Need Help!
Martin la guitar...
May 12 2009, 01:41 PM
GMC:er
Hey, im practicing the pentatonic scale right now. Although im a bit unsure about the fingering. Lets say i play this scale in the key of A. When im going to hit the notes on the 8 fret, which finger do i use, pinky or ring finger. And if i use a pinky, shall i bend with the pinky aswell?

Plz help smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
May 12 2009, 01:44 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Martin la guitarra @ May 12 2009, 02:41 PM) *
Hey, im practicing the pentatonic scale right now. Although im a bit unsure about the fingering. Lets say i play this scale in the key of A. When im going to hit the notes on the 8 fret, which finger do i use, pinky or ring finger. And if i use a pinky, shall i bend with the pinky aswell?

Plz help smile.gif

If you have big fingers you can use ring finger !
Usually the closer to the neck you should use pinky, further down the neck use ring finger.

For bending I recommend ring finger and support with index and middle finger !

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Martin la guitar...
May 12 2009, 01:49 PM
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ May 12 2009, 02:44 PM) *
If you have big fingers you can use ring finger !
Usually the closer to the neck you should use pinky, further down the neck use ring finger.

For bending I recommend ring finger and support with index and middle finger !

So lets say I'm going (from the highest string)

E --8-------5------- I play the 8 note with the ring finger

B --8--------5-----

G --7-------5------ but the 7 note? Shall i use the ring, or the middle?

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
May 12 2009, 01:55 PM
Instructor
Use whichever feels more comfortable.

Try this one, I used all 4 fingers.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/pentat...five-positions/

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
May 12 2009, 02:03 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Martin la guitarra @ May 12 2009, 02:49 PM) *
So lets say I'm going (from the highest string)

E --8-------5------- I play the 8 note with the ring finger

B --8--------5-----

G --7-------5------ but the 7 note? Shall i use the ring, or the middle?

Use ring finger for 7 !

In that position you are talking about you have only 4 frets, and you can assign 4 fingers for each fret. Index for 5, Middle for 6, Ring for 7 and Pinky for 8.

The only exception is when you are doing bending. Then you dont use pinky but rather ring finger.

Hope that helps !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Martin la guitar...
May 12 2009, 02:07 PM
kk thanks

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
May 12 2009, 03:36 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Martin la guitarra @ May 12 2009, 03:07 PM) *
kk thanks

No problem Martin !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 12 2009, 06:55 PM
Instructor
You can use both ways, depending on the size of the fingers. Hendrix used to play the top notes with ring, and bended G string with the middle finger. But, try to bend with the ring finger, you will get better control that way. Also - you will be able to use pinky for other fretting around that note, for example to go to next position.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
May 12 2009, 10:05 PM
Learning Tone Guru
Can you post photo of your fingers? biggrin.gif I never heard about using middle finger for wholestep interval (i.e. two frets:)) Thats kind of stretch:) But do what suits best to you:)

And regarding that bends.. I asked the same question recently. After few days of practice, I agree with others - ring with support of others all the way ! wink.gif

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post
Alexiaden93
May 12 2009, 10:24 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey, if you follow the tabs, just watch my fingering (it's very useful to get down the pinky on the 8th fret, as when you start shredding using aeolian mode (natural minor) you are gonna need to place the ring-finger on the seventh fret in the first position...) SO:

1 - 4 | 1 - 3 | 1 - 3 | 1 - 3 | 1 - 4 | 1 - 4

Hope it helps, and for improvising I guess you can just use whatever fingering you want... smile.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel
Lost in all the 2000+ GMC lessons? Check my Lesson Plan

Guitars
Fender American Standard Stratocaster - Olympic White body, Maple fretboard, White Pearl pickguard, 21 frets, SSS
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Recording equipment/software
Line 6 POD Studio GX
Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
May 13 2009, 05:09 AM
Hey, if you follow the tabs, just watch my fingering (it's very useful to get down the pinky on the 8th fret, as when you start shredding using aeolian mode (natural minor) you are gonna need to place the ring-finger on the seventh fret in the first position...) SO:

1 - 4 | 1 - 3 | 1 - 3 | 1 - 3 | 1 - 4 | 1 - 4

Hope it helps, and for improvising I guess you can just use whatever fingering you want... smile.gif

This is the most advisable thing to do so you don´t force the fingers

This post has been edited by Santiago Diaz Garces: May 13 2009, 05:11 AM

+Quote Post
-Zion-
May 13 2009, 10:00 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Santiago Diaz Garces @ May 13 2009, 06:09 AM) *
This is the most advisable thing to do so you don´t force the fingers

While i agree on the above, once you get the pattern played into your mind, you should experiment by using different fingering.. the same note may sound slightly different when using ring finger compared to pinky, and index finger compared to "bad mutherfinger"..

smile.gif

This post has been edited by -Zion-: May 13 2009, 10:00 AM

+Quote Post
Alexiaden93
May 13 2009, 01:31 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (-Zion- @ May 13 2009, 11:00 AM) *
While i agree on the above, once you get the pattern played into your mind, you should experiment by using different fingering.. the same note may sound slightly different when using ring finger compared to pinky, and index finger compared to "bad mutherfinger"..

smile.gif

I would also like to add that the fingering changes depending on the box you want to play in. A very good way to move up the fret is sliding from 5 to 8 using the index or "bad mutherfinger", as you can then start playing in other positions... I'm not sure you are interested in this information, but might help in the long run smile.gif It's important to play "outside the box", and you should check out some lessons concerning the pentatonic scale, showing many different ways of changing positions... I don't have the name at this exact moment, but it should be easy to find.

I also suggest that you start learning all the five positions for minor pentatonic, although you may not need to play between them at first. When you are very comfortable playing all the positions separately, play extremely slowly and move to the adjacent box (both boxes left/right are easy to remember)... smile.gif This may take some time to get down, but it will seriously be worth it in the long run.

Hope this helps smile.gif

Alexander

--------------------
My YouTube Channel
Lost in all the 2000+ GMC lessons? Check my Lesson Plan

Guitars
Fender American Standard Stratocaster - Olympic White body, Maple fretboard, White Pearl pickguard, 21 frets, SSS
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Recording equipment/software
Line 6 POD Studio GX
Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

+Quote Post
Martin la guitar...
May 13 2009, 02:43 PM
thank you so much for the responses!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
May 13 2009, 02:43 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jakub Luptovec @ May 12 2009, 11:05 PM) *
Can you post photo of your fingers? biggrin.gif I never heard about using middle finger for wholestep interval (i.e. two frets:)) Thats kind of stretch:) But do what suits best to you:)

Many use index and middle for even whole and a half interval,
diminish triad on one string per example, 2 minor 3rds
and it's played with index, middle and pinky.

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 13 2009, 03:16 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jakub Luptovec @ May 12 2009, 11:05 PM) *

And regarding that bends.. I asked the same question recently. After few days of practice, I agree with others - ring with support of others all the way ! wink.gif

it all a matter of technique, there is no force behind those bends at all. But I agree that pinky is the weakes finger, so it would be best to use ring finger. Pinky can be used as well tho, after a while it just becomes effortless, but since it is the smallest finger, and it can be used for other purposes, then using some other finger would be better.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:20 AM