

I'm not sure to have understood the notations with 7th.
  • Amin7 means A minor chord with minor 7th
  • A7 means A major chord with minor 7th
  • AMaj7 means A major chord with major 7th

Am I right ? It's disturbing because the "min" is after the chord name, while the "maj" is before the 7th. And A means A major chord, while 7 means minor 7th... Strange isn't it ? smile.gif

I'm sorry to be late for these two assignments. I'll do my best to work faster next time.
Thanks
Attached File  pedja_mtp_3rd_assignment_improvising_on_Cmaj7_EbMaj7.mp3 ( 2.01MB ) Number of downloads: 181

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jul 4 2010, 05:04 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (GrindGuer @ Jul 4 2010, 04:32 PM) *
And now here is the 3rd assignment. I used a CMaj7 chord with the E minor pentatonic (which is III on the C Ionian scale) and EbMaj7 chord with the C minor pentatonic (which is VI on the E Ionian scale). It's 2 min long, which is more than enough... It become boring I think. I did it all in one shot, that's why there is a bad note at 1:23... Sorry about that.
I bought a sample pedal as you suggested in a post. I'm glad to have it. It's great to jam on chords.

I'm not sure to have understood the notations with 7th.
  • Amin7 means A minor chord with minor 7th
  • A7 means A major chord with minor 7th
  • AMaj7 means A major chord with major 7th

Am I right ? It's disturbing because the "min" is after the chord name, while the "maj" is before the 7th. And A means A major chord, while 7 means minor 7th... Strange isn't it ? smile.gif

I'm sorry to be late for these two assignments. I'll do my best to work faster next time.
Thanks
Attached File  pedja_mtp_3rd_assignment_improvising_on_Cmaj7_EbMaj7.mp3 ( 2.01MB ) Number of downloads: 181

That is correct GrindGuer smile.gif Good observations regarding chord notation. Thank you for completing June's work. I will close this thread now for GMC management. I should open new thread tomorrow with new assignments for July!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 07:44 AM