How To Control Your Vibrato
Ben Higgins
Dec 17 2011, 11:27 AM
Instructor
Hi Guys, I'd just like to talk about something you can do that will help with your vibrato. Let's break vibrato down and see what it really is:

It's basically a series of bends played one after the other continuously which gives that oscillating, vibrating effect. So, all we're really doing is bending a string out of pitch to gain a desired effect.

Everbody may perform vibrato slightly differently and there are different ways of playing it but I'm taking mainly about the 'up, down' motion which is the most common.

If you slow things down and treat vibrato the same way as bending a string, then you can practice bending to different intervals. Pick a note on the D or G string, say the 5th or 7th fret. Bend it up 1 semitone, then release it back to the original pitch. This is where many people have difficult with vibrato because they forget to release the string back to it's original pitch and so the vibrato can sound out of tune.

So, practice bending up to the desired interval, releasing back tp pitch, then doing it again. Do it a few times in a row without stopping and see if you can keep hitting the intervals accuractely, paying special attention to the original pitch of the note that you are fretting.

Try it with a whole tone as well.. eventually, try it with a whole tone and a half. If you bend to the these intervals with control, then you will be able to perform wide vibrato because that's all vibrato is.. a series of bends. smile.gif

Another thing I recommend is to perform all vibrato on strings from the low E to the G string in a downward motion, towards the floor, instead of pushing upwards. You get more control this way. For the B and high E, if you want a wide, purposeful vibrato you'll have to push upwards because if you try to push downwards you'll fall off the neck wink.gif Just like the way we bend strings ! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 17 2011, 12:08 PM
Instructor
A fine seminar we've got here!! wink.gif Listen to Higgins San if you want to undulate like the snake on the guitar neck!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 17 2011, 05:44 PM
Instructor
I also think it's pretty important to be completely aware and conscious of the note, without any vibrato or bend, because that's the "axis" note, where every bend or vibrato move comes back to,

This will help to make you sound more in tune

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 18 2011, 02:52 AM
Instructor
Excellent explanation and exercises! This will really help beginner players to start using and mastering this important technique.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Dec 18 2011, 07:23 AM
Instructor
When I was learning vibrato I used metronome
So basically you set it up at 90 bpm and vibrate string up and down every click
Vibrato is a big part of the style it takes some time to get it but once you have it you will keep it forever!!!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 19 2011, 11:27 AM
Instructor
Very wise words, this method should definitely be useful for all who want to push bending/vibrato to new levels. Not only that practicing these techniques helps in achieving better expression skills, but it also upgrades your tone quite a bit. While you practice bending/vibrato, you learn to create more fuller tone, because you go through fretting of a note in more detail.

If I may to add, here's a small video I did couple of years ago (download response.rar), it was response to Toroso's question about bends and practicing bends and vibratos. This method can help you create your own practicing technique.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Dec 19 2011, 11:27 AM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:58 PM