Epiphone Dot
El Marto
Apr 9 2011, 09:13 AM
GMC:er
Hi guys!

I'm El Marto. I was active here a couple of years (2, I guess) ago. And I played the guitar a lot. Then I moved to Ghent (Belgium) to go to university, and I didn't had that much time anymore to play sad.gif But since this year, I've been playing again! And I'm coming back to the best guitar community there is: GMC! biggrin.gif

And I already have a question: I'd like to buy a new guitar. And my eye fell on the Gibson ES-335. But since it's waaaaaay to expensive for me (I'm just a poor student...), I'm looking at the Epiphone Dot. Is this a good choice? Does anyone have any experience with this guitar?

Thanks a lot!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Apr 9 2011, 09:26 AM
Experienced Guitar Lord
I heard quite a few times that buying an Epiphone is a lottery. It seems that their quality control is one of the most criticized. So I would advice not buying one, unless You can play it before purchase. Maybe try to buy an used Gibson?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 9 2011, 04:46 PM
Instructor
Hey mate.

If you are on a tight budget and want a hollow-body electric guitar similar to 335 design, then Epi Dot could be something to consider. I also want to suggest Ibanez AS73B, that is in the same price range:

As you are aware, the built quality and sound won't match Gibson ES-335, but you could get similar character out of these guitars, as they provide clear, direct, a bit nasal and "hollow" tone, associated with these guitars.

If you really want to get one, be careful and don't get the first one you get on to. Go into lots of stores and try out lots of models - at least 15, to get the impression of what's good and what's not.

Since these are entry level models, you can be sure that the tone won't be that great, so instead of searching for great tone, I advise you to aim on the piece that will fit nicely in your hands, and are comfortable to play. Not a lot of these are well adjusted straight from the factory.

However, getting any guitar that is comfortable is not what I suggest either. Play them, and see what type of sound they have. With these guitars you can tell about the sound quality even unplugged. Just strum some chords, and play a bit, and if it sounds pleasant, it will be pleasant through the amp as well. Of course, if you can try them on the amp, by all means do, to check out the pickups.

So again, advice is to first check on:

1. action of the strings
2. comfort of playing
3. quality of frets
4. overall built quality
5. pots, switches and hardware in close
6. intonation (pick every note on every fret, every note should sound even and "flat", without any fluctuations of note pitch)
7. wood sound (has to be open, shimmering, rich, and a bit "honky" and "hollow", specially on the middle position)
8. pickup sound (check on both clean and distortion, see how it handles overdrive, this is where pickups show their quality the best, on clean they have to provide dynamics, on ovedrive they have to provide clarity)

If you have any more questions feel free to ask smile.gif

Ivan

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Apr 9 2011, 04:50 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 9 2011, 06:45 PM
I have to agree with the guys on the Epiphone. You can get lucky and find a nice one but you'll need to play it first. Buying one mail order is a bit of a crap shoot. The Ibanez is s nice choice for the reasons mentioned. Whatever you get, make sure you play it before you buy it even if it means traveling to do it.

Nothing is worse than paying for a guitar and then getting it later only to realize you'd rather have the money back.

Also, please do come to our Saturday Video Chat Lesson in a few hours today in the vid chat room!

Todd

+Quote Post
stratman79
Apr 10 2011, 01:25 PM
Learning Rock Star
I've seen quite a few eppys and they have all seemed decent, not to say don't try before you buy but I haven't found the quality control as inconsistent as others may have.

It depends if you're dead set on that shape and that depth or just the genral stlye?

I would recomend that you also look at the Gretch Electromatik range, it's there budget series, I have tried the county gentleman from this series and it is very good, also have a look at Peerless they seem to be quite new but have a good range of semi's and are a fraction cheaper, Ibanez have a few different models and I'm not sure if Yamaha have a budget semi but maybe worth looking into...

like Ivan said go for one that feels good, pickups and hardware can be upgraded over time...

you'll prob end up with a ply semi but I was astounded when I looked at a £3000 white falcon and saw that was also ply!!

let us know how you get on...

+Quote Post
Fran
Apr 10 2011, 04:04 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I'm happy with my Epi SG, it has its flaws (bad quality pickups, even more neck heavy than the Gibson), but then again it costs 5 times less than the Gibson. I'd even say that in a quality/cost benchmark, the Epi wins, as the "real" SG is certainly NOT 5 times better smile.gif

This post has been edited by Fran: Apr 10 2011, 04:05 PM

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
El Marto
Apr 10 2011, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys!

I'll be sure to check them out and try them before I buy one. I'll also try to check out as much other options (like the Ibanez, Gretsch, ...) before I decide which one I'll choose.

@ Ivan: thanks for the tips. In fact, I was kind of planning to change the hardware over time, so going for one that feels good, seems a good advice!

@ Todd: are there video chat sessions every Saturday? I was at my girlfriends' house (BARBEQUE biggrin.gif) so I couldn't be on the chat...

I'll be sure to let you know what I've chosen!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:08 PM