16 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Corona Virus Spreading Out Of China
Todd Simpson
Jan 23 2020, 10:20 PM
GMC:er
There is a Corona Virus spreading out of China and a few hundred folks are infected and several have now died. China has locked down two cities to try to prevent spread. There is NO TREATMENT for Corona Virus. So the problem for people who get it, is that there is very little that can be done for them. We have just one case in the states. So it's not a big deal here. It's a problem in China though. Don't get too freaked out by this stuff though as it's probably going to stay mostly in China. I'm starting to see crazy videos on youtube where people are really blowing it out of all proportion. It's not as deadly as SARS so it's sorta like a bad flu virus that reguiar meds won't work on.

EDIT: MARCH 25, 2020: I just looked at this original post which I made back in January. In this post I say stuff like "it's probably going to stay mostly in China" and "It's not as deadly as SARS". Both statements were proved to be just wrong as time went on. At the time, the news was indicating that it was not a big deal and was mostly centered around China and that the United States was at very low risk as was the rest of the world. A few months later, this thread is still going and the news keeps getting worse. I wish we could go back to January smile.gif

So
Wash your hands a lotStay away from people who seem sickstay home if you get sick.

Same things you always do in Flu Season smile.gif
Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 25 2020, 08:01 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 23 2020, 11:05 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
It's here in the UK, four people in Scotland flew in from the town that is in lock down in China.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 24 2020, 10:43 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 24 2020, 08:02 PM
It's over here now as well. It's just one or two folks so far over here. I was a bit shocked to hear China had cancelled Chinese New Year festivities in Beijing. Each year, Chinese New Year is the largest mass migration of humanity on the planet earth. All those people moving about for one reason. To celebrate new year with their families. It's much like Christmas is for western folks. Imagine the president coming on TV and saying he was going to cancel Christmas, and then asked everyone to just stay home.

I am glad to see the Chinese govt is taking this very seriously and hopefully it will all be sorted very soon. smile.gif
So far, like 20 Million people have been asked to simply not leave home. 3 Cities so far in china. All public transport has been closed. This sort of thing is a first in history. Trying to isolate tens of millions of people is going to be a challenge.
Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 23 2020, 06:05 PM) *
It's here in the UK, for people in Scotland flew in from the town that is in lock down in China.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 24 2020, 10:43 PM
Fourteen have now been tested, all clear thankfully.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 24 2020, 11:14 PM
That's great news! It looks like they are doing their best to keep it contained. So we should all be just fine smile.gif It's the folks near the epicenter that have it bad. store shelves are cleared out already in many places, all transport in and out has been stopped. The worst part, people are just starting to drop on the street. Evidently, at some point the virus makes it really hard to breath and sick folks just pass out where they happen to be. They are building a hospital just for folks with corona virus. The other health facilities are already maxed out. They plan to build a new hospital in 6 days! From ground breaking to first patient in 6 days. I don't know how that's possible.

13 cities on lockdown in china with a population roughly equal to Canada.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 24 2020, 05:43 PM) *
Fourteen have now been tested, all clear thankfully.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 24 2020, 11:20 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 2 2020, 11:17 AM
The cases here now, one person just 12 miles away from my town has been quarantined sad.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 2 2020, 04:50 PM
Guys check the food at your house to see where it comes from, if from an asian country (like rice etc.) stock some just incase.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 2 2020, 07:00 PM
My rice comes from California wink.gif

Fun fact: Calrose rice (grown in CA) exports rice to both Japan and China.
Go 49ers!

*Chiefs fan today though.

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Feb 2 2020, 10:05 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (klasaine @ Feb 2 2020, 09:00 AM) *
My rice comes from California wink.gif

Fun fact: Calrose rice (grown in CA) exports rice to both Japan and China.
Go 49ers!

*Chiefs fan today though.

We eat a lot of Hinode Calrose rice up here too, good stuff. Rooting for KC today. I have always loved Andy Reid ever since he coached my team the Philadelphia Eagles so I would like to see him get a Super Bowl ring, but I also love Patrick Mahomes and watching him play.
Go Chiefs!

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Feb 3 2020, 04:16 AM

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 2 2020, 10:07 PM
It turned out to be a huge hit to the Chinese economy and spreading to the area around it.

Countries started avoiding ships/goods from there either cause of the crew or goods where virus can live (like food). If not directly the food, ingredients of some food may be dependent from China to be prepared. Likely the foods on shelves today are from before the virus started spreading, so stocking isn't a bad idea if possible.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 3 2020, 04:26 AM
EGAD!! Are you serious? That close? That's crazy. What are the odds of one of these random people landing within spitting distance of where you happen to be?
The rate of spread of this thing is just insane. Every single day the infected count seems to double. There are now 12,000 cases confirmed of this thing. That's just the confirmed. Unconfirmed we have no idea. We have military bases ready to take infected people coming in. Stock market took a 600 point down hit the other day. So now it's impacting our economy as well.

the worse part is carriers can be "asymptomatic" meaning no symptoms yet able to spread the virus. Here is a doctor talking about. The expansion of the virus is growing exponentially so they really need to get a handle on this.
Here is a real time tracker of infected and dead.
[/quote] [quote name='Phil66' post='774464' date='Feb 2 2020, 06:17 AM']The cases here now, one person just 12 miles away from my town has been quarantined sad.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 3 2020, 04:41 AM

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 3 2020, 12:56 PM
For now I'm not too worried about the spread, number of patients increase but its mostly around China. Quarantines other countries are doing seems to be mostly effective, its expected to have incidents but the quarantine protocol seems to be effective (for now).

But most of us have no idea how much we're connected to China by the stuff we use, either food or even guitar parts. So on the long run I do expect some shortages of supply. Food is the most critical, I don't know if medicine is related (China bought all medical masks Turkey has, yesterday my mom barley found one box for herself and dad).

This post has been edited by Mertay: Feb 3 2020, 12:56 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 4 2020, 07:20 AM
We are a much more connected world than we were 20 years ago during the SARS outbreak. That's what has everyone worried. Also people are saying that China is under reporting the entire thing. That in fact, there are hundreds of thousands of people infected and that they are under reporting deaths by saying cause of death was "pneumonia" instead of saying cause of death was Corona virus. Here is the hospital they built in under two weeks. Sadly, they don't have enough supplies.

You mentioned they bought every medical mask in Turkey. I've heard they have bought every medical mask from every country they can and that it's still not enough as the masks are meant to be changed every four hours so that's 2 masks a day (eight hour work shift) or 6 masks a day, for everyone waiting in line at a hospital. It's growing exponentially which is starting to be concerning. There are only a few cases here in the States, how about the rest of you guys? Any new cases in other countries?

In this report just like mertay says, FOOD is the culprit. This lady bought a Chicken from a wet market in Wuhan. Now she has Corona Virus and the medical people who treated her have it now as well. It's in the food, it's being spread to medical people who are not wearing masks in some areas of China. ugghl

for everyone needing a mask in a country of well over a billion people.
QUOTE (Mertay @ Feb 3 2020, 07:56 AM) *
For now I'm not too worried about the spread, number of patients increase but its mostly around China. Quarantines other countries are doing seems to be mostly effective, its expected to have incidents but the quarantine protocol seems to be effective (for now).

But most of us have no idea how much we're connected to China by the stuff we use, either food or even guitar parts. So on the long run I do expect some shortages of supply. Food is the most critical, I don't know if medicine is related (China bought all medical masks Turkey has, yesterday my mom barley found one box for herself and dad).

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 4 2020, 07:45 AM

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 4 2020, 08:35 AM
Oil and copper dropped in value rapidly, its usually the first sign the world economy is slowing. This was what I was expecting and it will continue depending on the state of virus spread.

I'll start worrying when it starts to hit middle-east and Africa, most of the countries there can't manage something like this. Then by illegal passing's of boarders it will be dangerous for everyone. The incubation period can extend to 14 days so its possible an immigrant can step in somewhere like Europe seemingly healthy.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 11 2020, 06:57 AM
More people have now died of CORONA in about a month than died of SARS in 3 years. So how many will corona kill in 3 years? Well, it's about a thousand a month. So not looking good. The only good news so far is that numbers outside China are very very very small. So for the rest of the world, this is not a big threat. Inside China, it's got people a bit freaked out.

None of the people in quarantine facilities are permitted to leave. Hopefully this will help. They have dug up the roads leading out of wuhan.

QUOTE (Mertay @ Feb 4 2020, 03:35 AM) *
Oil and copper dropped in value rapidly, its usually the first sign the world economy is slowing. This was what I was expecting and it will continue depending on the state of virus spread.

I'll start worrying when it starts to hit middle-east and Africa, most of the countries there can't manage something like this. Then by illegal passing's of boarders it will be dangerous for everyone. The incubation period can extend to 14 days so its possible an immigrant can step in somewhere like Europe seemingly healthy.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 11 2020, 07:00 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 20 2020, 05:38 AM
Infected people are above 70,000 and climbing. Thankfully, it's been kept mostly in China so far. I'm thankful for that! In this video, the same building that saw the SARS virus spread through the pipes in the building was suspe cted of doing so again with corona. Thankfully it was a false alarm. in another case, they tried to quarantine people on a cruise ship and it just made things worse.

3,000 Medical Workers roughly infected which is very sad sad.gif

The really scary new bit of news is that there are Chinese News Sources saying that it's possible that the CORONA VIRUS was leaked from a biological weapons research facility in Wuhan. Research at this facility(The Wuhan Center for Disease Control) involves bats and it's possible a bat got loose and the rest is history. This sounds like a "Conspiracy Theory", but it's being reported by actual news outlets, not just crazy bloggers.

Also, any one who says bad things about the way the govt is handling the crisis, are being "disapeared" they Just go missing. One professor in particulare is mentioned in this report.
Attached Image
I hope this thing wraps up soon as I'm starting to see really strange videos on youtube about how this is a "Biblical Plague" (it's not, it's a regional virus and it's not going to kill 1/3 of humanity as foretold in the book of Revelations). Also, there has been a "Locust Plague" in Africa recently which also has the Conspiracy Theory people going nuts. A "Plague of Locusts" to go with out "Breaking of the 7th Seal" is just what every bible thumping conspiracy zealot needs to start asking for more donations. Uggh.

Even legitimate outlets like DW in Germany are calling it a "Plague of Locusts". I wish they would stop using that word.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 20 2020, 05:39 AM

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Feb 20 2020, 07:13 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 19 2020, 07:38 PM) *
Infected people are above 70,000 and climbing. Thankfully, it's been kept mostly in China so far. I'm thankful for that! In this video, the same building that saw the SARS virus spread through the pipes in the building was suspe cted of doing so again with corona. Thankfully it was a false alarm. in another case, they tried to quarantine people on a cruise ship and it just made things worse.

3,000 Medical Workers roughly infected which is very sad sad.gif

The really scary new bit of news is that there are Chinese News Sources saying that it's possible that the CORONA VIRUS was leaked from a biological weapons research facility in Wuhan. Research at this facility(The Wuhan Center for Disease Control) involves bats and it's possible a bat got loose and the rest is history. This sounds like a "Conspiracy Theory", but it's being reported by actual news outlets, not just crazy bloggers.

Also, any one who says bad things about the way the govt is handling the crisis, are being "disapeared" they Just go missing. One professor in particulare is mentioned in this report.
Attached Image
I hope this thing wraps up soon as I'm starting to see really strange videos on youtube about how this is a "Biblical Plague" (it's not, it's a regional virus and it's not going to kill 1/3 of humanity as foretold in the book of Revelations). Also, there has been a "Locust Plague" in Africa recently which also has the Conspiracy Theory people going nuts. A "Plague of Locusts" to go with out "Breaking of the 7th Seal" is just what every bible thumping conspiracy zealot needs to start asking for more donations. Uggh.

Even legitimate outlets like DW in Germany are calling it a "Plague of Locusts". I wish they would stop using that word.

You say "Conspiracy Theory" like it has to be some kind of outlandish and unbelievable thing. This term is frequently misused. A conspiracy is simply when 2 or more people get together and conspire to commit a crime of some sort, in most cases Criminal Conspiracy's, and they happen all the time. So a conspiracy theory is simply some people theorizing that there are other people that have conspired to commit a crime.
Criminal conspiracy's are uncovered, tried and convicted quite frequently.
Granted, some theories are bigger than others, involve powerful people, and may seem far fetched and some are of course, but even many of those that sound outlandish have turned out to be real. Many of yesterdays conspiracy theories, even outlandish ones, have ended up being today's news and part of history.
A plague of locusts isn't a conspiracy theory but more like a doomsday prophecy theory unless you want to theorize that it was manufactured by a group of people somehow for nefarious reasons.
A deadly virus, maybe. If again you want to theorize that it was purposefully released or maybe even developed for some nefarious reason.
The idea that this virus may have got away from that lab in Wuhan isn't new although I don't think it has been called a weapons lab but a level 4 research facility for studying deadly viruses of which there are some all over the world. We have such research facilities here in the US too.
Some news organizations were reporting about that idea from the outset of this crisis and mentioned that it had even been warned about by scientists and officials here in the US that something could escape that lab into the population, and about the dangers of the proximity of that lab the huge population center that is Wuhan province.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/...piracy%20theory

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 20 2020, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the clarification smile.gif My only point being that things like this are often snagged and blown way out of proportion by a certain group of youtube folks and the results are not positive. Next thing you know, we have videos cropping up everywhere showing the corona virus and the locusts and following it with a few quotes from revelations saying that the end is near and you need to buy these special pills that will purify your water or taint wipes, etc. Any public tragedy seems to fuel this type of thing which is kinda sad imho sad.gif
One thing that is very real is that the Chinese Economy is going to slow down and also, the largest company on earth, APPLE COMPUTER is going to slow down a bit as well since most of theyr products are built in China. Apple is already warning share holders that there will be a dip and that we may see fewer iphone available due to factories being closed from the virus. Also, there will be other knock on effects of Chine being basically shut down for this long. Prices are going to go up. The stock market is going to go down. All of which is yet more fuel for folks selling "PREPPER" kits and claiming it's all going down the drain. I really don't think it's all going down the drain. I think we are having a run of bad luck that will sort itself out if we can all just stay calm smile.gif Here is that vid about APPLE saying they are not going to make enough iphones due to Corona.

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Feb 20 2020, 02:13 AM) *
You say "Conspiracy Theory" like it has to be some kind of outlandish and unbelievable thing. This term is frequently misused. A conspiracy is simply when 2 or more people get together and conspire to commit a crime of some sort, in most cases Criminal Conspiracy's, and they happen all the time. So a conspiracy theory is simply some people theorizing that there are other people that have conspired to commit a crime.
Criminal conspiracy's are uncovered, tried and convicted quite frequently.
Granted, some theories are bigger than others, involve powerful people, and may seem far fetched and some are of course, but even many of those that sound outlandish have turned out to be real. Many of yesterdays conspiracy theories, even outlandish ones, have ended up being today's news and part of history.
A plague of locusts isn't a conspiracy theory but more like a doomsday prophecy theory unless you want to theorize that it was manufactured by a group of people somehow for nefarious reasons.
A deadly virus, maybe. If again you want to theorize that it was purposefully released or maybe even developed for some nefarious reason.
The idea that this virus may have got away from that lab in Wuhan isn't new although I don't think it has been called a weapons lab but a level 4 research facility for studying deadly viruses of which there are some all over the world. We have such research facilities here in the US too.
Some news organizations were reporting about that idea from the outset of this crisis and mentioned that it had even been warned about by scientists and officials here in the US that something could escape that lab into the population, and about the dangers of the proximity of that lab the huge population center that is Wuhan province.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/...piracy%20theory

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 20 2020, 10:02 AM
Few incidents have been seen in Iran, Egypt...these are the places to be afraid of as they might not be able to contain the virus. Russia will shut boarders to China soon completely.

As for conspiracy theory, my thought is USA did it. Been years since its known China will surpass US economy in the not so distant future, Trump did all he could with the tariffs and calling US based brands back to USA. Human life is most important, but the real damage Corona did was to Chinese economy. Their stock market closed for 2 weeks and they pumped 150billon just so it wouldn't crash the day it opened, now they're merging small airplane businesses with bigger ones so they won't face bankruptcy. Also huge internal credits are being arranged so common people who cannot work right now (like a drugstore owner etc.) so mass unemployment won't happen...

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 20 2020, 04:53 PM
Yeah, that's a theory going around but that's not the Donald's style. He likes to 'win' in the public view not in some covert, unproveable way.
Out here on the coast, covid-19 as it's called now barely makes the news and CA is probably the biggest recipient of cash and goods via China. We also have a HUGE Chinese population.

QUOTE (Mertay @ Feb 20 2020, 02:02 AM) *
Few incidents have been seen in Iran, Egypt...these are the places to be afraid of as they might not be able to contain the virus. Russia will shut boarders to China soon completely.

As for conspiracy theory, my thought is USA did it. Been years since its known China will surpass US economy in the not so distant future, Trump did all he could with the tariffs and calling US based brands back to USA. Human life is most important, but the real damage Corona did was to Chinese economy. Their stock market closed for 2 weeks and they pumped 150billon just so it wouldn't crash the day it opened, now they're merging small airplane businesses with bigger ones so they won't face bankruptcy. Also huge internal credits are being arranged so common people who cannot work right now (like a drugstore owner etc.) so mass unemployment won't happen...

+Quote Post

16 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:49 PM