2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Scales And Shredding, Lost in the scale maze
jammer91
Oct 17 2007, 01:00 AM
GMC:er
Ive been playing guitar for 2 years and i barely know any scales (only 2 boxes of the pentatonic scale in the key of A).

The main reason i want to learn scales is to be able to shred fast and solo like this kid here....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsPddA6VJi4

Now im not really sure how to use scales, practice and play em.

Have no idea about the scale rules (like if we have to always stick to a key in a song, when can we switch modes etc)

Please help me (by posting links to lessons and explaining this complex stuff in a 2+2 format). I mainly want to be able to shred fast using scales.

Thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 10 2007, 12:27 AM) *
Part of the key to success is to never call yourself good...

My RIg:
-Epiphone 1967 FLying V
-Line 6 POD XT live
-VOX Valvetronics AD30VT
-Yamaha EG-112
-Yamaha GA-10
-Some Yamaha acoustic which is a magnet to dust under my bed

End World Hunger
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Oct 17 2007, 01:10 AM
Moderation Policy Director
To answer some of the theory questions, you could start here, then check out my various lessons on individual scales, the index is here.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
steve25
Oct 17 2007, 01:12 AM
I haven't mastered scales yet but really want to get there, however i will tell you what i know.

So you know 2 boxes in the pentatonic A? There are 5 to learn. I can give you a resource for scales if you like but anyway, each of those boxes will have at least 1 root note, most have 2 or 3. A root note is the starting note that defines what key you are in. No let's take the A minor pent box that starts on the 5th fret E. That fret is an A note therefore if you were to start your scale on that note you would be playing in the key of A. If you started on the 8th fret E, that wouldn't be in the key of A minor anymore, even though that note is still a part of the A minor scale. Instead that would be in the key of C, so you would have to play your C scales instead. But at the moment you don't know any so don't worry just yet. To be able to play in a key up and down the fretboard you have to 'link' your 5 boxes together. See Kris' lesson on this which is here at GMC.

Now about different keys. I found understanding this part helps if you are comfortable with power chords and stuff. You know that 5th fret E is A, well if you move it up 1 fret onto the 6th you have A# don't you? So if you played the exact same scale box on the 6th fret you would be playing in the key of A#. Move it 2 places down from the 6th and you're now playing in G#. Make sense? But of course there are 5 boxes and remember there are different root notes, so you're not limited to always having to start in the same spot every single time. Think of the boxes as shapes as well all of them follow on from each other. Hope this helped a bit

+Quote Post
jammer91
Oct 17 2007, 01:17 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Oct 17 2007, 04:10 AM) *
To answer some of the theory questions, you could start here, then check out my various lessons on individual scales, the index is here.

Thanks Andrew, but i still have a question.

Lets say i want to use the licks in this lesson to improvise:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yZA4CkEbjY

1-I pick any scale in any key and choose any mode
2-Then i just place the licks in any frets in that scale/mode

Am i right till here?

Now heres the part which i dont get. Each note in the lick are intervals apart (example one or two frets). Now if i move the lick up and down a scale, sometimes the lick wont fit into a box (if i was to use my first and second finger i might have to use my first and third finger because theres a gap in the scale boxes). How do i adapt to these situations?

--------------------

My RIg:
-Epiphone 1967 FLying V
-Line 6 POD XT live
-VOX Valvetronics AD30VT
-Yamaha EG-112
-Yamaha GA-10

End World Hunger

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Oct 17 2007, 01:23 AM
QUOTE (jammer91 @ Oct 16 2007, 08:17 PM) *
Thanks Andrew, but i still have a question.

Lets say i want to use the licks in this lesson to improvise:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yZA4CkEbjY

1-I pick any scale in any key and choose any mode
2-Then i just place the licks in any frets in that scale/mode

Am i right till here?

That sounds right ...

QUOTE (jammer91 @ Oct 16 2007, 08:17 PM) *
Now heres the part which i dont get. Each note in the lick are intervals apart (example one or two frets). Now if i move the lick up and down a scale, sometimes the lick wont fit into a box (if i was to use my first and second finger i might have to use my first and third finger because theres a gap in the scale boxes). How do i adapt to these situations?

By knowing the scales! If you are fitting licks into a scale and want to move them around, your scale training will allow you to adapt the links without thinking about it because you know the sequence and relation of notes in that particular scale.

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
jammer91
Oct 17 2007, 01:32 AM
QUOTE (steve25 @ Oct 17 2007, 04:12 AM) *
I haven't mastered scales yet but really want to get there, however i will tell you what i know.

So you know 2 boxes in the pentatonic A? There are 5 to learn. I can give you a resource for scales if you like but anyway, each of those boxes will have at least 1 root note, most have 2 or 3. A root note is the starting note that defines what key you are in. No let's take the A minor pent box that starts on the 5th fret E. That fret is an A note therefore if you were to start your scale on that note you would be playing in the key of A. If you started on the 8th fret E, that wouldn't be in the key of A minor anymore, even though that note is still a part of the A minor scale. Instead that would be in the key of C, so you would have to play your C scales instead. But at the moment you don't know any so don't worry just yet. To be able to play in a key up and down the fretboard you have to 'link' your 5 boxes together. See Kris' lesson on this which is here at GMC.

Now about different keys. I found understanding this part helps if you are comfortable with power chords and stuff. You know that 5th fret E is A, well if you move it up 1 fret onto the 6th you have A# don't you? So if you played the exact same scale box on the 6th fret you would be playing in the key of A#. Move it 2 places down from the 6th and you're now playing in G#. Make sense? But of course there are 5 boxes and remember there are different root notes, so you're not limited to always having to start in the same spot every single time. Think of the boxes as shapes as well all of them follow on from each other. Hope this helped a bit

Does that mean all the minor pentatonic scale in each segment of the fretboard are of the same shape? (like the the second pentatonic box of A the same as the pentatonic box as C, but only the root notes are located in different parts)?

In your second paragrapgh did you mean to say that if i follow the A minor pentatonic box shape (the one that starts on 5th fret), but start playning on the 8th fret and follow the exact box shape of Am pentatonic i would be playing in the key of the 8th fret minor penta?

To me it does not make much sense (i think i understood it wrong). I though the box shape chages from key to key and different parts of the fret board.

I understood you first paragraph crystal clear and it really helped a lot.

This post has been edited by jammer91: Oct 17 2007, 01:35 AM

--------------------

My RIg:
-Epiphone 1967 FLying V
-Line 6 POD XT live
-VOX Valvetronics AD30VT
-Yamaha EG-112
-Yamaha GA-10

End World Hunger

+Quote Post
steve25
Oct 17 2007, 01:47 AM
Sorry for confusing you on the second paragraph. What i mean is if you take that Am shape that you play on the 5th fret which goes like this:

E---------------------------------5--8--5-------------------------------
B---------------------------5--8----------8--5-------------------------
G---------------------5--7----------------------7--5-------------------
D---------------5--7----------------------------------7--5-------------
A---------5--7----------------------------------------------7--5-------
E---5--8----------------------------------------------------------8--5-

You can move that shape up and down to change key. Now all the boxes are different 'shapes' i'm just using this one as an example as it's the most popular. so if you moved it up to the 8th fret it wouldn't be Am anymore it would be Cm.

Frets on E string and keys
1-F
2-F#
3-G
4-G#
5-A
6-A#
7-B
8-C
9-C#
10-D
11-D#
12-E

Hope that made a bit more sense

This post has been edited by steve25: Oct 17 2007, 01:48 AM

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Oct 17 2007, 01:48 AM
QUOTE (jammer91 @ Oct 16 2007, 08:32 PM) *
Does that mean all the minor pentatonic scale in each segment of the fretboard are of the same shape? (like the the second pentatonic box of A the same as the pentatonic box as C, but only the root notes are located in different parts)?

Absolutely!

QUOTE (jammer91 @ Oct 16 2007, 08:32 PM) *
In your second paragrapgh did you mean to say that if i follow the A minor pentatonic box shape (the one that starts on 5th fret), but start playning on the 8th fret and follow the exact box shape of Am pentatonic i would be playing in the key of the 8th fret minor penta?

To me it does not make much sense (i think i understood it wrong). I though the box shape chages from key to key and different parts of the fret board.

I understood you first paragraph crystal clear and it really helped a lot.

If you play an A minor pentatonic, 1st box, the first note you play is on the E string 5th fret - a note of A, and also your root note.

If you slide everything up 3 frets, your root note will be C (E string 8th fret). If you now play exactly the same shape as you played for A minor pentatonic, but with each note up 3 frets, you will be playing a scale of C minor Pentatonic.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
jammer91
Oct 17 2007, 01:56 AM
I sorta get it now.

So does that mean all the pentatonic minor scale boxes look exactly the same shape but with different root notes? (then what about those gaps? Does that mean you cant start on those notes?) ohmy.gif

Thanks a lot for helping steve and Andrew smile.gif . Its as if im pouring my doubts on to your heads and making things complex. Ive never been able to understand this stuff and have learn't a lot now, but still not fully sure.

--------------------

My RIg:
-Epiphone 1967 FLying V
-Line 6 POD XT live
-VOX Valvetronics AD30VT
-Yamaha EG-112
-Yamaha GA-10

End World Hunger

+Quote Post
steve25
Oct 17 2007, 01:59 AM
No worries i had LOADS of problems with scales and i still kind of have some but i'm just telling you what i've learnt about them smile.gif. Absolutely the 'shapes' never change, it's just where you start them. Now learning scales and improvising is different but you have to start with this to be able to improvise so worry about that later, for now learn your scales. Try and learn you boxes and link them together to complete the set as i call it tongue.gif

This post has been edited by steve25: Oct 17 2007, 01:59 AM

+Quote Post
jammer91
Oct 17 2007, 02:06 AM
Now i get it (i think).

I went through andrews minor penta lesson (thx a lot for it man) and this is what i found bout key changing:
The root note A is 2 semitones up from G, so just move each of these patterns up 2 frets and voila, you have patterns for A minor pentatonic.

So you just slide each pattern to start at the key you want. That makes it confusing to visualize...
Is there any site or resouce which has the minor penta moved for all keys?

Thanks a million guys, i feel relieved of my scale burden....

So now i just memorise the scales and play as many licks as i can on them starting from a root note. What happens when i mix licks (do i have to start at the root notes of different positions of the scale boxes?)

--------------------

My RIg:
-Epiphone 1967 FLying V
-Line 6 POD XT live
-VOX Valvetronics AD30VT
-Yamaha EG-112
-Yamaha GA-10

End World Hunger

+Quote Post
Robin
Oct 17 2007, 02:16 AM
QUOTE (jammer91 @ Oct 17 2007, 01:06 AM) *

You mean like this? http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_sc...or&get2=Get

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Oct 17 2007, 02:18 AM
QUOTE (jammer91 @ Oct 16 2007, 09:06 PM) *
Now i get it (i think).

I went through andrews minor penta lesson (thx a lot for it man) and this is what i found bout key changing:
The root note A is 2 semitones up from G, so just move each of these patterns up 2 frets and voila, you have patterns for A minor pentatonic.

So you just slide each pattern to start at the key you want. That makes it confusing to visualize...

Thanks a million guys, i feel relieved of my scale burden....

So now i just memorise the scales and play as many licks as i can on them starting from a root note. What happens when i mix licks (do i have to start at the root notes of different positions of the scale boxes?)

You don't have to be nailed to the root notes - different licks start on different notes within the scale. In fact, you should be able to play any lick in any box eventually, although due to bending and such, different licks will work better in different boxes.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Oct 20 2007, 12:28 AM
QUOTE (jammer91 @ Oct 16 2007, 08:00 PM) *
Ive been playing guitar for 2 years and i barely know any scales (only 2 boxes of the pentatonic scale in the key of A).

The main reason i want to learn scales is to be able to shred fast and solo like this kid here....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsPddA6VJi4

Now im not really sure how to use scales, practice and play em.

Have no idea about the scale rules (like if we have to always stick to a key in a song, when can we switch modes etc)

Please help me (by posting links to lessons and explaining this complex stuff in a 2+2 format). I mainly want to be able to shred fast using scales.

Thanks

The kid in that videos tone is HORRIBLE!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 20 2007, 12:31 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Unleash-The-Shred @ Oct 20 2007, 01:28 AM) *

Yep blink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Oct 20 2007, 12:39 AM
QUOTE (Unleash-The-Shred @ Oct 19 2007, 05:28 PM) *

He's pretty sloppy too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Oct 20 2007, 12:43 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
It would be a nicer lesson if he played the clean, slow versions without mistakes...

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 20 2007, 12:43 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (botoxfox @ Oct 20 2007, 01:39 AM) *
He's pretty sloppy too.

He's a shredder laugh.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Paul Coutts
Oct 20 2007, 07:41 AM
not even a shredder....sounded terrible, I'm pretty interested in some cool scale runs tho too smile.gif

This post has been edited by Paul Coutts: Oct 20 2007, 07:42 AM

--------------------
Gear - Ibanez RG350EX, Ibanez RG220DX, ESP LTD MH250, Line 6 PODx3, Laney TF100, Ibanez SM7, Ibanez RG ?

+Quote Post
Understudy
Oct 20 2007, 10:01 PM
Kris has 3 lessons on the pentatonic scale in A, I think. I would start with lesson 1 and then move to 2 and 3. Great lessons that show you the boxes and how they all connect to be able to play all over the neck.

QUOTE (Unleash-The-Shred @ Oct 19 2007, 07:28 PM) *

His technique sucks too tongue.gif

--------------------
Guitars Carvin DC-127 Ibanez RG-470
Accoustic Guitar Ovation Celebrity
Amp Marshall VS65R
Recording Gear Tascam Ministudio Porta 02 (Analog 4 track)
Boss DR-220 Dr. Rhythm Digital Drum Machine
Tuner Boss TU-12
Effects pedals Dunlop 535Q CryBaby, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Boss
CS-3 Compression Sustainer, Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, Boss DD-5 Digital Delay

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 04:18 PM