Schecter Guitars
AIB234
Jun 11 2007, 06:49 PM
GMC:er
I've been looking into maybe picking up a Schecter guitar and from reading on here it seems like you guys know quite a bit about them.

I was bent on getting an Ibanez RG350DX, but when I saw the Schecter's, I loved their look.

I am going to London (in Ontario tongue.gif) this weekend and I think I might check them out.

I was really looking at these two:

http://bellonesmusic.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?...ode=EG-SCHECTER

I don't know much about Schecter's or buying new guitars in general.

Could you guys give me some advice about Schecter's and things to look for when I go down this weekend?

Thanks!

PS. These guitars may be a little out of my price range, so I may have to look at some cheaper ones, too.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
JVM
Jun 11 2007, 06:57 PM
Learning Roadie
Man, those are pricey! Why not buy them off of musicians friend or something where they're much cheaper?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
AIB234
Jun 11 2007, 07:12 PM
They are Canadian dollars tongue.gif

Edit: The reason I don't buy one online is that I not only prefer to deal with people in person, but I have never played a Schecter and would certainly not buy a guitar without playing it first!

This post has been edited by AIB234: Jun 11 2007, 07:21 PM

+Quote Post
JVM
Jun 11 2007, 07:42 PM
Learning Roadie
Still, 960 canadian dollars ~= 900 USD, which is about $250 more than you'd spend on musicians friend (or elsewhere I'm sure). You can try it out at the shop then save yourself some money tongue.gif And musicians friend for example has a 45 day exchange-return policy on stringed instruments under $2000, so if you weren't satisfied with it you could just exchange it.

Up to you my friend, but I wouldn't pay that much more!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
VinceG
Jun 11 2007, 08:32 PM
I own a schecter myself. I own a C-1+ and it plays like butter. Pickups werent bad either. I have also played the Classic which is just pure perfection. The pickups sound matches the beautiful hardware. Trust me once youve picked up any schecter, you wont put them down. Oh yea try searching for the C-1 FR. It has floyd rose, active pickups and beautiful finish for only $450 USD.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
Rock
Jun 12 2007, 02:55 AM
QUOTE (AIB234 @ Jun 11 2007, 06:49 PM) *
I've been looking into maybe picking up a Schecter guitar and from reading on here it seems like you guys know quite a bit about them.

I was bent on getting an Ibanez RG350DX, but when I saw the Schecter's, I loved their look.

I am going to London (in Ontario tongue.gif) this weekend and I think I might check them out.

I was really looking at these two:

I don't know much about Schecter's or buying new guitars in general.

Could you guys give me some advice about Schecter's and things to look for when I go down this weekend?

Thanks!

PS. These guitars may be a little out of my price range, so I may have to look at some cheaper ones, too.

I bought the C-1 Classic for $699US. I love this guitar. Great quality guitar for the money. I would have a listen to the Classic and the Hellraiser to see which one you like better seeing that the Classics have the SDs and the Hellraisers have the active EMGs. A matter of taste really. Schecter also makes a Floyd Rose version of the Hellraiser for another $150US if you are looking for a floating bridge. I haven't had one issue with my guitar. I hardly ever have to tune it. The only thing I would say is if you purchase a Schecter, it's worth changing out the tone and volume control pots for good US made CTS pots. Schecters are built in Korea so it makes sense that they would use Korean electronics, but they drop in and out and crackle. I changed mine out a week after I purchased for $50. I actually could have just purchased the pots online for $5 each and done it myself, but I figured for another $40 they could do it professionally and upgrade all the wire guage at the same time. This guitar is flawless for the money. I have heard a lot of guitars and I haven't heard as good a sounding guitar in the $700 - $800 price range. In my opinion, they compete in the $1200+ range.

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Jun 12 2007, 11:05 AM
QUOTE (AIB234 @ Jun 11 2007, 08:12 PM) *
They are Canadian dollars tongue.gif

Edit: The reason I don't buy one online is that I not only prefer to deal with people in person, but I have never played a Schecter and would certainly not buy a guitar without playing it first!

Great. Don't buy them without trying them. I'm like you. I prefer to have a live person to hit in the head with the guitar if I'm not happy. I want to check it in the store before bringing it home and have some weeks ruined because something is wrong. The finish is scratched, bad setup or whatever. But if the difference is 300USD is it worth it? How can musiciansfriend have those prizes? Both guitars are listed for a retail prize close to 1000$ on Schecters site.

As said the difference between them is a matter of taste. You have to pick out the one that suits you. One odd thing with the Classic is the lack of "fretmarkers" on 3, 5 ,7 fret and so on. Apart from that, play them and pick the one with the sound you prefer. They are both great and compete with much more expensive guitars in sound and quality.

I've tried several of the Schecter models and have never met one with the pot-problem. Until I got my Hellrasier. One pot was bad and the shop replaced it.

Right now I'm planning on buying the C1 Black Jack. Just haven't told my wife yet. wink.gif

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
kruchone
Jun 12 2007, 05:35 PM
I own a Schecter C-1 Elite, and I love how they play. The only thing is that the factory settings are set to where the bridge is a tad to close the the frets. This produces some buzzing when you pluck the low E string. Just raise the bridge and you're good to go!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
kahall
Jun 13 2007, 03:13 AM
Learning Roadie
I still have my C-1+ and I still love it. Only thing I had happen which was probably my fault was the output jack just fell out one day. No problem for me to put it back in but somehow the little nut that holds it in came loose. I check them often now and they are fine. It was probably loose the day I bought it but since I did not know what to check I never noticed it. So much easier to play then anything else I have tried and I cannot wait until I get a good amp to go with it. If you find one and you like the way it feels you will not be disappointed. Also I am not sure where you are from but at the guitar center here they told me I could bring it back within 30 days if for any reason I decided I did not like it. Like I said I still have it.

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
SDMF75
Jun 13 2007, 03:37 AM
I bought the Hellraiser C1-FR almost a month ago and couldn't be happier! This joker will scream and plays so smooth.

--------------------
Guitars - Schecter C1-FR Hellraiser Black Cherry
Ibanez Iceman w/ DiMarzio Super Distortion in the Bridge and DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell in the Neck
Xaviere XV-700 Cherry Sunburst (Les Paul copy)
Lyon Def Leppard Special Union Jack (to go under construction soon - 1st thing to be removed will be the Def Lep logo on the headstock and then off to change the pickups etc. - plays pretty well for a Target special)
Washburn KC-40 (in pieces and about to be re-painted)
Yamaha Classical Acoustic

Bass - Signed Gene Simmons Punisher Tobacco Sunburst #345 - Collector purposes only

Amp - Roland Cube 60, Roland MicroCube

Effects - Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah

Fat bottomed girls You make the rockin' world go round!!

+Quote Post
AIB234
Jun 13 2007, 04:06 AM
Sounds like I will seriously be looking at this guitar on Saturday smile.gif

What tips would you give me in prodding the guitar for quality? I know to do things like check for dents, play every fret to make sure they'll all solid, but what else should I do? I've only ever bought one guitar that wasn't from someone I knew and trusted and I ended up with a BC Rich Warlock Body Art guitar tongue.gif

Edit: The Warlock had a chip in the headstock which I not only overlooked, but the salesman did not inform me of which makes me quite unhappy with such mentioned retailer...

This post has been edited by AIB234: Jun 13 2007, 04:07 AM

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Jun 16 2007, 11:36 PM
hey, i might need to come with you to bellones to check out these schecters, i wanna see what im getting myself into with my next schecter smile.gif

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
AIB234
Jun 18 2007, 04:10 AM
I've decided to either go with the C-1 FR (not the hellraiser) or the Ibanez RG350GX. What say ye crowd to these options?

+Quote Post
Rock
Jun 18 2007, 04:55 AM
QUOTE (AIB234 @ Jun 18 2007, 04:10 AM) *
I've decided to either go with the C-1 FR (not the hellraiser) or the Ibanez RG350GX. What say ye crowd to these options?

The C-1 FR has the licensed Floyd Rose and I have read they may not be that good and that if you are getting a guitar with a Floyd Rose it should be an original.

+Quote Post
AIB234
Jun 18 2007, 06:19 PM
What is the difference between a Licensed FR and a regular FR? Here I thought 'licensed' meant official or something. Bah.

The thing for me is that so many people have Ibanez guitars, especially the 350. It's no bang on the 350 because it must be an amazing guitar but I would like something a little different. From what the guy at the guitar shop told me (you guys can hopefully help verify) is that these guitars are very comparable.

I said I liked the Schecter's look more (just wish it had a fretboard) and in response he told me that he normally tells people to not just worry about the looks, but beings Ibanez and Schecter came from the same factory and were so comparable that it was fine of me to choose whichever one I simply liked the look of more.

+Quote Post
AIB234
Jun 19 2007, 03:14 AM
QUOTE (Rock @ Jun 17 2007, 10:55 PM) *
The C-1 FR has the licensed Floyd Rose and I have read they may not be that good and that if you are getting a guitar with a Floyd Rose it should be an original.

I talked to the guy at the guitar shop tonight and he told me real FRs have not been made in almost 20 years and all FRs are licensed.

Sorry for the double post.

+Quote Post
SDMF75
Jun 19 2007, 04:05 AM
If you have any doubts about the Schecter read the reviews on them at the musicians friend site. after someone told me that I would like one I did the research and they're one of the only brands that get virtually no negative reviews. I went in in May with the intention of ordering the C1-FR but after playing the Hellraiser I had to have it. It's one unbelievable AXE! The EMG's in this thing scream and the sustain is great. The Floyd Rose is no big deal. It's just a matter of understanding how to adjust the springs in the back and putting something un the bridge when you replace the strings.

This post has been edited by SDMF75: Jun 19 2007, 04:07 AM

--------------------
Guitars - Schecter C1-FR Hellraiser Black Cherry
Ibanez Iceman w/ DiMarzio Super Distortion in the Bridge and DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell in the Neck
Xaviere XV-700 Cherry Sunburst (Les Paul copy)
Lyon Def Leppard Special Union Jack (to go under construction soon - 1st thing to be removed will be the Def Lep logo on the headstock and then off to change the pickups etc. - plays pretty well for a Target special)
Washburn KC-40 (in pieces and about to be re-painted)
Yamaha Classical Acoustic

Bass - Signed Gene Simmons Punisher Tobacco Sunburst #345 - Collector purposes only

Amp - Roland Cube 60, Roland MicroCube

Effects - Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah

Fat bottomed girls You make the rockin' world go round!!

+Quote Post
Rock
Jun 19 2007, 04:40 AM
QUOTE (SDMF75 @ Jun 19 2007, 04:05 AM) *
If you have any doubts about the Schecter read the reviews on them at the musicians friend site. after someone told me that I would like one I did the research and they're one of the only brands that get virtually no negative reviews. I went in in May with the intention of ordering the C1-FR but after playing the Hellraiser I had to have it. It's one unbelievable AXE! The EMG's in this thing scream and the sustain is great. The Floyd Rose is no big deal. It's just a matter of understanding how to adjust the springs in the back and putting something un the bridge when you replace the strings.

Like I posted, I have the C-1 Classic and I love it. My next guitar may be the C-1 Hellraiser FR since the Classic has the SDs and the Hellraiser FR has the active EMGs and the Floyd Rose. Then in a few years possibly a high end Fender like a Jem7V or something.

QUOTE (AIB234 @ Jun 19 2007, 03:14 AM) *
I talked to the guy at the guitar shop tonight and he told me real FRs have not been made in almost 20 years and all FRs are licensed.

Really? I have read posts where people have said the Original FR is better than the licensed. In fact, if you jump on the Schecter website they specifically list one as licensed and one as original. Maybe I will give them a call tomorrow to satisfy my curiosity. Nothing better than going to the source.

+Quote Post
Rock
Jun 19 2007, 05:08 AM
QUOTE (AIB234 @ Jun 19 2007, 03:14 AM) *

Ok, Floyd Rose still exists and there is definitely a difference. Here is a good description from Wikipdia

Models and varieties

Floyd Rose Original is the oldest model still in production. Since 1977, production models bearing this name are mostly the same as the first model, with only minor changes. Note that the name "Floyd Rose Original" is used to differentiate this system from "Floyd Rose Licensed". The first Original Floyds were double locking but did not have fine tuners, requiring the nut to be opened any time minute string intonation changes needed to be made.

Floyd Rose II is a lower end version of the Original Floyd used mostly on import and mid-range instruments. Originally, Floyd IIs were single locking, locking only at the nut. Later versions were made double locking, but used weaker materials than the Original Floyd Rose, making them less dependable.

Floyd Rose Licensed are made by other manufacturers that have purchased a license from Floyd Rose. These model generally follow the designs of the Floyd Rose Original, but tend to deviate slightly from the original for the manufacturing process to be more cost-efficient. Most licensed companies use the same design that makes their parts inter-changeable between any two licensed tremolos, but not the Floyd Rose Original. The bridges of such systems are clearly engraved "Licensed under Floyd Rose Patents" and Floyd Rose does not offer any customer support for them. Construction quality of Floyd Rose Licensed tremolos may be compromised due to the cost-efficient techniques, but the reliability of licensed models that match the price of originals are usually high, whereas cheaper variations are often of lower quality as they would have used cheaper manufacturing processes. Two well-known manufacturers of Floyd Rose Licensed tremolos are Schaller and Gotoh. The Ibanez Edge Pro tremolo is widely considered to be the best licensed variation, and many consider it equal or even better than the Original Floyd Rose.

Floyd Rose 7-String is a redesign of Floyd Rose Original for 7-string guitars. The design and working principles are otherwise the same.

Floyd Rose Pro is a low-profile version of Floyd Rose Original. The bridge and arm design is changed in a way that guitarist's hand would be generally closer to the strings while holding the tremolo arm. The bridge has a narrower string spacing (0.400 inches or 10.16 mm in this design versus 0.420 inches or 10.66 mm of the Floyd Rose Original). Fine tuners are slightly angled for more comfortable play.

Floyd Rose SpeedLoader Tremolo is a redesign introduced around 2003 that combines Floyd Rose Original with the SpeedLoader system to produce a new design that overcame many disadvantages of the original Floyd Rose Locking Tremolo design, but required special strings.

+Quote Post
MayleneFan
Jun 19 2007, 06:31 AM
I have 4 schecters in all: C1 Hellraiser (blk cherry), Omen-6, ACS Elite, and Omen-4. They're all great, and the hellraiser is AWESOME.

I'm kinda thinking about switching the EMGs out, but only to get a different sound, not cause I dont like them or anything. The fretboard is perfect, the tuners stay in tune perfectly, and it sustains like crazy. It also looks incredible under stage lights =).

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:50 PM