Wow I Never New This.......... Lo.ok Here!
Legend aKa Colto...
Dec 9 2007, 09:56 PM
GMC:er
Ok so i just herd bout the alternate picking thing im a new memeber here and i only been playing the guitar for like a few days now i can play some songs like iron man and Sweet child o mine intro OK so ive been playing everything with down strokes is that ok? or do i have to do down up down or up down up if so y?
y cant i play with just downstrokes? its alot easier for me EXAMPLE. im on the begginer kick of course i know the power chords i know the scales so on the Am pentatonic scale i have to do down up down? beacuase i play it with all down strokes.

Thank You for your time and your replies!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Dec 9 2007, 10:01 PM
Instructor
You can use all downstrokes if that gives you enough time,
of course you'll have to use alternate for some faster licks. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
JVM
Learning Roadie
Generally for chords and such, all downstrokes is fine if it fits the style. For example metal riffing is a lot of downstrokes, not always, but sometimes.

When playing single notes, alternate picking is simply much faster and more accurate than just downpicking could ever be. It will take some getting used to but once you do you'll see that you play much faster, and more accurately. There are exceptions to this too though (as there are to every rule) so for example playing bluesy stuff, often downstrokes will give you a different and perhaps more desireable sound.

So really, it depends, but definitely learn AP if you ask me smile.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
erik
when you are playing riffs such as power chords, you should use down-strokes. But when you are playing pentatonics and other solo stuff you should always use alternate picking.

edit:
oops, to late tongue.gif

This post has been edited by erik: Dec 9 2007, 10:02 PM

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Dec 9 2007, 10:02 PM
Yeah, like Muris said you will need to use it at some point. I'd recommend practicing it.

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Dec 9 2007, 10:03 PM
When Practicing songs such as Sweet Child O Mine, I would definitely recommend alt. picking. The only way you can ever get fast on the guitar is to learn how to alternate pick, even the solo of Sweet Child O Mine would require alternate picking. There is just no way you can pick only downstrokes on things like that. As far as practicing chords goes, I would practice alternating strumming and different strumming patterns. Just remember that alt picking may be a pain right now, but you will defintely reap some serious rewards once you advance in your playing. wink.gif

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Dec 9 2007, 10:05 PM
Instructor
I remember when I was starting to play guitar I played just downstrokes like you too. But soon I realised that if I wanted to play fast, I would need to learn to alternative picking. But don't worry, it ain't so hard, just practise it very slowly at first and then raise the tempo up slowly.

-Toni

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Dec 9 2007, 10:15 PM
Economy picking may be useful too on some occasions.

+Quote Post
skennington
Dec 9 2007, 10:29 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
I'm a beginner as well and was using all down strokes until I got into scales. I'm focussing now on AP. I think the longer you play like this, the harder the habbit will be to break. Think about how hard it's going to be when you want to try and get up to tempo with 16th note triplets. Your progress is going to stall if you dont prctice AP. Just my 2 cents.

Seriously, I would add AP in your practice routine.

Steve

+Quote Post
rokchik
Dec 9 2007, 10:45 PM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (skennington @ Dec 9 2007, 05:29 PM) *
I'm a beginner as well and was using all down strokes until I got into scales. I'm focussing now on AP. I think the longer you play like this, the harder the habbit will be to break. Think about how hard it's going to be when you want to try and get up to tempo with 16th note triplets. Your progress is going to stall if you dont prctice AP. Just my 2 cents.

Seriously, I would add AP in your practice routine.

Steve

I fell into the down stroke trap too when I first started aswell. However when I started on scales and using a metronome when practicing I noticed I wasn't getting anywhere in relation to speed. I started the alternate picking excercises and even though it took a while to get it helped me tremendously. My speed has steadily increased since I switched to AP. Down strokes are great in some situations but I'd recommend learning alternate picking as it's a valuable skill to have. It was hard work for me but well worth the effert.

+Quote Post
Pavel
Dec 9 2007, 10:54 PM
Instructor
All downstrokes is a common mistake for beginners. You sure will need to practice alternate picking smile.gif imagine playing this with all downstrokes?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=J3Eo1bXom2I

or this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=k25-7DRf0cE

A great thing to start with would Kris's 1on1 AP lessons. Have fun practicing my friend and shoot any questions you have smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:07 AM