Basics., I don't need to know the stinking basics!
opeth.db
Sep 23 2008, 06:33 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Yea right. blink.gif

Just wanted to share my expierence.

I think I maybe be a bit (well a lot) full of myself when playing the guitar sometimes. I feel that since playing for 20+ years I don't need to know how to do certain things or at least humble myself to start at the basics.

Well last night I had an epiphany. ( I wish it was regarding theory but Im sure it wil come) unsure.gif

I don't know how to play with a metronome. Thanks for the wonderful video Kristoffer you provided. I always start tripping over myself when starting to play fast. Come to find out I didn't know how to sub-divide a beat correctly.
Just knowing this little piece of information has already reaped some benefits. Understanding how 16th note triplets are played and how to count any note for that matter. ohmy.gif

So know I have been humbling myself and going through a lot of the beginner video lessons. I do know a lot of it already but I was obviously missing a few important pieces of the puzzle. wink.gif

Again, Thanks GMC.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by opeth.db: Sep 23 2008, 06:39 PM

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Jackson Ofset V Randy Rhodes Signature
Mitchell Acoustic
Custom Ibanez S series (Currently working on)
X2 XDS95 Digital Wireless system
Line 6 MKII
8 Channel USB Roland Mixer

My Site
www.shredwork.com

Learn how to count. It's what separates the hack and the pros IMHO. -LCSDDS
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Sep 23 2008, 06:38 PM
GMC Founder
Great to hear Opeth - you wouldn't believe it but I am mostly focusing on quite basic things in my practicing as well, which I have overlooked in this past. It isn't the most intriguing practicing - but boy it is effective! blink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Sep 23 2008, 06:46 PM
Instructor
I am doing one very long spoken lesson for begginers. It will show all note durations, counting with metronome, different kinds of syncopation and all basic stuff about notes and understanding timing. I don't know if there is a similar lesson but I hope that many will find it useful.

What is the link of Kirtofer's lesson you mentioned? Maybe I am doing something that is already on the site.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 23 2008, 06:49 PM
Instructor
Emir I will be also doing some rhythm lessons in future!

I think we can never go wrong with these lessons as we see students need them - the more we have them , the better they will understand how to practice things with metronome and use different rhythm values in their solos/improvisation/songs etc.

I love your idea for the lesson I will make sure not to do the same thing and I can definitely see that lesson becoming very important for all members!

This post has been edited by Pedja Simovic: Sep 23 2008, 06:51 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Sep 23 2008, 06:58 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Sep 23 2008, 01:46 PM) *
I am doing one very long spoken lesson for begginers. It will show all note durations, counting with metronome, different kinds of syncopation and all basic stuff about notes and understanding timing. I don't know if there is a similar lesson but I hope that many will find it useful.

What is the link of Kirtofer's lesson you mentioned? Maybe I am doing something that is already on the site.

Hey Emir-

This is the one I did last night.
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/how-to-use-a-metronome.htm

Im truly excited about my progression lately. Although I am far from my main goal as a shredder, I see improvents already.

I am mainly looking forward to the mentoring program. I wish I got into the "beta" program but will wait when new sign ups are availble.

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Jackson Ofset V Randy Rhodes Signature
Mitchell Acoustic
Custom Ibanez S series (Currently working on)
X2 XDS95 Digital Wireless system
Line 6 MKII
8 Channel USB Roland Mixer

My Site
www.shredwork.com

Learn how to count. It's what separates the hack and the pros IMHO. -LCSDDS

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Sep 23 2008, 07:00 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Sep 23 2008, 06:49 PM) *
Emir I will be also doing some rhythm lessons in future!

I think we can never go wrong with these lessons as we see students need them - the more we have them , the better they will understand how to practice things with metronome and use different rhythm values in their solos/improvisation/songs etc.

I love your idea for the lesson I will make sure not to do the same thing and I can definitely see that lesson becoming very important for all members!

Thank you. I have just been thinking about that. It is good to have more lessons like this but we should always check whether there was the same lesson. If we think our concept is really different than other instructor's lesson I would definitely do it.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
sigma7
Sep 23 2008, 07:15 PM
GMC:er
awesome cant wait for the lesson

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 23 2008, 07:53 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Great to hear about your progress Opeth!! I think most important part of learning is to recognize our weak spots and go "Back" and fix them! No matter on what level they are...Its awesome you did and now you are developing even more!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 23 2008, 08:14 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Sep 23 2008, 08:00 PM) *
Thank you. I have just been thinking about that. It is good to have more lessons like this but we should always check whether there was the same lesson. If we think our concept is really different than other instructor's lesson I would definitely do it.

I agree with you Emir ! In fact I just came up with a really cool idea for rhythm lessons but I will keep for myself at the moment until I upload the lesson(s).
Thanks

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Sep 23 2008, 08:59 PM
Singing Instructor
Great you find your way,even Vinnie Colaiuta(one of the greatest drummers in the world)before shows only do the stroke down and up very slowly.Some times is hard to go back and admit that you need to fix some of the basic things,if you haw that will,nothing can stop you.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
midnight
Sep 24 2008, 04:25 AM
Love the news on metronome, rhythm value, time signature lessons Emir and Pedja! I've been plucking away at guitar for years and have started focusing on these things alot more since I joined GMC.

All the basic stuff that I go back to and work on helps my paying a ton. I've developed bad habits in my playing over the years and GMC has motivated me and shown me how to correct them. It's alot of work and boring at times, but it's worth it.

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Sep 24 2008, 06:38 AM
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Sep 23 2008, 07:46 PM) *

Grrreat!
I'm looking forward to that lesson, timing is a problem.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Canis
Sep 24 2008, 09:47 AM
Learning Rock Star
I learned to go back to the basics as well.. I used to play extremely sloppy when I played faster, before I swallowed my ego and pride, to go back and get some basics right ^^

Can't wait for your lesson, Emir =)

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:57 AM