What Is The Best Way To Learn A Song?
lee
Sep 3 2009, 03:50 AM
GMC:er
Hi All,

What is the best way to learn a song?I can't do this by ear yet.
The few song books that I have purchased are inaccurate and
at 20 dollars plus a pop i'm not buying any more of those.Is there
a tab website that i'm not aware of?Any suggestions will be much
appreciated.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 10)
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Sep 3 2009, 03:51 AM
QUOTE (lee @ Sep 2 2009, 07:50 PM) *
Hi All,

What is the best way to learn a song?I can't do this by ear yet.
The few song books that I have purchased are inaccurate and
at 20 dollars plus a pop i'm not buying any more of those.Is there
a tab website that i'm not aware of?Any suggestions will be much
appreciated.

ultimate-guitar.com

You shouldn't be buying tabs really.

have fun biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
lee
Sep 3 2009, 04:05 AM
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Sep 2 2009, 08:51 PM) *
ultimate-guitar.com

You shouldn't be buying tabs really.

have fun biggrin.gif

Thanks Eat-Sleep-andJam i'll check that site out. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Sep 3 2009, 04:26 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hi Lee.
I hope Eat-Sleeps-and Jams comments helps to point you in the right direction for good Tabs.

Really you need to work on your ear training in my opinion if you are serious about your playing. There is no getting away from it and it will help when you have to improv over a chord progression.

There are many ways to approach figuring out a cover tune/song, but here is what works for me.

1.) I really have to like the song/backing or what ever to get in a grove.
2.) I listen to it without playing guitar at all (many, many, many times), and try and visualize where chords are being played and me doing it. This is also a good time to air guitar and get in sync with the timing. laugh.gif biggrin.gif
3.) Play along with the song and figure out the chord progression. If you can at least get the root note of each chords then the rest is easy imho.
4.) If you have the root note of the chord then you should be able to just pick one string at a time using your fingers to find the next note of the chord.

Figuring out the solo of a song is kind of the same process but involves more practice and having an ear for what your playing over a chord.

Start with something easy lick and AC/DC song or something and once you find what works for you and finger your way through a hand full of songs, things will get easier.

If you would like more help just let me know (PM is fine) or if this makes know since then at least I tried. smile.gif

This post has been edited by UncleSkillet: Sep 3 2009, 04:35 AM

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
lee
Sep 3 2009, 04:43 AM
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Sep 2 2009, 09:26 PM) *
Hi Lee.
I hope Eat-Sleeps-and Jams comments helps to point you in the right direction for good Tabs.

Really you need to work on your ear training in my opinion if you are serious about your playing. There is no getting away from it and it will help when you have to improv over a chord progression.

There are many ways to approach figuring out a cover tune/song, but here is what works for me.

1.) I really have to like the song/backing or what ever to get in a grove.
2.) I listen to it without playing guitar at all (many, many, many times), and try and visualize where chords are being played and me doing it. This is also a good time to air guitar and get in sync with the timing. laugh.gif biggrin.gif
3.) Play along with the song and figure out the chord progression. If you can at least get the root note of each chords then the rest is easy imho.
4.) If you have the root note of the chord then you should be able to just pick one string at a time using your fingers to find the next note of the chord.

Figuring out the solo of a song is kind of the same process but involves more practice and having an ear for what your playing over a chord.

Start with something easy lick and AC/DC song or something and once you find what works for you and finger your way through a hand full of songs, things will get easier.

If you would like more help just let me know (PM is fine) or if this makes know since than at least I tried. smile.gif

Thanks UncleSkillet,My ear is a work in progress.I will continue to work on this,but if time is limited
it's good to have tabs.It seems like the more songs I learn the better my ear gets.I will need help at
some point.Thanks again bro biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Sep 3 2009, 04:54 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (lee @ Sep 2 2009, 11:43 PM) *
Thanks UncleSkillet,My ear is a work in progress.I will continue to work on this,but if time is limited
it's good to have tabs.It seems like the more songs I learn the better my ear gets.I will need help at
some point.Thanks again bro biggrin.gif

Work on what you feel is best for you Lee. Tabs can tell you where to put your finger but in my experience they don't help a lot with the feel and technique (legato, hammer on, pull off, staccato, hybrid picking, bends, and vibrato placement) of a song.

I hope you work things out and if you have a question I'm here. smile.gif

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
lee
Sep 3 2009, 05:24 AM
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Sep 2 2009, 09:54 PM) *
Work on what you feel is best for you Lee. Tabs can tell you where to put your finger but in my experience they don't help a lot with the feel and technique (legato, hammer on, pull off, staccato, hybrid picking, bends, and vibrato placement) of a song.

I hope you work things out and if you have a question I'm here. smile.gif

Thanks bro smile.gif

+Quote Post
Joruus
Sep 3 2009, 05:24 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Best way of learning from tab is getting GuitarPro tabs! (those are downloadable from the same site as mentioned above)

That way you also get the timing and alot more info then the txt tabs
Only bad part is you need guitarpro wich costs 59€
I read somewhere that you can get a free program that reads those files aswell but i forgot the name rolleyes.gif

(I bought guitarpro and think its well worth its price)

This post has been edited by Joruus: Sep 3 2009, 05:25 PM

--------------------
Gear:
Guitars: Ibanez Jem 7vwh, Ibanez RG 350 DX, Gibson Les Paul Studio
Effects: Line 6 PODxt + FBV MKII Express pedal
Amp: Line6 SpiderIII 15

+Quote Post
Matt23
Sep 3 2009, 05:36 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Ultimate-Guitar is the best for tabs. And try Tux Guitar, it's a great free alternative to Guitar Pro, and you can open and create Guitar Pro, and Power tab files with it.

QUOTE (Joruus @ Sep 3 2009, 05:24 PM) *
I read somewhere that you can get a free program that reads those files aswell but i forgot the name rolleyes.gif

That would be Tux Guitar. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Jesse
Sep 3 2009, 06:35 PM
Well actually, to play AC/DC correct by ear is INCREDIBLY hard, since they hardly ever use "regular"chords.

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Sep 3 2009, 07:02 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jesse @ Sep 3 2009, 07:35 PM) *
Well actually, to play AC/DC correct by ear is INCREDIBLY hard, since they hardly ever use "regular"chords.

I can't agree cause it has a lot to do with experience,
ask yourself the same thing in couple of years and you'll see.
Sooner you start using your ears at full capacity
the sooner all things shall become clear in your brain and ears,
you'll hear MANY things sooo easily that you couldn't before. wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:25 PM