2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Single Vs Lp
Ben Higgins
Jun 6 2012, 11:36 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Jun 6 2012, 09:37 AM) *
Since we have discussed the artistic merits of releasing singles, one very important issue that can't be overlooked is the actual logistics of listening to music. Over the past couple of decades it has changed drastically, especially from the time when it was a laborious task.

Before the MP3 became mainstream, changing songs on a playback device such as a record, tape or CD player was a relatively arduous task, especially compared to an MP3. You would have to get up, walk over to the stereo, select a new album, stop the tape, eject it, put it back in its box, get a new tape, put it in the tape deck, and fast forward or rewind to the song you wanted. You literally had to work for your song. With an MP3, one click and you're playing a different song on a different album.

A hipster doofus back in the 80's couldn't be bothered changing songs. And why should he be? He was content just lounging on the couch, high as a kite, with one hand in a bag of cheese puffs and the other readjusting his man equipment. Listening to the next song instead of waddling over the stereo just made more sense laugh.gif

What I'm getting at is this: The listeners attention span has changed drastically. If they're not captivated by a song, BOOM! Next artist. People no longer listen to a song they don't instantly like over and over. Many songs deserve a second listening. Some of my favorite songs were ones I previously hated, but after listening to them a few times they grew on me.

We live in a disposable age, where everything can be thrown away and easily and cheaply replaced.

I agree with all this.

I'll be honest. I think it sucks. people's attention span has plummeted but oh well. rolleyes.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:59 PM