2 Pages V  < 1 2  
I Have Exams Today
OrganisedConfusi...
Jun 5 2008, 10:19 AM
GMC:er
I have my last exams ever next summer smile.gif Then I will have two masters degrees and be half way to my doctorate smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Moon Boots
Jun 5 2008, 10:34 AM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Jun 5 2008, 10:19 AM) *
I have my last exams ever next summer smile.gif Then I will have two masters degrees and be half way to my doctorate smile.gif

You must be very hard working! Hope it's all pays off a few years down the line smile.gif Can I ask what you've done your degrees in?

I've got my final computing A level exams in 3 hours. Thankfully I've done reasonably well in the earlier modules of the course so I only need to get 40% in this exam to get a C overall, so I should be fine.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Canis
Jun 5 2008, 10:37 AM
Learning Rock Star
I'm having my electronics exams at this very moment... It's going to hell tongue.gif I have no idea what a "PIC16F74" does....
And yet, I'm sitting here on GMC... tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jun 5 2008, 10:43 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Sorry OC - don't forget that for the PhD you are viva'ed - which is an oral examination of unspecified duration but usually between 2-4 hours and can go up to more then 8. (I'm a lazy git and cut my own defense to 1 hour 15 mins biggrin.gif so they can be pretty short as well cool.gif .)

Good news though, unlike some European countries you don't have to do a public defense of a PhD thesis in the UK smile.gif .

Not sure if you are equating a Masters as in some way equivalent to meeting part requirement of a PhD. They, imho - and that of PhD examiners I viva with - but this is opinion - do not. A PhD must meet criteria distinct from and to a Masters - including MPhils. Whilst a unsuccessful PhD may be awarded an MPhil classification something written as and for an MPhil is very unlikely to meet the requirement of a PhD however good it may be. It's a common misconception though - a lot of my Masters students believe that if they do a good dissertation then they'll be well on the road to a successful PhD. Oh I have fun relieving them of that fallacy rolleyes.gif .

Anyway good luck mate with both your Masters and the PhD.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jun 5 2008, 11:01 AM
QUOTE (Moon Boots @ Jun 5 2008, 10:34 AM) *
You must be very hard working! Hope it's all pays off a few years down the line smile.gif Can I ask what you've done your degrees in?

I've got my final computing A level exams in 3 hours. Thankfully I've done reasonably well in the earlier modules of the course so I only need to get 40% in this exam to get a C overall, so I should be fine.

I will have a Masters in Systems Engineering and a Masters in Computer Science. Pretty sad I know but it secures my future. I have a well paid phd compared to most. I get paid $36500 a year and don't have to pay tax because I'm still a lazy student lol smile.gif

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jun 5 2008, 10:43 AM) *
Sorry OC - don't forget that for the PhD you are viva'ed - which is an oral examination of unspecified duration but usually between 2-4 hours and can go up to more then 8. (I'm a lazy git and cut my own defense to 1 hour 15 mins biggrin.gif so they can be pretty short as well cool.gif .)

Good news though, unlike some European countries you don't have to do a public defense of a PhD thesis in the UK smile.gif .

Not sure if you are equating a Masters as in some way equivalent to meeting part requirement of a PhD. They, imho - and that of PhD examiners I viva with - but this is opinion - do not. A PhD must meet criteria distinct from and to a Masters - including MPhils. Whilst a unsuccessful PhD may be awarded an MPhil classification something written as and for an MPhil is very unlikely to meet the requirement of a PhD however good it may be. It's a common misconception though - a lot of my Masters students believe that if they do a good dissertation then they'll be well on the road to a successful PhD. Oh I have fun relieving them of that fallacy rolleyes.gif .

Anyway good luck mate with both your Masters and the PhD.

Cheers,
Tony

I have 2 Vivas as well lol. I try and forget about them smile.gif Mine is different to a phd anyway. I'm doing an Eng D with the first year earning me a Masters in Computer Science as we have a year of lectures and then the 3 year phd. So basically I will have done 5 years to get my Masters in Systems Engineering and Diploma in Industry. 2 and a bit years for Masters in Computer Science and 3 years to get my Eng D doctorate which is a special Engineering Doctorate.

I'll be 27 when I finish lol biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by OrganisedConfusion: Jun 5 2008, 11:03 AM

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic

+Quote Post
Moon Boots
Jun 5 2008, 12:29 PM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Jun 5 2008, 11:01 AM) *
I will have a Masters in Systems Engineering and a Masters in Computer Science. Pretty sad I know but it secures my future. I have a well paid phd compared to most. I get paid $36500 a year and don't have to pay tax because I'm still a lazy student lol smile.gif

Nice. I've applied to do a Computer Science (Bsc) next year at Kingston uni which may well lead me down a similar path to you. I'm getting £15000 a year for uni but I've got to pay it back once I start earning sad.gif Hopefully house prices will have dropped a lot by the time I finish my degree!

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jun 5 2008, 12:31 PM
Lets go fishing!

Im studying through the Open Univeristy at the moment. Its petty tough alot of the time, but its also fun smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jun 5 2008, 12:32 PM
QUOTE (Moon Boots @ Jun 5 2008, 12:29 PM) *
Nice. I've applied to do a Computer Science (Bsc) next year at Kingston uni which may well lead me down a similar path to you. I'm getting £15000 a year for uni but I've got to pay it back once I start earning sad.gif Hopefully house prices will have dropped a lot by the time I finish my degree!

Good luck with that man. University is awesome smile.gif And yeah, I can't afford a house for another year or two yet sad.gif Still renting but it isn't too bad.

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
Jad Diab
Jun 6 2008, 11:08 PM
Instructor (former GMCer Zizi Top)
I finished my Exams, I'm Officially on Vacation smile.gif Doesn't that rocks smile.gif

--------------------
I endorse Sp custom pickups

Check out some of my work :
Youtube
GMC lessons
Myspace

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:22 PM