5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Writing My Own Comic !, Inspired by my song..
Ben Higgins
Sep 19 2012, 07:50 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (WeePee @ Sep 19 2012, 06:03 PM) *
There was 2 options. Ingnore the punks or beat them. A good choise man. smile.gif

Yes, it was the logical choice... and let's face it. You guys wouldn't have accepted otherwise !! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (bleez @ Sep 19 2012, 06:40 PM) *
indeed smile.gif very good.

have you done this kind of thing before or have you got a bit of a graphic novel collection? Im just curious because the 'camera' angles ( or layout ) of the panels is really good, It really flows well visually.
I liked the part when his adrenalin kicks in, I get the impression you are well up on the mechanics of self defence and confrontations.

liked it a lot dude.

Thanks a lot !

I used to draw like crazy from a really young age.. pre school age. And I guess I drifted away from drawing in my late teens, very early 20's. I used to draw loads of stuff like people and machinery.. diggers, cranes etc..

Then I got into WWF and used to draw pics of wrestlers like Hulk Hogan (complete with skullet) etc.. I think that helped me develop my basic anatomy..

Eventually I started very small comics that maybe lasted a page or 2 pages. There was one called The Pub which is about this psychotic pub owner who starts fights with his own clientèle for no reason. I'll have to find it and scan it in so you guys can see it.

I wasn't an avid collector or buyer of comics really. I did have some over the years but the things that I had access to the most were Annuals, compilations of comic strips and stories etc.. things like Eagle etc.. we're talking things that went back to the 60's and 70's I think. I have got some more modern 1990's hardback DC Batman ones as well though. My Mum used to pick them up from charity shops.

One of my big faves though is a Batman saga called Knightfall. I actually picked that up again and brought it back home with me to read it. That was probably a couple of days before I decided to start this Frank comic. It probably subconsciously influenced me to go for it again smile.gif

EDIT: Oh yeah, about the self defence angle.. my interest in the martial arts led me into a lot of research and finding a lot of great material from a guy called Geoff Thompson, among others. Another great book that I would recommend to anyone with a passing interest in real life MA / Nature of violence / Door work is 'Working with Warriors'. There's stuff in there that would make your toes curl !

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Sep 19 2012, 07:52 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 19 2012, 10:38 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 19 2012, 07:50 PM) *
One of my big faves though is a Batman saga called Knightfall. I actually picked that up again and brought it back home with me to read it. That was probably a couple of days before I decided to start this Frank comic. It probably subconsciously influenced me to go for it again smile.gif

EDIT: Oh yeah, about the self defence angle.. my interest in the martial arts led me into a lot of research and finding a lot of great material from a guy called Geoff Thompson, among others. Another great book that I would recommend to anyone with a passing interest in real life MA / Nature of violence / Door work is 'Working with Warriors'. There's stuff in there that would make your toes curl !

Ive not read Knightfall but I do have what some may describe as an unhealthy amount of graphic novels and comic books rolleyes.gif and tbh if I were to pick up your Frank comic without knowing anything about it theres no way I would think it was a debut. I would assume it was from a much more established writer.
Ive read a couple of books by Geoff thompson, 'Fear' - which at first seems like a poncy self-help type book but actually is really good and 'animal day' where he pressure tests his martial arts. He's an interesting dude smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 20 2012, 01:55 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ Sep 19 2012, 10:38 PM) *
Ive not read Knightfall but I do have what some may describe as an unhealthy amount of graphic novels and comic books rolleyes.gif and tbh if I were to pick up your Frank comic without knowing anything about it theres no way I would think it was a debut. I would assume it was from a much more established writer.
Ive read a couple of books by Geoff thompson, 'Fear' - which at first seems like a poncy self-help type book but actually is really good and 'animal day' where he pressure tests his martial arts. He's an interesting dude smile.gif

Thanks for the encouraging words !! smile.gif

I've a few of Geoff's books, including some of his self help based ones. His autobiography 'Watch my Back' was the first I read.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 25 2012, 07:13 PM
Instructor
Just wanted to update you guys.. I'm deep into Part 3 of Frank Blake, Vigilante.. so that should hopefully be available soon ! smile.gif

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
Oct 25 2012, 07:23 PM
Tone Seeker

This post has been edited by WeePee: Oct 25 2012, 07:23 PM

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 25 2012, 07:24 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (WeePee @ Oct 25 2012, 07:23 PM) *

Even though I've seen that video I still had to stop what I was doing and press 'play' ! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 15 2012, 10:35 AM
Instructor
Part 3 now up !!!! Took a bit longer than I anticipated but here it is smile.gif

Expect the usual atrocious artwork and bad language wink.gif

http://bit.ly/UHYw7L

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
Nov 15 2012, 01:37 PM
Tone Seeker
Aww man it's getting better !

Funny quotes in the kitchen tongue.gif

And the last screen...small world 'eh ?

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 15 2012, 03:08 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (WeePee @ Nov 15 2012, 12:37 PM) *
Aww man it's getting better !

Funny quotes in the kitchen tongue.gif

And the last screen...small world 'eh ?

Hehe, glad you like it !! biggrin.gif

What do you mean about the last bit ? He's a new character, not to be confused with the guy who got head butted in the first episode. Is that what you were meaning ? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 15 2012, 04:45 PM
Instructor
No, no, the head butted guy had a little goatie - Zappa style biggrin.gif Right Ben?

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
Nov 15 2012, 04:52 PM
Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Nov 15 2012, 06:08 PM) *
What do you mean about the last bit ? He's a new character, not to be confused with the guy who got head butted in the first episode. Is that what you were meaning ? smile.gif

Oh I thought it was.
Yep the 1st guy had a beard.

+Quote Post
bleez
Nov 15 2012, 05:52 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
yes indeed biggrin.gif
nice one ben, enjoyed that. smile.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 15 2012, 06:31 PM
GMC:er
Well how freaking spiff is this? Well done! Really fine art Ben! Drawing has some great parallels to guitar IMHO, the practice, time, dedication, it's a thing of beauty when one commits to something important (like music or art).

If you have not done so already, maybe checkout SCRIBD! They are very cool site that will do an online publishing for you and your work shows up in search engines and such and you can give it away or sell it or whatev.

http://www.scribd.com/

P.S. BEN!!! Merch!!!! I went to buy a RECKONING Tshirt and No Long Sleeve Black!! sad.gif Will that site let you assign your design to long sleeve version? If so, SOLD!!!! PM me if possible smile.gif

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 15 2012, 06:33 AM) *
Hey Guys. I've been working on this for a while. Some of you may know I released a song called Vigilante a while back.. well the theme of the song made me create a character called Frank. Before I got into the guitar, drawing was my first love. I hadn't really kept it up but I started again recently. I'm a bit out of practise and my art is never going to win any awards but I think the rough and ready approach works for what I want..

Anyway, I plan on expanding this story. I know where I want it to go and it's going to be one hell of a task but it should be worth it when it's done ! I hope you enjoy. biggrin.gif

WARNING ! Does contain explicit language !

http://www.thereckoning.net/frank-blake---vigilante.php

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 15 2012, 06:35 PM

+Quote Post
mroberts70
Nov 15 2012, 06:39 PM
GMC:er
Two things...

First off, LOL! Really, you had to put a disclaimer about language into a Ben Higgins creation? We knew that...

Second, HOLY (censored!) ... that was AWESOME man!

Where's the "Like" button? biggrin.gif

...oh, who is your suggestion for a guitar instructor now that you'll be tied up autographing CD's and comics?

--------------------
Air Guitar Instructor

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 15 2012, 07:37 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 15 2012, 03:45 PM) *
No, no, the head butted guy had a little goatie - Zappa style biggrin.gif Right Ben?

Yeah, the Zappa goatie !!! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (WeePee @ Nov 15 2012, 03:52 PM) *
Oh I thought it was.
Yep the 1st guy had a beard.

That would have been a good twist to the story though, I didn't think of that smile.gif

QUOTE (bleez @ Nov 15 2012, 04:52 PM) *
yes indeed biggrin.gif
nice one ben, enjoyed that. smile.gif

Brill !!

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 15 2012, 05:31 PM) *
Well how freaking spiff is this? Well done! Really fine art Ben! Drawing has some great parallels to guitar IMHO, the practice, time, dedication, it's a thing of beauty when one commits to something important (like music or art).

If you have not done so already, maybe checkout SCRIBD! They are very cool site that will do an online publishing for you and your work shows up in search engines and such and you can give it away or sell it or whatev.

http://www.scribd.com/

P.S. BEN!!! Merch!!!! I went to buy a RECKONING Tshirt and No Long Sleeve Black!! sad.gif Will that site let you assign your design to long sleeve version? If so, SOLD!!!! PM me if possible smile.gif

Thanks T-Master ! smile.gif

Oh man, I wish it was possible with the long sleeve thing because that would look epic. All the T shirts were already done off the assembly line so no option to create one, so to speak. However, as soon as The Reckoning's music picks up attention etc and I can afford to I'll have long sleeves smile.gif

QUOTE (mroberts70 @ Nov 15 2012, 05:39 PM) *
First off, LOL! Really, you had to put a disclaimer about language into a Ben Higgins creation? We knew that...

Hahaha, good point !!! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 14 2013, 02:34 PM
Instructor
PART 4 IS FINALLY HERE !! biggrin.gif

http://www.thereckoning.net/frank-blake---vigilante.php

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
Jan 14 2013, 03:03 PM
Tone Seeker
Good ! I forgot to ask have you been drawing lately cool.gif

EDIT:

Wow thank God Frank's apartment toilet is an old fashion style.

What would he do with this... biggrin.gif wink.gif

Really funking impressive Ben !!

This post has been edited by WeePee: Jan 14 2013, 03:12 PM

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 14 2013, 03:34 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (WeePee @ Jan 14 2013, 02:03 PM) *
Good ! I forgot to ask have you been drawing lately cool.gif

EDIT:

Wow thank God Frank's apartment toilet is an old fashion style.

What would he do with this... biggrin.gif wink.gif

Really funking impressive Ben !!

Yeah Frank definitely resides in a crappy old place !! biggrin.gif

If he had one of those newer toilets I guess the only thing he could do is make sure it was polished so he could momentarily blind the other guy with the shininess of it !! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
Jan 14 2013, 03:39 PM
Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jan 14 2013, 06:34 PM) *
If he had one of those newer toilets I guess the only thing he could do is make sure it was polished so he could momentarily blind the other guy with the shininess of it !! biggrin.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Jan 14 2013, 07:28 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero

Kick ass comic... I'm hooked to see what happens next.

yeah, It wouldn't be fitting for Frank to have a fancy toilet like that. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:02 PM