Stuck Between A Metronome And A Hard Place, i need help.
Guitarman700
Feb 15 2008, 06:42 PM
GMC:er
Hello. my name is colin and i have a problem.
Let me start by thanking kris for creating the best site on the internet. now on to my problem. in the 3 years ive been playing guitar, and the time ive been here, ive learned the beginners lessons. however, i STILL cant figure out how to work a metronome. but my biggest problem is that im stuck in that rut between the biggeners lessons and, well, everything else. EVERY Single lesson there seems to be something i Just cannot get down, no matter how hard i try. im typing this on one of my good days, when i actually feel motivated. you dont want to see one of my bad days. anyway, i apologize for not being more clear in what i need help with but , honestly, i dont think i know myself. any advice would be GREATLY appreciated .
Edit: maybe what im trying to say is, where should i go next?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Guitarman700: Feb 15 2008, 06:46 PM

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
eddiecat
Feb 15 2008, 07:06 PM
QUOTE (Guitarman700 @ Feb 15 2008, 06:42 PM) *
Let me start by thanking kris for creating the best site on the internet. now on to my problem. in the 3 years ive been playing guitar, and the time ive been here, ive learned the beginners lessons. however, i STILL cant figure out how to work a metronome. but my biggest problem is that im stuck in that rut between the biggeners lessons and, well, everything else. EVERY Single lesson there seems to be something i Just cannot get down, no matter how hard i try. im typing this on one of my good days, when i actually feel motivated. you dont want to see one of my bad days. anyway, i apologize for not being more clear in what i need help with but , honestly, i dont think i know myself. any advice would be GREATLY appreciated .

Hi Colin! I'm Eddie,
I started six months ago and I was as confused as you, but I think that I can give you an advice
on how to start, it's working great for me: once you've done Kristopher's Beginner Kickoff just concentrate
on the following lessons:
Muris' Timing exercise (great to hear the different note values)
Muris' One String Workout (great to hear the whole tone-half tone relationship)
Muris' Alternate Picking-Thirds (GREAT for major-minor scale+Alternate Picking+learning your first 2 modes!)
Muris' Legato for Beginners (Great for legato and more boxes)
Muris' Mixolydian Beginner solo (Great for introduction to another mode and BENDING: the one bend he does makes you understand how it works)

Wallimann's Minor Pentatonic (great for minor penta in different boxes)
Walliman's Major Pentatonic (great for major penta)
Walliman's Slow Pentatonic (great for both major penta and minor penta and hearing a modulation)
Walliman's Bending Lesson (once you've got Muris' one bending this is the place to improve it, if you're a newbie, of course)
Use your metronome when studying bokes/shapes/scales, that's the best for accuracy and picking.
Advise: Don't try to do what they do, it's impossible, just try to "steal" parts of it.
And don't get scared if they ARE too difficult, all lessons come with slow BTs you can play to!
Also, Andrew's Theory board!!! Every lesson has a theoretical explanation in Andrew's awesome theory board!!!
Theory might look boring and slow, but it's very important.
Ex: Muris' Alternate Picking exercise is in C major and minor. Once you've done it you might wonder: what about the other keys? Well... just step into Andrew's world.

PS: This is the same thing I wrote to another member and he seemed very happy with it!

Hope it helps... Cheers, Eddie

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by eddiecat: Feb 15 2008, 07:12 PM

+Quote Post
RobM
Feb 15 2008, 07:26 PM
QUOTE (Guitarman700 @ Feb 15 2008, 12:42 PM) *

First to use the metronome you pick a setting, considering you are a beginner I would try 60BPM, I dont know what kind of metronome you have as there are so many different kinds out there, mine is the dial type where you just turn the dial until you get to the setting you want then hit the button on the side, up it makes a sound as well as flashes a red light for every tick, down is just the light. Once you have mastered whatever it is you are playing at 60 BPM then move on to 70. If that is too fast then try 64 or 66 and then move up incrementally until you reach your goal speed.

As far as what to try after Kris's beginner lessons, try Pavel's heavy metal for beginner lessons, start with heavy metal for beginner three. There are so many video clips here to try and learn, I found that saving the music in guitar pro 5 then printing it out really helps me learn whatever piece I'm trying to learn.

Have you thought about taking lessons from a local professional? I found taking lessons along with the content here at GMC is making me a more rounded player. Sure a lot of teachers make you learn boring stuff at first but it's only to help you get to know the fretboard, notes, how to read music, as well as build up your hand strength and flexability.. Once you've progressed to where you feel comfortable enough you can stop taking lessons and just concentrate on the content here at GMC.

--------------------
You wish.

+Quote Post
slak
Feb 15 2008, 07:30 PM
Hi Colin, I understand your frustration. Eddie brings up a lot of good points. There are tools all over this web site that will help to bring us along. One thing I'd like to add, is the use of Guitar Pro files. This is a great program that has really helped me in the last few weeks. It allows you to slow the lessons down to whatever tempo you like. It allow you to see the tab and hear the music all while your playing along. Then it's just a simple matter of gradually increasing the tempo.

Best of luck
Slak

+Quote Post
eddiecat
Feb 16 2008, 05:30 PM
Hello!
So, Colin, how is it going?

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Feb 16 2008, 05:47 PM
Well im working on composing a piece, im learning my favorite song, holy diver by dio, and im learning the heavy metal for beginners lessons. thanks for all your advice and ill keep you posted! smile.gif

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
slak
Feb 16 2008, 07:56 PM
Holy Diver!!!! Man, I love that song. Actually that whole album is pretty good. I guess I know what I'll be listening to in the car later on today biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 17 2008, 03:27 PM
Instructor
I watched Dio doing Holy Diver in South Park recently laugh.gif

No seriously take your time man. Here on the site you can find some great advices about how to use a metronome. Use the search function, I've wrote some advices recently, but I can't really remember the topic. Cheers! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 12:53 PM