The Truth About True Bypass
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 14 2013, 05:02 PM
Instructor
We usually talk about true bypass or not. Here I would like to share an article by Seumour Duncan that clarifies this topic:

Attached Image

http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/the-tone...ut-true-bypass/

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 10)
Qenzoz
Jun 14 2013, 05:22 PM
GMC:er
Check out this video by Pete Thorn. Buffered vs. True bypass

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitar
Suhr S4 Pro Series Bengal Burst

+Quote Post
ItSME3
Jun 14 2013, 06:28 PM
I have 8 Truebb Pedals on my board. And they are all high quality pedals. However if you put too many TrueBB pedals in your chain, they do change the sound. I loose upper mids and highs. That's why this thingy is now the first unit in my chain

PureToneBuffer . This helps sooo much !!!!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 14 2013, 09:30 PM
If you are gonna use pedals, the PRO TONE BUFFER is crucial IMHO smile.gif It will give you your tone back!! It's getting sucked out each time it goes through a "True Bypass" pedal.

Also, part of the reason so many folks moved to multi efx boxes / processors smile.gif But IT's a big world with plenty of room for old style pedal boards, 59 Strats, and any vintange/traditional gear that one might want smile.gif

Todd
QUOTE (ItSME3 @ Jun 14 2013, 01:28 PM) *
I have 8 Truebb Pedals on my board. And they are all high quality pedals. However if you put too many TrueBB pedals in your chain, they do change the sound. I loose upper mids and highs. That's why this thingy is now the first unit in my chain

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 14 2013, 10:47 PM
On my bigger boards I have a quality buffered pedal first in line, usually a tuner or a Demeter compressor, and also one at the end of the chain - a boost or a delay.

+Quote Post
pdf64
Jun 14 2013, 11:13 PM
However if you put too many TrueBB pedals in your chain, they do change the sound. I loose upper mids and highs

your tone ..'s getting sucked out each time it goes through a "True Bypass" pedal

My take on this is that a (genuinely) true bypass pedal is as transparent as anything can be.
However, with a multi-pedal arrangement, all those short interconnects between them add capacitance which loads the pick-up and brings down the resonant peak.
And if some of those interconnects are low quality (or even poorly terminated / otherwise faulty) then that effect increases, perhaps significantly.
This page http://buildyourguitar.com/resources/lemme/ is one of the most helpful I've found for clarifying the issues and constraints surrounding pick-ups and how they impact on tone.
From that, it may be seen that it's unrealistic to go from the guitar, through a 20' / 6metre cable, then maybe 6 true bypass pedals, then another 20' cable to the amp (maybe about 2000pF in total), and expect the bypassed tone to be the same as plugging straight into the amp.
So I agree with the above conclusions, that a buffered / buffered pedal, near the beginning of the chain, is a good way to avoid loading the pick-ups and so maintain the expected tonal character.
Pete

This post has been edited by pdf64: Jun 14 2013, 11:19 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 15 2013, 04:51 AM
Well said smile.gif Avoid TONE SUCK!! BUFFER!!!

Todd
QUOTE (pdf64 @ Jun 14 2013, 06:13 PM) *
My take on this is that a (genuinely) true bypass pedal is as transparent as anything can be.
However, with a multi-pedal arrangement, all those short interconnects between them add capacitance which loads the pick-up and brings down the resonant peak.
And if some of those interconnects are low quality (or even poorly terminated / otherwise faulty) then that effect increases, perhaps significantly.
This page http://buildyourguitar.com/resources/lemme/ is one of the most helpful I've found for clarifying the issues and constraints surrounding pick-ups and how they impact on tone.
From that, it may be seen that it's unrealistic to go from the guitar, through a 20' / 6metre cable, then maybe 6 true bypass pedals, then another 20' cable to the amp (maybe about 2000pF in total), and expect the bypassed tone to be the same as plugging straight into the amp.
So I agree with the above conclusions, that a buffered / buffered pedal, near the beginning of the chain, is a good way to avoid loading the pick-ups and so maintain the expected tonal character.
Pete

+Quote Post
David.C.Bond
Jun 15 2013, 08:50 AM
Interesting article. That picture of the guitar pedals is insane, imagine the tap dance you'd have to do to turn your delay off..

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 15 2013, 05:25 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ItSME3 @ Jun 14 2013, 05:28 PM) *

Thanks for sharing this man - I had no clue such things actually existed smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 15 2013, 06:14 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 15 2013, 01:25 PM) *
Thanks for sharing this man - I had no clue such things actually existed smile.gif

The same here... you just opened my eyes! Thanks a lot! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Fran
Jun 16 2013, 11:08 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
QUOTE (pdf64 @ Jun 15 2013, 12:13 AM) *
Pete

I thoroughly agree!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:17 AM