Vibrato (string Gauge), How do you do it?
Marco Fattori
Mar 30 2010, 05:29 PM
GMC:er
For example, Im talking about wide heavy aggressive vibrato. Like Zakk Wylde wide, I use D'Addario 10's on a Floyd Rose (hate Floyd Rose bridges these days) and the string tension is okay, but vibrato becomes a little difficult especially wide vibrato.

A lot ofprofessional Guitarist with amazing vibrato such as Marco Sfogli an Italian Guitarist, and many Japanese Guitarist (Leda, Syu, Takayoshi Ohmura) use 9's for easy control. As I bend up and try and come back down to raise back up the tension fights it hard.

Do you guys alter string gauge to make wide vibrato easier? Or is it over practice and time that it becomes either easier or the fingers get stronger, Ive been trying to practice excellent vibrato for a while now, and I'm a perfectionist. tongue.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 7)
coffeeman
Mar 30 2010, 05:32 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Practice is the key!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The only thing yo can do, is what you love!

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Mar 30 2010, 06:29 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
Coffeeman is right, it is all a matter of practice and getting used to your strings. You have to get a feel for your string gauge, you have to know how much strength you need for certain bends or vibratos, and you just have to practice this. IN the beginning it might be hard for you, cause you sometimes need a lot of strength for certain things, but it will become more and more easy.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 30 2010, 07:11 PM
Instructor
Marcus is right, it will become easier with time, don't worry. Just keep practicing them. Good vibrato needs some year or two to develop to a decent level. After that, there are many finesses too. Just keep working on it.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 30 2010, 07:38 PM
GMC:er
Some really good replies here. They are right on, it's practice that makes the difference. Try spending part of your practice time each day doing nothing but bends and vibrato. Little vibrato, big vibrato, small, large, slow, fast etc. Eventually you will be doing it exactly the way you want it to sound.

Practice!
Todd
*Join me Saturdays at 4:00 Pm EST
For Video Chat Lessons!

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Apr 1 2010, 06:23 AM
Instructor
One of my favorite guitarists vibrato-wise is Marty Friedman, such aggresive bends. I guess it would be a good idea to just look at how they do it and try to emulate it

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Apr 1 2010, 07:39 AM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
Good tip, we can of course learn a lot by checking out what the people that we like are doing, and trying to incorporate such things into our own playing.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Zsolt Galambos
Apr 1 2010, 07:23 PM
GMC Coordinator & Instructor
To be able phisicaly to execute wide vibratos, you must have a strong fretting hand and also you should be able to loosen it. Practice does make one perfect, but you'll have to go through real pain in your fretting fingers. If you are persistant you can achieve it, but you should always try to use the type of vibrato you are working on every time you practice something.

As for the string gauge, you can use 9's, but I strongly recomend at least 10's for the richer and warmer tone. I use 10's and I tune to D standard lately, but I used 10/11 hybrids before.

I've made a video in the style of Zakk Wylde that will soon be published, and I use wide vibratos there, you can check it out.

QUOTE (Marco Fattori @ Mar 30 2010, 05:29 PM) *
For example, Im talking about wide heavy aggressive vibrato. Like Zakk Wylde wide, I use D'Addario 10's on a Floyd Rose (hate Floyd Rose bridges these days) and the string tension is okay, but vibrato becomes a little difficult especially wide vibrato.

A lot ofprofessional Guitarist with amazing vibrato such as Marco Sfogli an Italian Guitarist, and many Japanese Guitarist (Leda, Syu, Takayoshi Ohmura) use 9's for easy control. As I bend up and try and come back down to raise back up the tension fights it hard.

Do you guys alter string gauge to make wide vibrato easier? Or is it over practice and time that it becomes either easier or the fingers get stronger, Ive been trying to practice excellent vibrato for a while now, and I'm a perfectionist. tongue.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile

Check out my Personal Board

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:11 PM