New Guitar, 1958 Gibson Custom Les Paul
-Zion-
Jun 4 2008, 01:20 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi everyone

I have begun playing the guitar again after a 10 year break. I am getting very very serious about it, and i spend quite a lot of time with my guitar. I play soft/hard Rock and some blues.

At the moment i have a homemade flying-V, which i got from my fathers friend who made it himself. Now this is the same guitar that he used back in the late 70's, and it is actually quite a nice guitar. However practicing with it everyday it's not possible for me to stand with it for several hours a day, and its not really a guitar you can sit with.
Besides that i dont think the guitar sound incredibly good anymore, although i do think some adjustments to the bridge and/or pickups could make it better, however not perfect. I think some new pickups might be needed for that. i dont know. it's just not "clean" anymore in the 13-22 frets. Sometimes i think it sounds like crap, other times it great with a lot of distortion. haha.. wink.gif Besides that i really want something that's "mine", although i'll never ever get rid of the flying-V.

I am going to San Francisco late summer, and now i am thinking about buying myself a brand new guitar. My all time favorite. The guitar i thought i would never get, is now actually within reach. The Les Paul. A real Gibson.

Since i have become so serious with the guitar playing, i want to buy something really nice. A really fantastic guitar that will go with me into my grave.

So i have been browsing GuitarCenter online shop for the Les Paul and i have found this one.
The 1958 Gibson Les Paul Standard Vintage Original Spec Series

Why this one? Well, keep in mind i dont know how it sounds, how it feels or anything yet. But this is the reasons i am currently looking at this one and i am really psyched about this one.. smile.gif

• The flying-V i have, has a really thin neck, so i think that the 50's neck on the les paul really will make a difference.
  • The neck has a long tenon, which i honestly think will not only make it more sturdy but will make it sound better because there's just more wood touching the body.
  • The BurstBucker pickups. i have heard many people speaking very nice of these pickups.
  • Its the original specs used.
  • Vintage trapezoid.. aaah.. i love the trapezoids.. smile.gif
  • I save almost 2000 USD buying it in the US compared to Denmark and Sweden.
  • When i buy something, i might as well buy something really good and solid that will last forever.
  • A guitar like this is an investment.. whatever the price on such a guitar you will most likely never loose any money on it.

So i guess my questions are.
Do any of you guys know or have played on this guitar? Is the guitar worth it even though i save around 2000 USD?
Do you have any suggestions on how to try it out in the store?

i probably have more questions but i cant remember at the moment.

Thank you all in advance,
-Zion-

edit: added investment thing to the list.. wink.gif

edit2: btw, do you guys know whether or not GuitarCenter have the guitars at their shops? i mean, im only in San Francisco for at limited time, and would hate it if they had to order it somewhere first.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by -Zion-: Jun 4 2008, 01:51 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Moon Boots
Jun 4 2008, 01:34 PM
GMC:er
I would kill for that guitar smile.gif But I would definatly advise trying out some cheaper gibsons in store because $3400 is a lot of money and in my experience once you pass the $2000 mark guitars don't vary all that much. You'd save almost $1500 by getting this for example. Burstbucker pickups are around $200, so I wouldn't recommend paying all that extra just for the pickups.

So try a few out, and if the you think the more expensive gibson if worth all the extra money then go for it. You'll have yourself a dream guitar biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Jun 4 2008, 01:48 PM
Learning Roadie
Thank you for your input Moon Boots.

I was actually looking at that one first, but i have been playing a lot on my flying-v and i seriously believe that the thicker 50's rounded neck is more suitable for me. However, i wont know till i actually try it.

Since i've been looking at 58 Custom Vintage model, i am also prepared to pay around that price.

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jun 4 2008, 01:59 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
I want that Gibson too wub.gif

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Jun 4 2008, 02:26 PM
Instructor
if u can buy 2 gibson.... and send me one! hahahaha! cool.gif
amazing guitar man!

+Quote Post
Old School Rocke...
Jun 4 2008, 03:54 PM
Wow That guitar is Just Amazing, It has Jimmy Page all over it Wow... Im in you same position man so let me know how that guitar goes A Les Paul to me is like the holy grail I dont have one but one day I will. I'm only 19 and im going to colledge so my cashflow isnt what it needs to be in order for me to buy a Les Paul of that greatness but I'd like a Studio.

Anyway Back on topic I do Agree with MoonBoots to a point, its just that its a Vintage Original Specs, thats enough for me, Theres just something about plaing a Guitar type that Jimmy Page Used, And that slim Neck sounds killer.

But really I cant have a solid oppinion on this guitar since I havent tried it, I think thats useually the deciding factor when buying guitars for me, Try it Then Buy it.

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Jun 4 2008, 04:28 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
nice man

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
FrankW
Jun 4 2008, 06:13 PM
I said it before, and I'll say it again...Gibson is way too proud of their guitars! 3400 is too much money for what is basically a Les Paul Standard. Get one of those instead for a little over 2000, which, to me, is still too much. Don't buy into the 'original spec' nonsense...it's just a Standard.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 4 2008, 08:20 PM
Instructor
Nice guitar man, definitely an investment, it is not a standard Gibson, so the price will get higher. Not much higher but a little higher.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
FrankW
Jun 4 2008, 08:46 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jun 4 2008, 08:20 PM) *
Nice guitar man, definitely an investment, it is not a standard Gibson, so the price will get higher. Not much higher but a little higher.

Ivan, you misunderstand what I'm saying. This particular model is a Les Paul Standard. I've owned three of them. What Gibson is doing is marketing a Standard with 1958 specifications, and jacking up the price by over 1200 dollars retail. Go to the Guitar Center website, and look on page 2 of the Gibson guitar section. There is a Les Paul Standard w/50's neck for 2299. It has a 2a figured top, and the 'original spec' guitar has a plain top. These are both Standards. But, for over 1200 dollars less, you can get one with a prettier top, that doesn't happen to be 'original spec'! Don't buy into what Gibson is doing with alot of their 'signature' guitars, unless you are a collector. We only perpetuate the rise in prices of guitars if we are willing to shell out the money. An educated consumer is a smart consumer. I don't support Gibson anymore because of this nonsense. I'm not trying to be a smartass, I'm trying to educate those who don't know, so they don't shell out too much money. Just trying to help...

+Quote Post
Fran
Jun 4 2008, 08:46 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
It's a niceguitar for sure, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra cash over a Standard LP. Check Gibson site I believe last time I checked the Standards came with burstbuckers too. But the 490R and 498T are awesome pickups too... the supreme LP model has 490 R and 498T and are more expensive than the 1958 model LP, go figure... matter of taste I guess.

Make sure you try as many LP models as possible before you decide, that way you will know if it's really worth it.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Jun 7 2008, 06:23 PM
Learning Roadie
thank you all for your advice..

Much appreciated

+Quote Post
sidewas lightnin...
Jun 7 2008, 07:39 PM
awesome guitar, but if i were you...

ah, heck. i dont know. because if i had that kind of money spare to spend on guitars, im in my bed dreaming still. smile.gif

--------------------
I spelled my username wrong...I didn't even think that was possible!

Look at the topic for my guitar...
Finished Guitar Build

Gear:
Homemade strat (You still need to look at its topic!)
Squier strat (probably going to get rid of it and get another guitar instead) :)
Line 6 spider amp (not actually used for anything, just acts as a speaker)
Digitech Gnx2 (kind of old, but cheap, and sounds amazing!)

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 7 2008, 09:00 PM
Instructor
I didn't say nothing against your claim man - I agree with you. Didn't know that the price was that much higher. I would never buy such expensive upgraded standard guitar. I only stated that the price of this guitar will rise MORE than the price of a standard Gibson because it is somewhat bound to be a collectors item someday (and considering the price even now as you said! smile.gif ). I said it will get higher but not MUCH higher. If you put 2+2 you'll know what I mean. wink.gif

QUOTE (FrankW @ Jun 4 2008, 09:46 PM) *
Ivan, you misunderstand what I'm saying. This particular model is a Les Paul Standard. I've owned three of them. What Gibson is doing is marketing a Standard with 1958 specifications, and jacking up the price by over 1200 dollars retail. Go to the Guitar Center website, and look on page 2 of the Gibson guitar section. There is a Les Paul Standard w/50's neck for 2299. It has a 2a figured top, and the 'original spec' guitar has a plain top. These are both Standards. But, for over 1200 dollars less, you can get one with a prettier top, that doesn't happen to be 'original spec'! Don't buy into what Gibson is doing with alot of their 'signature' guitars, unless you are a collector. We only perpetuate the rise in prices of guitars if we are willing to shell out the money. An educated consumer is a smart consumer. I don't support Gibson anymore because of this nonsense. I'm not trying to be a smartass, I'm trying to educate those who don't know, so they don't shell out too much money. Just trying to help...

--------------------

+Quote Post
FrankW
Jun 7 2008, 10:33 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jun 7 2008, 09:00 PM) *
I didn't say nothing against your claim man - I agree with you. Didn't know that the price was that much higher. I would never buy such expensive upgraded standard guitar. I only stated that the price of this guitar will rise MORE than the price of a standard Gibson because it is somewhat bound to be a collectors item someday (and considering the price even now as you said! smile.gif ). I said it will get higher but not MUCH higher. If you put 2+2 you'll know what I mean. wink.gif

Ivan, as you probably know by now, it's sometimes hard for me to put 2 and 2 together. We're on the same page, my friend.

+Quote Post
Strungout180
Jun 8 2008, 04:51 AM
QUOTE (FrankW @ Jun 4 2008, 01:13 PM) *
I said it before, and I'll say it again...Gibson is way too proud of their guitars! 3400 is too much money for what is basically a Les Paul Standard. Get one of those instead for a little over 2000, which, to me, is still too much. Don't buy into the 'original spec' nonsense...it's just a Standard.

Well I agree that the VOS series are overpriced, id have to say that they're not the same as the Gibson Les Paul Standards.

First they're made at the Gibson custom shop and are hand made, unlike the standards which are mass produced. They also use higher quality woods, the necks have long neck tenons, I believe that the bodies aren't chambered like the Standards also.

There are a lot of other differences but I those are some of the main ones that I can think of off the top of my head.

--------------------
Electrics: Epiphone Japanese Les Paul Standard • Squire MIM Stratocaster/w. Texas Specials • Fender Robert Cray Standard

Acoustics: Takamine EG540 • Art & Lutherie Folk Cedar

Amps: Blackheart 5w/3w Little Giant

Effects: Boss SD-1 • Holy Grail Reverb • MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive • Boss DD3 Digital Delay • Crybaby Wah

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 8 2008, 04:29 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (FrankW @ Jun 7 2008, 11:33 PM) *
Ivan, as you probably know by now, it's sometimes hard for me to put 2 and 2 together. We're on the same page, my friend.

no worries man, I sometimes forget how much 2 and 2 is in general. Cheers smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Danilo Capezzuto
Jun 8 2008, 05:21 PM
Instructor
Really nice guitar mate. I wanna a gibson!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Jun 8 2008, 09:11 PM
its a nice guitar.. but im afraid i think gibsons are hype, i would never pay over 2000 for a guitar...

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Pablo Vazquez
Jun 8 2008, 10:41 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Danilo Capezzuto @ Jun 8 2008, 01:21 PM) *
Really nice guitar mate. I wanna a gibson!

Yeah! Great guitar! ...and I want one too!!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:53 AM