New Guitar From Line6, Variax
MickeM
Aug 11 2010, 09:16 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I never was impressed with self tuning guitars. No, I know they don’t exist I just grabbed a random sci fi term out of the thin blue air, how could there be such a thing as a self tuning guitar? The thought is proposterus! inside joke, just don’t comment on it. I’m just obliged to write about it wink.gif

Anyway, like I said these new innovations like self tuning, battery powered brain in a guitar or guitar modeling never was for me. Felt weird, strange, like future catching up with you.

There’s a new Variax out. It’s called JTV and comes from Line 6
http://tylervariax.com/

Three models for different purposes. The difference this time from the limited number of clips I’ve heard is that this guitar can hold its ground without a battery, sounds good. Models seem ok too.

I’m a little bit keen on this, don’t ask me why. I’ve got a H&K Switchblade with 10,000 preset sounds which is way too much already, I keep switching the channels old-school anyway. Take those presets times all the guitar models times all possible tunings and imagine how confusing that would get to me.
I really don’t need this JTV, I really don’t like too many options in a guitar or amp. But still I’m a bit caught with this one.
It’s not here in Sweden til autumn though so this decease will have time to pass. UK and USA has got them in stores I belive.

Does anyone have an opinion on the new Variax JTV, maybe even tried one?

That LP model is pretty sweet cool.gif
Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Staffy
Aug 11 2010, 11:20 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (MickeM @ Aug 11 2010, 10:16 AM) *
That LP model is pretty sweet cool.gif
Attached Image

Thats the only one that looks decent, the design of the others just stinks.....

//Staffay

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 11 2010, 12:58 PM
Learning Tone Master
The only thing that is powered by batteries in my guitars are the active pickups!
Give me a tube amp, some stomp-boxes and a good-old-fashioned guitar and I am happy for live... The more electronics you put in a guitar the more is going to fail on you sooner or later

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 11 2010, 03:15 PM
GMC:er
I'm the same way as zakk, Batteries power my pickups, thats about it. Too each his own though, if a self tuning guitar tweaks one's knickers, I say go for it smile.gif They look ok to me. I like the Black one with the inverted head stock, big shock.

The les paul looking one isn't bad, but I'm not digging the strat version. I'd like to have a roadie though to "self tune" and string and polish all of my guitars so I could spend that time playing them instead of maintaining them. But that's just me smile.gif

Todd

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Aug 11 2010, 03:16 PM
Instructor
I saw the promo for these,

pretty impressive!

but yes, I've got some doubts inside biggrin.gif

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 11 2010, 11:45 PM
Instructor
LP look-alike, looks nice, but the others are indeed poorly designed. I guess they made them after Fender & Ibanez, but couldn't use the original shapes, so they made something that looks similar so people can relate too. Poor attempt if you ask me. I hope they don't play as good as they look. wink.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
shatterd
Aug 12 2010, 02:00 AM
GMC:er
Give me an Ibanez RG anyday!!

--------------------
Ibanez RG470AH
Digitech RP1000
Tech21 'Sound Engine' 60 1x12 cab

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Aug 12 2010, 03:14 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
wink.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Aug 16 2010, 11:25 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
The LP actually looked good smile.gif

Thanks for sharing!

+Quote Post
sted
Aug 16 2010, 05:17 PM
Learning Rock Star
Yeah I was gnna post Robs review as well! I know Rob quite well, he has his own guitar company now but still reviews other stuff for andertons, he was blown away by the quality of the new Variax guitars, and thats the Korean ones! Belive me this is a guy who knows his onions!
Me, I dunno really, I'd have to try it, I'm not in the habit of dismissing things out of hand anymore, I did that with EMG's for years until I owned a guitar with them, now I think theyre storming pickups. In the right situation this could be a good product, if you play a lot of diverse songs in a covers band then it could save you taking more than one guitar, also for alt tunings (Which the metalheadz love!) there would be no need for having different guitars at the stage side.
I'll definitley try one when theyre more readily available, think of it like this, they are decent guitars in their own right, they just have all the extra electric gubbins too! Can that ever be a bad thing??

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Aug 16 2010, 05:23 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I use a lot of line 6 products and love them to death, But Line 6 just shouldn't make guitars. I have played most of them and they feel fake. I don't even like the LP design, I generally don't like any guitar that is so obviously a failed immitation of already iconic images. Either have the guts to somehow license the design for use or try to do something new.

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Aug 16 2010, 07:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Aug 16 2010, 11:23 AM) *
Either have the guts to somehow license the design for use or try to do something new.

gotta agree here man, they look bad.
they sound i think good, BUT, rob is a great player... biggrin.gif

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:51 AM