How To Attack A Gmc Lesson?
Im here to succe...
Oct 28 2015, 07:19 PM
GMC:er
Hi guys, I'm interested to know the most effective way(s) to learn and master any GMC lesson. I always try to think "how can i improve my ability to learn" in any aspect of life. So i'm intrigued, is there a more effective way to practise GMC lessons. Such as, would it be more effective to simply learn all the fingerings and positions first and foremost so that i build the muscle memory for each section and to worry about feel, timing, tempo, rhythm etc at a later stage once i know what i'm doing.

How do you tackle a lesson?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Oct 28 2015, 07:56 PM
Learning Tone Master
When I start to learn a lesson I work for each bar separately. After I mastered the first bar with all the details and I have all the things very well fixed in mind (fingerings, position of right hand, picking direction, accents, etc) I go further at next bar. BUT only after my playing for that bar is similar with the original. If one note it doesn't sounds good I play this many hours/days without to get bored until the sounds will be how I want. Also I pay a particular attention at every slow video from lesson.
Another important thing is the fact that I never hurry with a lesson. My purpose is to learn the technique behind not the melody from lesson.
So, for me this is the most successful and easy way to learn a lesson wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Im here to succe...
Oct 28 2015, 08:24 PM
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Oct 28 2015, 06:56 PM) *
When I start to learn a lesson I work for each bar separately. After I mastered the first bar with all the details and I have all the things very well fixed in mind (fingerings, position of right hand, picking direction, accents, etc) I go further at next bar. BUT only after my playing for that bar is similar with the original. If one note it doesn't sounds good I play this many hours/days without to get bored until the sounds will be how I want. Also I pay a particular attention at every slow video from lesson.
Another important thing is the fact that I never hurry with a lesson. My purpose is to learn the technique behind not the melody from lesson.
So, for me this is the most successful and easy way to learn a lesson wink.gif

Interesting stuff. See i never pay attention to picking direction, i'm too fixated on trying to mimic the parts. Maybe that's something i should focus on from now on!
Also the bar by bar approach is also interesting & to learn the technique behind the melody, not the melody is great advice.
Thanks for your input smile.gif

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Oct 28 2015, 09:00 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Im here to succeed @ Oct 28 2015, 07:24 PM) *
Interesting stuff. See i never pay attention to picking direction, i'm too fixated on trying to mimic the parts. Maybe that's something i should focus on from now on!
Also the bar by bar approach is also interesting & to learn the technique behind the melody, not the melody is great advice.
Thanks for your input smile.gif

You're welcome wink.gif
The picking direction it's very important because change the sounds of the melody. Also the angle of the pick that instructor used in lesson affect the tone as well. These two are first things that I look when I watch at the slow videos from lesson.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 29 2015, 03:40 PM
Instructor
I think that this is a very personal thing and depends on each guitarist. In my personal experience, the way to learn the lesson is totally related to the lesson's difficulty and quantity of material. If it's simple and short, I like to learn the whole thing by once and then practice the whole thing to master it. If the lesson is very difficult or too long, I like to work on 1 part each day (learn and practice)and learn the whole thing in around 7 days to then work on connecting everything.

The most important thing of this, is to find a way that is entertained and motivating for you that makes you keep on learning and practicing. Motivation is the key and what rules everything. Focus is another very important element, so the quantity of time dedicated to a lesson must be related to the quantity of time you can keep your focus on it.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Im here to succe...
Oct 29 2015, 03:47 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 29 2015, 02:40 PM) *
I think that this is a very personal thing and depends on each guitarist. In my personal experience, the way to learn the lesson is totally related to the lesson's difficulty and quantity of material. If it's simple and short, I like to learn the whole thing by once and then practice the whole thing to master it. If the lesson is very difficult or too long, I like to work on 1 part each day (learn and practice)and learn the whole thing in around 7 days to then work on connecting everything.

The most important thing of this, is to find a way that is entertained and motivating for you that makes you keep on learning and practicing. Motivation is the key and what rules everything. Focus is another very important element, so the quantity of time dedicated to a lesson must be related to the quantity of time you can keep your focus on it.

Awesome, thanks for your insight. I was going to post this question within my personal thread but i thought i'd open it up to everybody smile.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 30 2015, 05:34 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
May I suggest an excellent book HERE

I have found the information in this book very very helpful, it also explains exactly what happens within the brain when you practise. Knowing and understanding this somehow makes you practise and apply the techniques better.

I've only just started to understand how to learn. My lessons have been mainly short so I learn the note sequence, get it under my fingers so I don't have to think about it and then you can start to develop the techniques within that lesson. When learning a piece don't always start from the beginning as that week become the strongest part, split it up into overlapping sections and mix it up.

Enjoy cool.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Oct 30 2015, 05:43 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Im here to succe...
Oct 30 2015, 05:44 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 30 2015, 04:34 PM) *
May I suggest an excellent book HERE

I have found the information in this book very very helpful, it also explains exactly what happens within the brain when you practise. Knowing and understanding this somehow makes you practise and apply the techniques better.

I've only just started to understand how to learn. My lessons have been mainly short so I learn the note sequence, get it under my fingers so I don't have to think about it and then you can start to develop the techniques within that lesson. When learning a piece don't always start from the beginning as that week become the strongest part, split it up into overlapping sections and mix it up.

Enjoy cool.gif

Thanks for the recommendation, is it all applicable to guitar? If so i will purchase smile.gif

EDIT: Bit of a stupid question really, ignore that haha

This post has been edited by Im here to succeed: Oct 30 2015, 06:44 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 30 2015, 09:32 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Well, it's all related to practising a musical instrument wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
JoeyAsh
Nov 1 2015, 06:45 PM
I'm new to the site but not new to learning (25+ years). I think that not only is it very personal how each person should attack learning a lesson but I've noticed that I have to change my strategy depending on the lesson itself.

Some lessons fall easily under my fingers so I can learn them quicker or work on other aspects of them and some don't seem natural to me so I break them down bar by bar. I know this doesn't help but I don't think there is one correct way to learn them since the lessons are all so different. This is a good thing. It forces us as guitarists to use different parts of our brain to develop different skills and different ways to learn.

The one big piece of advice I can give though is "If you can't hum it, you can't play it". By this I mean make sure to LISTEN to the lesson enough times to have the melody or exercise implanted in your ears. Close your eyes and actually hear it. Music is a listening art after all. Some pieces will be much too fast to physically hum along with but if you can hear it in your head, then mentally hum along. Hope this helps. This applies to all learning. Songs, scales, chords, everything. Good luck.

+Quote Post
Im here to succe...
Nov 1 2015, 08:18 PM
QUOTE (JoeyAsh @ Nov 1 2015, 05:45 PM) *
I'm new to the site but not new to learning (25+ years). I think that not only is it very personal how each person should attack learning a lesson but I've noticed that I have to change my strategy depending on the lesson itself.

Some lessons fall easily under my fingers so I can learn them quicker or work on other aspects of them and some don't seem natural to me so I break them down bar by bar. I know this doesn't help but I don't think there is one correct way to learn them since the lessons are all so different. This is a good thing. It forces us as guitarists to use different parts of our brain to develop different skills and different ways to learn.

The one big piece of advice I can give though is "If you can't hum it, you can't play it". By this I mean make sure to LISTEN to the lesson enough times to have the melody or exercise implanted in your ears. Close your eyes and actually hear it. Music is a listening art after all. Some pieces will be much too fast to physically hum along with but if you can hear it in your head, then mentally hum along. Hope this helps. This applies to all learning. Songs, scales, chords, everything. Good luck.

Thanks very much for your input. A great tip i can take away there smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 2 2015, 03:54 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Im here to succeed @ Oct 29 2015, 11:47 AM) *
Awesome, thanks for your insight. I was going to post this question within my personal thread but i thought i'd open it up to everybody smile.gif

Well done! wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:59 AM