5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Are You Making Music?
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 19 2014, 03:38 PM
Instructor
Hello guys! I decided to start a thread where I invite you to answer a very simple question that has two possible answers: yes or no, and for each answer I have a second question, so here we go:

ARE YOU MAKING MUSIC?

1. If the answer is NO, please tell me the reasons.

2. If the answer is YES, please tell us what you are composing.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dcz702
Apr 19 2014, 10:18 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 19 2014, 02:38 PM) *
Hello guys! I decided to start a thread where I invite you to answer a very simple question that has two possible answers: yes or no, and for each answer I have a second question, so here we go:

ARE YOU MAKING MUSIC?

1. If the answer is NO, please tell me the reasons.

2. If the answer is YES, please tell us what you are composing.

At this time no. I've been so caught up In practice And trying to get down new technique I'm practicing at least 2-3 hours a day some days more but I make sure I have at least a couple hours everyday.
I want to compose but right now it seems there is so much for me to learn that I don't know how to spread out my time. When I start to write a tune I can spend hours on something simple. When I'm practicing something challenging to me I spend a lot of time on it and before I know it I've been playing for hours. Right now I'm working on some atreyu solos, Darius's alternate picking workout, I feel I really need that skill of fast even picking in my arsenal. And cosmins metal metrics 1 along with several of your lessons. And I want to be able to play these clean and understNd what I'm playing and that's really taking up all my practice time right now.
But ultimately the goal is the write.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by dcz702: Apr 19 2014, 10:19 PM

+Quote Post
bleez
Apr 19 2014, 11:28 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Im always playing around with riffs and song ideas. Id really like to do a lot more of that in the future. For now I tend to come up with half songs which mostly I can never seem to totally finish. The stuff Im working on just now is some fuzzy stoner rock and some slightly less fuzzy rocker type stuff smile.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Socky42
Apr 20 2014, 03:38 AM
GMC:er
https://soundcloud.com/socky42/test

Finished writing it a while back, problem is, I wrote one of the solos in guitar pro and I can't play it. laugh.gif

Hopefully I can nail it within a couple of weeks, been wanting to record an EP for nearly a year now but keep running into problems like this.

Think there are any changes in the tab I can make to make it easier to play? Transitioning between bars 1 and 2 is pretty rough; and bar 5 is just hard to play cleanly with all the jumping around. I can play everything fine at 80-90% BPM, just got to get it up to speed.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dcz702
Apr 20 2014, 08:01 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Socky42 @ Apr 20 2014, 02:38 AM) *

Finished writing it a while back, problem is, I wrote one of the solos in guitar pro and I can't play it. laugh.gif

Hopefully I can nail it within a couple of weeks, been wanting to record an EP for nearly a year now but keep running into problems like this.

Think there are any changes in the tab I can make to make it easier to play? Transitioning between bars 1 and 2 is pretty rough; and bar 5 is just hard to play cleanly with all the jumping around. I can play everything fine at 80-90% BPM, just got to get it up to speed.

Lots of good stuff on you soundcloud socky smile.gif this solo on gp sounds great I look forward to hearing it when you got it down. Got any advice on playing that fast and clean. Right now I'm putting lots of work into some lessons on this and really play slow then a little faster each day is all I'm doing till it's up to speed. Can't wait to get there. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Opetholic
Apr 20 2014, 09:05 AM
Learning Guitar Lord
Interesting thread, curious to see what people say. For me the answer is: No. There are 2 reasons why I am not making music:
1) I am not technically proficient enough to make my musical ideas come alive, i.e. I can't translate things that happen in my mind musically to playing them on my guitar..
2) I am not in a band or am not jamming with people..
But I still enjoy trying to learn songs from my favorite bands..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 20 2014, 04:50 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (dcz702 @ Apr 19 2014, 06:18 PM) *
At this time no. I've been so caught up In practice And trying to get down new technique I'm practicing at least 2-3 hours a day some days more but I make sure I have at least a couple hours everyday.
I want to compose but right now it seems there is so much for me to learn that I don't know how to spread out my time. When I start to write a tune I can spend hours on something simple. When I'm practicing something challenging to me I spend a lot of time on it and before I know it I've been playing for hours. Right now I'm working on some atreyu solos, Darius's alternate picking workout, I feel I really need that skill of fast even picking in my arsenal. And cosmins metal metrics 1 along with several of your lessons. And I want to be able to play these clean and understNd what I'm playing and that's really taking up all my practice time right now.
But ultimately the goal is the write.

Hi mate. This sounds good. You are very motivated and working hard on improving your playing and that's very important. But you don't have to forget the main reason after all. Expressing yourself, finding your voice (in this case as a guitarist) is something that can be tricky at first so I recommend you to dedicate some time to creation. No matter if you just compose a short idea, a riff, a chord progression but take your musical time and dedicate at least 20/30 minutes to composition. It can even be when you are not playing guitar, you can be traveling to your job. Take a look around and try to imagine melodies, riffs, musical ideas that reflect how you feel or what the things are telling to you.

It would be cool if you take a look at this two threads:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=51864

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=51869

QUOTE (bleez @ Apr 19 2014, 07:28 PM) *
Im always playing around with riffs and song ideas. Id really like to do a lot more of that in the future. For now I tend to come up with half songs which mostly I can never seem to totally finish. The stuff Im working on just now is some fuzzy stoner rock and some slightly less fuzzy rocker type stuff smile.gif

Cool! And why aren't we working on this at Gab's Army? smile.gif

QUOTE (Socky42 @ Apr 19 2014, 11:38 PM) *

This idea sounds killer man! It has a very good energy, it's powerful without losing melody. It's very promising! About the solo, it's good to create stuff that is still over your abilities, it's a good motivation to keep on improving your guitar playing. However, composing using Guitar Pro can make you create licks that aren't natural for you, so it would be good if you start practicing it and try different ways of playing the most difficult licks, in a way that you feel more comfortable.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Jeroen
Apr 20 2014, 04:53 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Yes, I'm composing a lot. Here is my newest

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 20 2014, 04:53 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Opetholic @ Apr 20 2014, 05:05 AM) *
1) I am not technically proficient enough to make my musical ideas come alive, i.e. I can't translate things that happen in my mind musically to playing them on my guitar..

If those ideas are clear, you could try translating them to guitar pro to then start practicing them on guitar.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
bleez
Apr 20 2014, 05:44 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 20 2014, 04:50 PM) *
Cool! And why aren't we working on this at Gab's Army? smile.gif

LOL! that's a very good question. I'll go and upload some fuzzy riffage there right now cool.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
verciazghra
Apr 20 2014, 07:52 PM
Yes. Latest: (WIP)
https://soundcloud.com/vercia/fading-perspectives-wip

--------------------
"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -Leonard Bernstein

"The only love affair I have ever had was with music." -Maurice Ravel

"There's no such place as dumb question." -Dose One

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 21 2014, 09:10 AM
Instructor
I started writing music too, after a long year of not feeling like it smile.gif Inspiration can come when you least expect it, but it's also a matter of how much time you spend focused on the idea of opening a door to the world for the music inside you. This year, I have decided to open many doors for the music that has grown inside me - I posted this a while ago, but here it is again smile.gif A draft of an instrumental idea I am working on..
https://soundcloud.com/cosmin-lupu/sad-theme-in-g-minor

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Apr 21 2014, 09:12 AM

+Quote Post
Opetholic
Apr 21 2014, 09:15 AM
Learning Guitar Lord
Wow Cosmin this was such a nice piece of music. Loved it.. The vibrations I get from this music resonates so well within..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spock
Apr 21 2014, 09:36 AM
For the past year and a half, yes - it has been my driving inspiration to have originals, at least ideas to have something to collaborate with others on. Now I have the 6 which I set as sort of a goal. I can't say they're finished, but nothing every is until you spend money recording them I think.

For the past 2-3 weeks since all my time has been put into refurbishing that guitar, my mindset has shifted to the point that I am ready to not write, but get back to learning the fundamentals. Start back where my instruction thread left off, and start on lessons to become a better more rounded player.

I think my composition skills have gotten better over the past year, my knowledge of how to set-up and record using my gear, understanding Logic, understanding the components of my set-up and putting together my dream set-up which is exactly what I wanted and hoped out of the time and experience, but I didn't really grow as an actual player either, yet, I felt what I've learned is equally as crucial.

Now, I want to learn how to shred but mostly, just how to improvise in a scale. Learn patterns and how to work around the fretboard - whether slow or fast, and it to make sense to me.

I get these self-imposed goals in my head, and become so focused and driven on them that I block everything out. Unfortunately, I can't mentally dictate what those goals are - they just pop in there and I sort of have to follow the path until I feel I have achieved them, then become obsessed with something else and go down that road.

When I joined this site back in December of 2012, I was on fire to learn the essentials, but I had just migrated from Garageband to Logic, and had 2 song ideas of the 6 I had set a goal to achieve. So I juggled between agendas.

Still this site is my favorite site, and it keeps what is important to me in the forefront of my thinking. And what is most important, even over having some great compositions and equipment, is knowing your instrument - first and foremost.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 21 2014, 08:38 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ Apr 20 2014, 01:44 PM) *
LOL! that's a very good question. I'll go and upload some fuzzy riffage there right now cool.gif

We are already working!! smile.gif

QUOTE (verciazghra @ Apr 20 2014, 03:52 PM) *

Wou! Great stuff! It sounds very fresh. Are you working on more sections for this one?

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 21 2014, 05:10 AM) *
I started writing music too, after a long year of not feeling like it smile.gif Inspiration can come when you least expect it, but it's also a matter of how much time you spend focused on the idea of opening a door to the world for the music inside you. This year, I have decided to open many doors for the music that has grown inside me - I posted this a while ago, but here it is again smile.gif A draft of an instrumental idea I am working on..
https://soundcloud.com/cosmin-lupu/sad-theme-in-g-minor

yeah! I remember this beautiful melody Cosmin. It sounds very relaxing and inspiring.

QUOTE (Spock @ Apr 21 2014, 05:36 AM) *
For the past year and a half, yes - it has been my driving inspiration to have originals, at least ideas to have something to collaborate with others on. Now I have the 6 which I set as sort of a goal. I can't say they're finished, but nothing every is until you spend money recording them I think.

For the past 2-3 weeks since all my time has been put into refurbishing that guitar, my mindset has shifted to the point that I am ready to not write, but get back to learning the fundamentals. Start back where my instruction thread left off, and start on lessons to become a better more rounded player.

I think my composition skills have gotten better over the past year, my knowledge of how to set-up and record using my gear, understanding Logic, understanding the components of my set-up and putting together my dream set-up which is exactly what I wanted and hoped out of the time and experience, but I didn't really grow as an actual player either, yet, I felt what I've learned is equally as crucial.

Now, I want to learn how to shred but mostly, just how to improvise in a scale. Learn patterns and how to work around the fretboard - whether slow or fast, and it to make sense to me.

I get these self-imposed goals in my head, and become so focused and driven on them that I block everything out. Unfortunately, I can't mentally dictate what those goals are - they just pop in there and I sort of have to follow the path until I feel I have achieved them, then become obsessed with something else and go down that road.

When I joined this site back in December of 2012, I was on fire to learn the essentials, but I had just migrated from Garageband to Logic, and had 2 song ideas of the 6 I had set a goal to achieve. So I juggled between agendas.

Still this site is my favorite site, and it keeps what is important to me in the forefront of my thinking. And what is most important, even over having some great compositions and equipment, is knowing your instrument - first and foremost.

Very interesting post Spock. Alternating between practice and composition is something that every musician with passion will do until his last days. It's good to find a good balance and don't become to obsessed with technique and practice because we would lose the focus of the most important thing that is creating music that is an expression of your spirit. Technique should be a tool but not a destiny.

I think that you are definitely on the right path. Remember that we are here ready to help you so just contact me and we can start some workout at my personal board. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
verciazghra
Apr 22 2014, 07:34 AM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 21 2014, 07:38 PM) *
Wou! Great stuff! It sounds very fresh. Are you working on more sections for this one?

I certainly am. Worked out 3-4 more sections that I'm planning to "prototype" for it. It's going fairly good and thanks for the nice words!

--------------------
"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -Leonard Bernstein

"The only love affair I have ever had was with music." -Maurice Ravel

"There's no such place as dumb question." -Dose One

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 22 2014, 02:49 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (verciazghra @ Apr 22 2014, 03:34 AM) *
I certainly am. Worked out 3-4 more sections that I'm planning to "prototype" for it. It's going fairly good and thanks for the nice words!

Interesting! Do you have some published music? What are your plans?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 22 2014, 03:45 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Spock @ Apr 21 2014, 08:36 AM) *

Hey mate smile.gif Out of what I can remember, your compositions were very, very nice and you had great arrangements and riffs.

The lead part needed some adjustments here and there, but nothing that can't be fixed - you know writing music is something you should do all the time, in order to get better and better at it. Needless to say, developing yourself as a player is equally as important smile.gif So, I would find a way to get them both rolling - I for one don't like to practice without being able to use what I have learned - each little thing that goes into my head and hands, must come out in a piece of music, otherwise, there is no need to learn it.

So, the process as I see it:

- figure out what you would like to hear in YOUR music
- learn the particular elements
- apply them in your music in a personal form

What say you?

+Quote Post
Spock
Apr 22 2014, 04:11 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 22 2014, 10:45 AM) *
Hey mate smile.gif Out of what I can remember, your compositions were very, very nice and you had great arrangements and riffs.

The lead part needed some adjustments here and there, but nothing that can't be fixed - you know writing music is something you should do all the time, in order to get better and better at it. Needless to say, developing yourself as a player is equally as important smile.gif So, I would find a way to get them both rolling - I for one don't like to practice without being able to use what I have learned - each little thing that goes into my head and hands, must come out in a piece of music, otherwise, there is no need to learn it.

So, the process as I see it:

- figure out what you would like to hear in YOUR music
- learn the particular elements
- apply them in your music in a personal form

What say you?

Yes, I agree with your process. I would be able to make myself happier writing if I were a better guitar player, and I feel now is the time to dedicate myself to becoming better by doing the "boring" stuff, slow patterns, scales; all the things that real guitarists understand and make work for them to create the music I can only dream of being able to create at this phase of my development. I can't do 4 hours a day, but I can do an hour to an hour and a half of playing, I split that time before and after work - then on the weekends I play with friends.

I want to prove to myself I can do it - and because it's been a life long dream, and I don't want to be 20 years older wishing I had taken the time and never did, especially on something that I love so much.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 22 2014, 04:51 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Spock @ Apr 22 2014, 03:11 PM) *
Yes, I agree with your process. I would be able to make myself happier writing if I were a better guitar player, and I feel now is the time to dedicate myself to becoming better by doing the "boring" stuff, slow patterns, scales; all the things that real guitarists understand and make work for them to create the music I can only dream of being able to create at this phase of my development. I can't do 4 hours a day, but I can do an hour to an hour and a half of playing, I split that time before and after work - then on the weekends I play with friends.

I want to prove to myself I can do it - and because it's been a life long dream, and I don't want to be 20 years older wishing I had taken the time and never did, especially on something that I love so much.

Balance, is the key to everything smile.gif But the music is in your head - never forget that all the 'boring stuff' is a way of preparing your body to be able to expose your mind and heart's work ... I see you have revived our old thread - I will go take a look smile.gif

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:16 PM