What Are 9th Arpeggios, Learn How to Build 9th Arpeggios
The Professor
Apr 11 2013, 10:18 AM
Theory Instructor
How to Build 9th Arpeggios

In this music theory lesson, we’ll be exploring two different ways that you can use to build and recognize Dominant 9th Arpeggios in tab and notation.

The first way that you can use to build 9th Arpeggios, is to take a Dominant 7th chord, such as the C7 in the given examples, and simply add a 9th on top of that chord.

To review this concept, check out the How to Build 7th Chords Lesson on the GMC Forum.

This means that if you have C7, C E G Bb, and you want to make it a 9th Arpeggio, you add D to those notes, producing a C9 Arpeggio, C E G Bb D.

Here is how that would look on paper.

Attached Image

The second way you can use to build a Dominant 9th Arpeggios, is to take the 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th and 9th notes of the Mixolydian Scale as those 5 notes produce that notes needed to spell out a 9th Arpeggio.

Here is how that looks on paper.

Attached Image

As you can see, the 1,3,5,7 and 9 from Mixolydian, C-E-G-Bb-D in this key, produce the notes needed to spell out a C9 Arpeggio.

Test Your Theory Knowledge!

Now that you have learned how to build Dominant 9th Arpeggios, try writing out a number of them in the comments section below to get some practice with these shapes.

If you write out some, or all, of the different 9th Arpeggios I’ll be happy to look over your work and make sure you’re on the right track.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by The Professor: Apr 12 2013, 10:32 AM

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
korblitz
Apr 11 2013, 11:42 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
9th Arpegios cyclying in Fourths R 3 5 b7 9
Spoiler:

C E G Bb D
F A C Eb G
Bb D F Ab C
Eb G Bb Db F
Ab B Eb Gb Bb
Db F Ab B Eb
F# A# C# E G#
B D# F# A C#
E G# B D F#
A C# E G B
D F# A C E
G B D F A

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
The Professor
Apr 11 2013, 11:48 AM
Theory Instructor
QUOTE (korblitz @ Apr 11 2013, 11:42 AM) *
9th Arpegios cyclying in Fourths R 3 5 b7 9
Spoiler:

C E G Bb D
F A C Eb G
Bb D F Ab C
Eb G Bb Db F
Ab B Eb Gb Bb
Db F Ab B Eb
F# A# C# E G#
B D# F# A C#
E G# B D F#
A C# E G B
D F# A C E
G B D F A

That's it man, nice work!

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:46 PM