8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Badass Blues Collab, It had to happen
Ben Higgins
Jul 27 2015, 06:48 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 27 2015, 05:14 PM) *
Spiff!! Digging your take here smile.gif I"m about to sit down and record one myself. Inspiring!

Bring the firepower, T-Sim!! cool.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Jul 28 2015, 10:36 PM
Learning Roadie
i work on, but idea are poor..... don't find the right tone & effect, don"t know on witch guitar use... the mess

Laurent

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Jul 29 2015, 04:49 AM
Learning Rock Star

I decided that this is my take... It may have some messups but I like it.

This post has been edited by Jim S.: Jul 29 2015, 05:10 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Badass_2.mp3 ( 1.39MB ) Number of downloads: 89
Attached File  trim.53E45B6E_64DA_4E65_8D12_A926792D0219.MOV ( 27.53MB ) Number of downloads: 91

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 29 2015, 09:18 AM
Instructor
Morning all!

I've recorded another small phrase for you to work with. This is a common blues lick that uses a slide to move from the 5th to 6th fret and back again. If you look at the screen grab you'll see that you can use just your 1st and 3rd fingers to play this lick. If you listen to the recording you'll notice an audible difference between the first slide lick and the second slide lick. The second slide lick uses an extra picked note which makes it sound more aggressive. Have a play with it and see if you can work it into your solos smile.gif

Attached File  Badass_Blues_Collab_ex2.mp3 ( 742.43K ) Number of downloads: 159

Attached Image

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Jul 28 2015, 09:36 PM) *
i work on, but idea are poor..... don't find the right tone & effect, don"t know on witch guitar use... the mess

Laurent

Hey Laurent, you're doing fine my friend - don't quit on us now, you're part of our team!

A slightly distorted clean tone will work fine, which is what I've used. Or you can have a bit more gain if you prefer - it's up to you. Use whichever guitar is most comfortable and enjoyable to play.

Most blues masters would shake their heads at me for using a 7 string Ibanez but guess what? It works! biggrin.gif

Also.. take a look at this latest lick I've posted. We will keep using this collab thread to share ideas and help each other build a solo!

QUOTE (Jim S. @ Jul 29 2015, 03:49 AM) *

I decided that this is my take... It may have some messups but I like it.

Cheers Jim. Damn right.. if it feels right - it is right!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 30 2015, 07:38 PM
Instructor
Hey guys.... check this post out for some ideas to use in the collab!

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=716053

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Jul 31 2015, 10:53 AM
Learning Roadie
Another try.....

https://soundcloud.com/maxime-bon-3/test-blues-bad-ass-2

edit:

another try

https://soundcloud.com/maxime-bon-3/test-blues-bad-ass-3

Laurent

This post has been edited by fzalfa: Jul 31 2015, 04:53 PM

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post
bleez
Jul 31 2015, 07:56 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
obviously Id prefer to get something way more sophisticated and 'widdly' cool.gif but this is what Ive been working on -

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 3 2015, 09:02 AM
Instructor
Sorry for the delay, guys.. obviously the site has been down and then I was collecting and stacking bales of hay into the evening yesterday... and I've got another day of it today!! rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Jul 31 2015, 09:53 AM) *

Hi Laurent, your 2nd take here is more sophisticated and controlled than the first. I'd like to encourage you to allow more empty spaces between your phrases. At the moment, you're filling most of the space. In blues you want to leave little gaps here and there smile.gif

You're using mainly the natural minor scale which has 2 extra notes than the minor pentatonic. This can make it sound too dark sometimes.. too dark for blues even. Maybe try using only the minor pentatonic as it will suit the backing more. Or try a bit of both??

QUOTE (bleez @ Jul 31 2015, 06:56 PM) *
obviously Id prefer to get something way more sophisticated and 'widdly' cool.gif but this is what Ive been working on -

This is great stuff by the great Scot(t)! cool.gif

You've got a good mixture of slowness with business. My fave bit is how you outline that chord turnaround at 0:44-0:45 - excellent! I only wished for that whole tone bend at 0:48 to be a semitone higher, so it would be a minor 3rd instead of a 9th... if you had hit that note and let it hang (or picked it a few times at the top of the bend)and then brought it down a semitone for the F chord it would have been just perfect! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Aug 3 2015, 09:03 AM

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Aug 3 2015, 09:17 AM
Learning Roadie
ok Ben, i'll do another try with penta only

Laurent

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post
bleez
Aug 3 2015, 11:30 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Aug 3 2015, 09:02 AM) *
This is great stuff by the great Scot(t)! cool.gif

You've got a good mixture of slowness with business. My fave bit is how you outline that chord turnaround at 0:44-0:45 - excellent! I only wished for that whole tone bend at 0:48 to be a semitone higher, so it would be a minor 3rd instead of a 9th... if you had hit that note and let it hang (or picked it a few times at the top of the bend)and then brought it down a semitone for the F chord it would have been just perfect! biggrin.gif

thank ye kindly sir biggrin.gif
I wasnt 100% on that last bend, sometimes it sounded really nice and other times I thought it was a bit iffy. I'll defo try that extra semitone though, still got plenty time before the deadline. Thanks for the pointer smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 4 2015, 04:55 AM
GMC:er
Here's one from me smile.gif Of course, per usual, I am still struggling with leaving any gaps of any kind in a solo smile.gif I found a tone that didn't lend itself to shreddery which helped keep me in check a bit. I"m using only the built in tone bits inside of LOGIC X.

https://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/blues-project-logic-x

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 4 2015, 08:55 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ Aug 3 2015, 10:30 AM) *
thank ye kindly sir biggrin.gif
I wasnt 100% on that last bend, sometimes it sounded really nice and other times I thought it was a bit iffy. I'll defo try that extra semitone though, still got plenty time before the deadline. Thanks for the pointer smile.gif

Yeah, 9ths can be a funny interval.... it's all about how you resolve it with what note comes next - it's all trial and error! smile.gif

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 4 2015, 03:55 AM) *
Here's one from me smile.gif Of course, per usual, I am still struggling with leaving any gaps of any kind in a solo smile.gif I found a tone that didn't lend itself to shreddery which helped keep me in check a bit. I"m using only the built in tone bits inside of LOGIC X.

That's a dang nice tone there, T-Power! Is that traces of an auto wah on there??

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Aug 3 2015, 08:17 AM) *
ok Ben, i'll do another try with penta only

Laurent

Ok great, I look forward to it!

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Aug 4 2015, 10:51 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi

hard for me to play only with straight penta....

i have done this

https://soundcloud.com/maxime-bon-3/test-blues-bad-ass-1

and this too

https://soundcloud.com/maxime-bon-3/test-blues-bad-ass-4

not fixed about tone and gear to use

Laurent

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post
GGTopGuitarist
Aug 4 2015, 07:20 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
OK! I just did my video! I'll give it a mix another day and send it here biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Spent a lot of time on it (y)

wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 5 2015, 02:02 AM
Thanks Ben smile.gif Believe it or not, I put aside my beloved auto wah, this is a patch using the pedal board inside LOGIC X.

I think what your hearing is the SPIN BOX and TOTAL TREMOLO doing a bit of a wah impersonation smile.gif Here is a grab.

Attached Image

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Aug 4 2015, 03:55 AM) *
Yeah, 9ths can be a funny interval.... it's all about how you resolve it with what note comes next - it's all trial and error! smile.gif

That's a dang nice tone there, T-Power! Is that traces of an auto wah on there??

Ok great, I look forward to it!

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Aug 5 2015, 10:53 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 4 2015, 04:55 AM) *

hey !! i love this track mate!!!

Laurent

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 5 2015, 03:21 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (fzalfa @ Aug 4 2015, 09:51 AM) *
Hi

hard for me to play only with straight penta....

i have done this

https://soundcloud.com/maxime-bon-3/test-blues-bad-ass-1

and this too

https://soundcloud.com/maxime-bon-3/test-blues-bad-ass-4

not fixed about tone and gear to use

Laurent

Hey Laurent, this 1st take is really good - this is really in blues territory now. The tone is the best one you've tried so far. The note choice is also the best. I can hear more pauses between the phrases which allows everything to breathe. As guitarists, we don't have to fill every single space with something.. we're just like vocalists. Sing a line here and there smile.gif

Great job - how do you feel about it?

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 5 2015, 01:02 AM) *
Thanks Ben smile.gif Believe it or not, I put aside my beloved auto wah, this is a patch using the pedal board inside LOGIC X.

I think what your hearing is the SPIN BOX and TOTAL TREMOLO doing a bit of a wah impersonation smile.gif Here is a grab.

Attached Image

Ah right.. it's got this really nice quality where it seems to open out on the extended notes smile.gif

+Quote Post
Procyon
Aug 6 2015, 04:30 PM
I finally managed to record my take... I planned to do it earlier but then I slightly injured my hand and couldn't play for some days. It should be ok now... dry.gif

Well, bleez, I just realised that my take starts exactly the same way as yours! Of course I did not steal your idea (I just saw your take right now) - but it must be a really good idea since I absolutely like your take, it's awesome!

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Aug 6 2015, 05:29 PM
Learning Roadie
yeah, i love it !

Laurent

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post
bleez
Aug 6 2015, 05:45 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Procyon @ Aug 6 2015, 04:30 PM) *
Well, bleez, I just realised that my take starts exactly the same way as yours! Of course I did not steal your idea (I just saw your take right now) - but it must be a really good idea since I absolutely like your take, it's awesome!

LOL!
It is a rather sophisticated bend, that's for sure biggrin.gif
very nice take dude, and lovely SG as well.

--------------------

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:41 AM