3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Glengraf88
glengraf88
Feb 26 2009, 03:35 AM
GMC:er
my name is glen. I am in the military. I just started learning guitar I have wanted to learn to play guitar since i was nine but never had the money. I decided about two weeks ago to give it a shot and went out and bought a guitar and amp, I just recently picked up a line 6 xlt live pedal tone board. I listen to a lot of metal, Lamb of God, Slayer, Opeth, Amonamarth, unearth, metallica, cannible corpse, arch enemy,.. i could go on and on but i think yoy ucan get a genaral feel from this list of what I listen too. In the end run i would love to learn to play metal but i understand that i just cant dive right in ( or can I ) lol. I can dedicate 2 hrs a day maybe more to this. I have a webcam. I do not have a practise routine due to the fact that I do not know where to start. I have not completed many lessons I have 1 video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp9j7DcfZvE (sry it was out of tune. I have a tuner now lol. If there is any other info that you need plz let me know.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by glengraf88: Feb 26 2009, 03:53 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Feb 26 2009, 05:04 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Thanks for checking in Glen and also for your services in the Military. I hope I can help you with your learning journey and help with adding some fun time in between your duties. Please call me Jeff, as UncleSkillet is kind of lame. laugh.gif biggrin.gif

You are new to this and have some time to practice, which is really a good thing. I picked these 3 lessons for you for many reasons and would like you to start ASAP!

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/memberson...ower-chords.htm
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...er-deep-purple/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...-and-arpeggios/

What do you think? smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by UncleSkillet: Feb 26 2009, 05:05 AM

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
glengraf88
Feb 26 2009, 07:17 AM
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Feb 25 2009, 10:04 PM) *
Thanks for checking in Glen and also for your services in the Military. I hope I can help you with your learning journey and help with adding some fun time in between your duties. Please call me Jeff, as UncleSkillet is kind of lame. laugh.gif biggrin.gif

You are new to this and have some time to practice, which is really a good thing. I picked these 3 lessons for you for many reasons and would like you to start ASAP!

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/memberson...ower-chords.htm
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...er-deep-purple/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...-and-arpeggios/

What do you think? smile.gif

I will start right away on these what is the best way to tackle these. i tend to jump around a lot. I dont think that helps me. do i have a dead line. should i practise the same time evryday would that help. lol sry bout the bombardment of ?s.
i looked at all of them i really like the last one.

This post has been edited by glengraf88: Feb 26 2009, 07:19 AM

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Feb 27 2009, 12:42 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Telling you when to practice I can't do. You know when you have free time. You said you have maybe 2hrs a day to practice right? Lets try breaking it down like this and see how it works.

15 - 20 minutes on lesson 1. I choose Kris's lesson because it is similar to what you where wanting to play in your video. I want you to listen to what he is telling you about technique and muting with the palm of your right hand. Then apply this when you play your power chords.

30 minutes on lesson 2. Smoke on the water is a classic, which all beginners should learn to play. Plus you will learn a new way of playing chords.

30 - 45 minutes on lesson 3. Muris's lesson will help you get control of your left hand fingering and teach you how to start picking. Play attention to how you hold the pick and your posture while playing. Don't try and practice sitting the same way you did in your video. This will make thing more difficult and create bad habits as far as technique goes.

I would like a minimum of 1 upload a week. More is better especially if your having problem. I'm here to help so don't be afraid to use me. You can't ask to many questions.

Does this plain sound like it will work with your day? smile.gif

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
glengraf88
Feb 27 2009, 01:48 AM
Ok sounds good i think this will work. So you are sugessting that i stand while i practise. I will give it a go but for some reason i find it uncomfotable doing that but it makes since and i am sure it will get better as time goes. the 1 upload a week should not be a problem i will probally do an upload for each lesson.
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Feb 26 2009, 05:42 PM) *
Telling you when to practice I can't do. You know when you have free time. You said you have maybe 2hrs a day to practice right? Lets try breaking it down like this and see how it works.

15 - 20 minutes on lesson 1. I choose Kris's lesson because it is similar to what you where wanting to play in your video. I want you to listen to what he is telling you about technique and muting with the palm of your right hand. Then apply this when you play your power chords.

30 minutes on lesson 2. Smoke on the water is a classic, which all beginners should learn to play. Plus you will learn a new way of playing chords.

30 - 45 minutes on lesson 3. Muris's lesson will help you get control of your left hand fingering and teach you how to start picking. Play attention to how you hold the pick and your posture while playing. Don't try and practice sitting the same way you did in your video. This will make thing more difficult and create bad habits as far as technique goes.

I would like a minimum of 1 upload a week. More is better especially if your having problem. I'm here to help so don't be afraid to use me. You can't ask to many questions.

Does this plain sound like it will work with your day? smile.gif

I know this is probally a preference thing but what is a good size pick to use right now i have a .88 in my hand would it be better to use a thinner or thicker one. i

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Feb 27 2009, 02:03 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (glengraf88 @ Feb 26 2009, 07:48 PM) *
Ok sounds good i think this will work. So you are sugessting that i stand while i practise. I will give it a go but for some reason i find it uncomfotable doing that but it makes since and i am sure it will get better as time goes. the 1 upload a week should not be a problem i will probally do an upload for each lesson.

You don't have to stand and play. When I watched your video you looked kind of hunched over which can cause bad playing habits. By all means sit when you practice. Just look at Muris an how he is sitting in his lesson. That's what I'm talking about bro. smile.gif

I know this is probally a preference thing but what is a good size pick to use right now i have a .88 in my hand would it be better to use a thinner or thicker one. i

It is a preference thing and if a .88 is comfortable then use it. We can experiment with this later. When you start to play solo's we can try a few different ones and talk more about it.

Looking forward to your uploads (yes one upload for each lesson is what I meant) and if you have any questions at all please ask. The only stupid question is the one that was never asked. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
glengraf88
Feb 27 2009, 02:33 AM
https://www.youtube.com/user/gsquared88 Check the main video i just made it. I thought it would be a good idea to show you where I am so u can let me know what i need to improve and how. I also wanted to know if you know what caused the weired change in volume and tone torwards the end.

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Feb 27 2009, 03:38 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (glengraf88 @ Feb 26 2009, 08:33 PM) *
https://www.youtube.com/user/gsquared88 Check the main video i just made it. I thought it would be a good idea to show you where I am so u can let me know what i need to improve and how. I also wanted to know if you know what caused the weired change in volume and tone torwards the end.

I’m not sure why your sound volume changed. That was weird. Maybe check your connections and chords to make sure they’re cool and give it a reboot. Also maybe look at the audio recording settings and video quality. You want a balance between the two so one doesn’t take more priority over the other. When you are recording make sure there are no other programs at all running in the background also.

I can see you are already applying some of the things Kris talks about in his lesson. Well done bro! biggrin.gif Just pay more attention to your right hand. wink.gif Relax it more like when you do the mute strumming part and pull it back more towards the bridge of the guitar. I hope that makes since. Also make sure your guitar is in tune. What are you using to tune your guitar?

Can’t wait to see more takes. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
glengraf88
Feb 27 2009, 03:54 AM
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Feb 26 2009, 08:38 PM) *
I’m not sure why your sound volume changed. That was weird. Maybe check your connections and chords to make sure they’re cool and give it a reboot. Also maybe look at the audio recording settings and video quality. You want a balance between the two so one doesn’t take more priority over the other. When you are recording make sure there are no other programs at all running in the background also.

I can see you are already applying some of the things Kris talks about in his lesson. Well done bro! biggrin.gif Just pay more attention to your right hand. wink.gif Relax it more like when you do the mute strumming part and pull it back more towards the bridge of the guitar. I hope that makes since. Also make sure your guitar is in tune. What are you using to tune your guitar?

Can’t wait to see more takes. smile.gif

My guitar is tuned to standard E. maybe it is the tone i was useing from the xtlive. Thanks for the advice will work on it. didnt even thinkg aboout closeing the programs. well thanks and ill keep at it.

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Feb 27 2009, 04:01 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
I like your determination man, keep rockin it out!

We will get you there sooner then you think. smile.gif Keep the takes comming.

--------------------

+Quote Post
glengraf88
Feb 27 2009, 04:20 AM
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Feb 26 2009, 09:01 PM) *
I like your determination man, keep rockin it out!

We will get you there sooner then you think. smile.gif Keep the takes comming.

here is my first take on the smoke on the water lesson. what do you think what should i work on.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYJ3-lJanI4

any chance you can post a video of your faviorte thing to play or what you would consider to be the most proud of.
One more ? what made you decide to learn guitar, and who was your guitar idol. I just wanna know more about you thanks jeff.

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Feb 27 2009, 04:27 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
laugh.gif Your a machine with your practicing tonight. I like that! biggrin.gif

You’re playing the correct notes but your only using your index finger only and sliding that around. Go back and look at Andrews lesson and look at his fingering with the left hand. That is what you want to emulate. You have 4 fingers bro so don't limit yours to just one.

Thanks man, now back to work smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
glengraf88
Feb 27 2009, 04:33 AM
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Feb 26 2009, 09:27 PM) *
laugh.gif Your a machine with your practicing tonight. I like that! biggrin.gif

You’re playing the correct notes but your only using your index finger only and sliding that around. Go back and look at Andrews lesson and look at his fingering with the left hand. That is what you want to emulate. You have 4 fingers bro so don't limit yours to just one.

Thanks man, now back to work smile.gif

wow didnt even think of that thank you. i will get back at it. i bet it will sound better because i am not always slideing that one finger around lol.

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Feb 27 2009, 04:39 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
biggrin.gif tongue.gif

I sent you a PM so check that as well. Pay attention to the part about backing tracks and metronome. Let me know if you need help with that.

This post has been edited by UncleSkillet: Feb 27 2009, 04:40 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
glengraf88
Mar 2 2009, 04:27 AM
Hey can you please look over the smoke on the water video i just realized that i am missing a couple of notes i watched though the video and could figure out how to play them.

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Mar 2 2009, 03:27 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hey Glen, I am work and can't really pull up the lesson right now. I did notice that you left out several things with your last upload of this. One thing being the slide chord from the 6 fret up to the 5th in the intro section. Also the whole rhythem section where the vocal come in.

Your question isn't very clear to me. Go back through each video again and if you are still have a question maybe you can post the section of the lesson giving you problems (for example: video section 3).

Let me know man and I will help you when I get home.

--------------------

+Quote Post
glengraf88
Mar 2 2009, 05:55 PM
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Mar 2 2009, 08:27 AM) *
Hey Glen, I am work and can't really pull up the lesson right now. I did notice that you left out several things with your last upload of this. One thing being the slide chord from the 6 fret up to the 5th in the intro section. Also the whole rhythem section where the vocal come in.

Your question isn't very clear to me. Go back through each video again and if you are still have a question maybe you can post the section of the lesson giving you problems (for example: video section 3).

Let me know man and I will help you when I get home.

Ok I am at work to but when I get off I will go though the lesson and see if I can go though the lesson and pick up what I miss. The other ? I had was is there anyway to get a tab for this lesson I think that would help me greatly. I clicked on tab next to the lesson and it said it was not available. I have looked on line for one and I found some but they are not the same most of them show me how to play it on one string, and that is not what I want to learn. Because this lesson is helping me learn to switch strings when playing chords.

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Mar 3 2009, 01:34 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hey Glen, did you get things worked out? Let me know if you still have a question or need some help. smile.gif

This post has been edited by UncleSkillet: Mar 3 2009, 01:34 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
glengraf88
Mar 3 2009, 01:48 AM
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Mar 2 2009, 06:34 PM) *
Hey Glen, did you get things worked out? Let me know if you still have a question or need some help. smile.gif

i believe i figured it out. expect an upload in the next 2 or 3 days. I am haveing a problem with that slideing part it is inconsistant (sounds diffrent evrytime i do it. I will work on it though.

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Mar 3 2009, 02:02 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Sounds good man! If that part is giving you problem play it slow and look at your fingers to see if you can spot what's going on. Do the same with your picking hand also.

Feel free to upload I quick video of you just playing that part a few times. I could help you figure it out if your stuck.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:52 PM