Up In Flames Collab
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 3 2015, 02:19 PM
Instructor
Hello guys!!

I’d like to invite everybody to join my new VIDEO COLLAB called “Up In Flames Collab”,
based on the backing track from my lesson in the style of In Flames: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/In-Flames-Style-Lesson/

Backing track: Attached File  Up_In_Flames_Backing_165.mp3 ( 1.74MB ) Number of downloads: 314

Jamtrack: Attached File  Jamtrack.mp3 ( 8.23MB ) Number of downloads: 283

Key: Cm
Scales suggested: C minor & C pentatonic minor
Tempo: 165 bpm

The idea is that you create your own solos over this backing track, and share your files both audio and video here. At the end of the collab I'll mix everything, take the stronger parts and get a cool sounding track.

This is a video collab so I’ll also need videos from you playing the takes once you got the final one.

This thread will work as a workout so please feel free to start posting takes in progress, to let me give you feedback and comments to help you polish your takes.

Deadline: October 3rd

Important Info:
This is a "video" collab, so I will need audio & video from you. You should be sending exactly these 3 files:

Audio File 1: This file must be a mix of your solo and the backing track.
Audio File 2: This file must be only your guitar solo (no backing)
Video File: Video of you playing the solo. (audo isn't important in this one, it can be the one that the camera captures)

How to share the files? You upload post both audio and video here, or use youtube (for video) and soundcloud (for audio), but please remember to allow downloads when sharing.

Let me know if you have any other question about how to participate!

---------
FINAL MIX AND COMMENTS:

Hello guys! I’m happy to share the final video for this collab!

As you could see this instrumental track has become a killer metal song with vocals. While I was mixing the solos for this one, I was thinking that it could be a great hit with some catchy vocal melodies so I started experimenting with my voice. I wrote some lyrics and shared a draft inviting any screamer GMCer to help me singing this one.

The first that appeared was Todd who recorded really dark and aggressive vocals that helped a lot to make my vocals darker. He shared at the thread the effects that he used to get those diabolic vocals.

Then, the big surprise of this one was Cael, who shared a vocal take that blowed my mind! His vocals are so powerful and deep and fit great with this tune. That’s why, after some experimenting with different mixes, I decided to let him alone in the verse section.
I think that many students get scared of this collab because they felt that it was too fast or too difficult and honestly it’s a pity that you missed joining this one. Even 1 phrase, a lick, an harmonization, or a scream could make you be part of this amazing hit. So now you know, don’t miss the next one!

Special thanks to Phil for sharing alternative lyrics. I didn’t use them because I am with sore throat because of some kind of virus and I couldn’t sing the parts again, so we had to use the original lyrics.

Congrats Huargo on your amazing solo for this one. Each part of your solo is brilliant, tasty and fits great with the backing. I focused mostly on making this one a “song” but your solo could be an instrumental version. Great tapping and fast licks too.

I’d also like to say thanks to WeePee for your great solo for this one! It’s awesome how good your solo connects with Kristofer take, there are some palm muted phrases that were so close, you both should make a collab!

And finally also congrats and thanks Kris and Todd for your amazing takes and videos for this one.

Lyrics:
Do you want play guitar?
Do you want to be a guitar hero?
Stop seaching for solution
GMC is your place.

Run for your life
everybody has a mission
follow your heart
and reach to the sky

at GMC

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Kristofer Dahl: Oct 20 2015, 12:51 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 4 2015, 06:38 PM
Instructor
Hey friends! This is open for everybody from beginner to advanced players. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Sep 4 2015, 07:35 PM
Learning Roadie
I'm in the bathroom with my phone, I do not have listen the BT yet
But I love challenge. So I say a big
YES

you can count in me Gabriel

Laurent

This post has been edited by fzalfa: Sep 4 2015, 07:40 PM

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Sep 4 2015, 07:52 PM
GMC Founder
LOve this backing, I'm IIINNNNN!!!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 4 2015, 07:54 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (fzalfa @ Sep 4 2015, 03:35 PM) *
I'm in the bathroom with my phone, I do not have listen the BT yet
But I love challenge. So I say a big
YES

you can count in me Gabriel

Laurent

Great! Looking forward your takes. Please use my feedback on the improvisation course as your guidelines for working on this one too. Simple and tasty melodies can work great here.

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Sep 4 2015, 03:52 PM) *
LOve this backing, I'm IIINNNNN!!!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Great! I've seen you playing over this one at Facebook so I'm sure that you'll rock this one. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Sep 4 2015, 08:08 PM
Learning Roadie
it's an evidence, a day , i'll turn totaly crazy and single !!!

what lengh about the take ?

edit:

something in this way ? (false notes inside.... yes i search a way ! smile.gif )

https://soundcloud.com/maxime-bon-3/up-in-flamme-test-1

Laurent

This post has been edited by fzalfa: Sep 4 2015, 09:16 PM

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Sep 4 2015, 10:07 PM
Learning Rock Star
Yup I'm definitely in! I love this backing track and I think it will fit very nicely with the work I'm doing in Todds Bootcamp.

It reminds me of Bleeding Mascara by Atreau....

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 4 2015, 11:40 PM
GMC:er
You had me at "In Flames" smile.gif

Todd

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
Sep 5 2015, 09:09 AM
Tone Seeker
Oh yes ! I'm definitely in biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Sep 5 2015, 09:33 PM
Learning Roadie
I to the N to the IN!!!! cool.gif

+Quote Post
GeneT95
Sep 6 2015, 04:40 PM
Been away for a while traveling and such. Question for Gab.......before fiddling around to look for solo ideas I wanted to learn the backing first. I think there is a mistake/typo in the original tab for Up in Flames in lesson tab 4 for the backing guitar. As presently written it is......

Ab5-Bb5-C5....Ab5-Bb5-C5....Ab5-Bb5-C5....Ab5-Bb5-G5

When I believe it should be

Ab5-Bb5-C5....Ab5-Bb5- G5 ....Ab5-Bb5-C5....Ab5-Bb5-G5....

I could be wrong, my ears are getting old and the backing track is low under the solo lines.

+Quote Post
Huargo
Sep 6 2015, 07:31 PM
Tone Seeker
In!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Sep 6 2015, 09:00 PM
Learning Rock Star
https://soundcloud.com/jim-seekford-music/in-flames-collab-first-lick

Heres my first lick/idea.... watdaya think?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 7 2015, 05:31 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (fzalfa @ Sep 4 2015, 04:08 PM) *
it's an evidence, a day , i'll turn totaly crazy and single !!!

what lengh about the take ?

edit:

something in this way ? (false notes inside.... yes i search a way ! smile.gif )

https://soundcloud.com/maxime-bon-3/up-in-flamme-test-1

Laurent

Hi mate, the length is ok!

This is a good first take. I think that there are some cool ideas to take from this one to continue polishing. The idea that goes from 00:11 to 00:30 sounds interesting. It has some Maiden vibes that fit great with the backing. It would be good to re-learn it, and adjust some notes choices to make it go better with the backing track, and also adjust timing. This idea could be repeated on the whole verse, and maybe add some Maidenish harmonization.

Then, the other two parts, pre chorus and chorus, I like the fact that you go for simpler melodies, but you have to define more the lines and note choices. For example, the note at 00:46, it's a fourth if you relate it with the chord sounding. It's a fourth played in whole note, that's not a cool choice to start a chorus. Try to tend more to thirds, fifths and roots for the longer notes.

So to summarize, you have a good base here, please adjust the things that I've marked and share a new take. Let's slowly polish your take.

Deal?

QUOTE (GeneT95 @ Sep 6 2015, 12:40 PM) *
Been away for a while traveling and such. Question for Gab.......before fiddling around to look for solo ideas I wanted to learn the backing first. I think there is a mistake/typo in the original tab for Up in Flames in lesson tab 4 for the backing guitar. As presently written it is......

Ab5-Bb5-C5....Ab5-Bb5-C5....Ab5-Bb5-C5....Ab5-Bb5-G5

When I believe it should be

Ab5-Bb5-C5....Ab5-Bb5- G5 ....Ab5-Bb5-C5....Ab5-Bb5-G5....

I could be wrong, my ears are getting old and the backing track is low under the solo lines.

Hi Gene, you're right! That's the chord there. I'll fix this lesson. wink.gif

QUOTE (Jim S. @ Sep 6 2015, 05:00 PM) *

Hi mate! It's a killer idea!

Please polish timing on the faster part as well as cleanness. Also, your tone is a bit boomy, try adjusting your EQ, lowering low frequencies and enhancing some presence.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Sep 7 2015, 11:57 AM
Learning Roadie

DEAL !

Laurent

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 7 2015, 03:53 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (fzalfa @ Sep 7 2015, 07:57 AM) *

DEAL !

Laurent

wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 8 2015, 08:40 AM
Here's Mine!! Vid to follow ohmy.gif)

https://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/in-flames-collab-w-solo-todd-simpson

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 4 2015, 06:40 PM) *
You had me at "In Flames" smile.gif

Todd

You are SPOT ON! smile.gif This is just perfect for playing some of the licks we have been working on in bootcamp. Speaking of which, here comes some of them in my take!! We are going to use the bits in my solo for LESSON 400 this weekend smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Jim S. @ Sep 4 2015, 05:07 PM) *
Yup I'm definitely in! I love this backing track and I think it will fit very nicely with the work I'm doing in Todds Bootcamp.

It reminds me of Bleeding Mascara by Atreau....

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 8 2015, 01:48 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 8 2015, 04:40 AM) *

Killer solo Todd!! This is pure energy and first class playing!! Thanks for your take and inspiration. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Sep 8 2015, 03:50 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 8 2015, 03:40 AM) *
Here's Mine!! Vid to follow ohmy.gif)

https://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/in-flames-collab-w-solo-todd-simpson

You are SPOT ON! smile.gif This is just perfect for playing some of the licks we have been working on in bootcamp. Speaking of which, here comes some of them in my take!! We are going to use the bits in my solo for LESSON 400 this weekend smile.gif

Todd

Wow Todd! What an aggressive take. There's no slow and gentle that's gonna cut it with this backing and you nailed it. Nice one!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 8 2015, 07:13 PM
Thanks!!! smile.gif It's a KILLER backing which makes it extra fun to solo over!! I LOVE In Flames and you really nailed it. Could easily be an In Flames tune! smile.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 8 2015, 08:48 AM) *
Killer solo Todd!! This is pure energy and first class playing!! Thanks for your take and inspiration. smile.gif

Thanks much smile.gif I went for the throat given the full on style of the backing and it worked out better than I hoped smile.gif P.S. The "Single String Work" licks are going to be part of my next GMC VID LESSON in the VID LESSONS SECTION. It's very similar to the single string work in one of my fave collabs ever with Ben Higgins.

QUOTE (Jim S. @ Sep 8 2015, 10:50 AM) *
Wow Todd! What an aggressive take. There's no slow and gentle that's gonna cut it with this backing and you nailed it. Nice one!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Sep 8 2015, 07:27 PM

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:20 AM