Ola's Quick And Dirty Neck/setup
Todd Simpson
Jul 21 2020, 04:22 AM
GMC:er

If you have never touched your truss rod, there is a first time for everything. Here is a quick and dirty tutorial on getting rid of dead notes using the truss rod and bridge. He has an ever tune on this unit so he is adjusting string height using the lifters on the ever tune. It's similar to raising the saddles on a strat per string. On a floyd rose, you'd have to adjust the height of the deck of the floyd to increase string height typically. It's a very simple approach he is using here, but it's a great introduction to setting the "relief" on your guitar neck.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jul 30 2020, 10:49 AM
Whilst I'm all in favour of people having a go themselves it seems that every video I see along these lines omit one vital piece of information, which is this:-
Make sure that the Nut Slots are cut correctly! If they're not you will never get the perfect set-up. With Neck relief, without Neck relief? Irrelevant if the Nut is not cut properly.
Still, with all the bad info out there it keeps people like me in work!!!
laugh.gif laugh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 30 2020, 01:28 PM
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Jul 30 2020, 09:49 AM) *

+10000

Might be a bit bold claim but if one want the comfort of a high-end guitar, all he/she has to do is get a detailed nut hight adjustment smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jul 30 2020, 04:55 PM
QUOTE (Mertay @ Jul 30 2020, 01:28 PM) *
+10000

Might be a bit bold claim but if one want the comfort of a high-end guitar, all he/she has to do is get a detailed nut hight adjustment smile.gif

Exactly Mertay, it can make a huge difference!!!
I understand why Ola doesn't mention it in this Vid due to it being one of his own brand guitars and they are finished very well from his manufacturer!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 31 2020, 05:33 AM
I would certainly hope!!! I have not seen many folks complaining about the nut on the Solar series so I"m guessing they are pretty good. The interwebs are not quiet about saying what's wrong with a given instrument. It's very easy for a brand to get a very bad reputation very quickly. probably why Ola goes to the factory to play his new guitars before they go out.

QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Jul 30 2020, 11:55 AM) *
Exactly Mertay, it can make a huge difference!!!
I understand why Ola doesn't mention it in this Vid due to it being one of his own brand guitars and they are finished very well from his manufacturer!

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jul 31 2020, 11:01 AM
Very good points Todd! I can speak first hand about them as quite recently I did some set up work on 3 of them for a customer, 2 Sevens and a Six. i was very impressed with them, I've worked on higher priced instruments that left their respective factories in nowhere near as good a state!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 1 2020, 04:04 PM
I've been a bit shocked that some instruments with prices over 2k, make their way out of the factory in less than great condition. I know these factories push to get units built quickly, but as harsh as the interwebs are, getting a good fit and finish on a guitar seems like a crucial matter these days. Next thing you know, somebody is in a forum talking about how crap a given guitar that costs 2k or more is, or making a video about the same idea. Ola saw what happened with STRICTLY7 GUITARS when they picked up production rate and the Keith Merrow Signature guitars sorta fell apart, and pix were shared on seven string.org.

QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Jul 31 2020, 06:01 AM) *
Very good points Todd! I can speak first hand about them as quite recently I did some set up work on 3 of them for a customer, 2 Sevens and a Six. i was very impressed with them, I've worked on higher priced instruments that left their respective factories in nowhere near as good a state!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:41 AM