Is There An Expensive "great" Guitar That Just Does Nothing For You?
Praetorian
Oct 4 2008, 01:32 AM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
What I mean is...I know that some guitars are just considered really good guitars, but for some reason I have no desire whatsoever to own one. The Gibson SG for example. I hear nothing but good things about it...it isn't an ugly guitar...but for some reason, I couldn't be less interested in owning one. I don't know why. Anyone else feel the same way about some other guitars?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
bsamn
Oct 4 2008, 01:49 AM
GMC:er
For me PRS, i dont know why. I just want Prs dragon for the heck of it.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Xicoria
Oct 4 2008, 02:01 AM
Funny is that I am saving money to buy a Gibson SG... I look at it everyday, listen to it everyday... and I will buy one... no matter the time it takes...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fullmetal_Tmd
Oct 4 2008, 02:01 AM
I know they've built a generation, and is the favorite guitar of many, but i really don't like Gibson Les Pauls =/. Every time I go to Guitar Center, I always play a Les Paul first, but for some reason, they never feel right to me. I've tried other LPs too, but its always the same. Its the same way with Fender Strats, too. The tone sounds like its lacking something, the necks aren't fast enough for me (i've tried wiping them down with my shirt, that did nothing) among other things.

But for some reason, when I play the Schecter C1-Classic i've been saving up for, or other Schecters for that matter, its like I'm in heaven. I've also played an LTD EC-1000 in the stunning Cherry Sunburst finish, and I absolutely love it. I don't know, maybe i was meant to play these guitars instead of Fender and Gibson tongue.gif

+Quote Post
bladzerok
Oct 4 2008, 02:14 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
well every Gibson and PRS don't seem appealing to me.
i mean, theyre beautifull guitars, and prs play pretty well (i dont love sg and LP feel though), ut i just don't like them

but i think Charvel guitar(usa production model series) looks very cool cool.gif

--------------------
My gears are:
guitars:
-simon and patrick accoustic guitar
-ovation accoustic guitar
-Ibanez S320 electric guitar
-Ibanez RG7321 electric guitar
amp:
-Peavey valveking 112
effects:
-Boss SD-1
-Dunlop crybaby from hell
-Boss GE-7 7-Band Equaliser
-Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Oct 4 2008, 02:51 AM
To each his own I guess! Thank god we don't all have the same interests right?!

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
skennington
Oct 4 2008, 02:52 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
For me, Kramer USA models and Parker. Just can't get over the headstock. I've played both, a freind's late 80's Kramer and a Nitefly at GC and both sound amazing! It's the dang headstock unsure.gif laugh.gif

Sorry Kris,David,OC and all you guys that play Parker's. I know looks should not be an issue but they do bother me.. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Oct 4 2008, 02:54 AM
QUOTE (skennington @ Oct 3 2008, 09:52 PM) *
For me, Kramer USA models and Parker. Just can't get over the headstock. I've played both, a freind's late 80's Kramer and a Nitefly at GC and both sound amazing! It's the dang headstock unsure.gif laugh.gif

Sorry Kris,David,OC and all you guys that play Parker's. I know looks should not be an issue but they do bother me.. rolleyes.gif

I know what you mean! I just cannot get used to the giant headstock of Dean guitars!

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Oct 4 2008, 06:17 AM
Deans, Gibson LP's, Fender Strats, or Parkers.. all great guitars, all absolutely meaningless to me.

Guitars i love
Jacksons
ESP
PRS
ibanez

and schecter smile.gif

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 4 2008, 11:37 AM
I hate:

ESP
Ibanez
Jackson
Gibson (excluding Gibson SG Special)
PRS
Music Man

And love

Parker
Caparison
Rickenbacher
Fender
Suhr

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Jesse
Oct 4 2008, 11:39 AM
QUOTE (Praetorian @ Oct 4 2008, 02:32 AM) *
What I mean is...I know that some guitars are just considered really good guitars, but for some reason I have no desire whatsoever to own one. The Gibson SG for example. I hear nothing but good things about it...it isn't an ugly guitar...but for some reason, I couldn't be less interested in owning one. I don't know why. Anyone else feel the same way about some other guitars?
lol , I love the gibson sg.. i want to own one;) But for me itll be a gibson les paul

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Oct 4 2008, 12:11 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
For me that would be quite a lot of guitars I guess wink.gif An SG sounds very good, but I never really liked its looks. I love Explorers, but I just can't play on them. A Fender Strat is an awesome guitar, but it does not deliver "my" sound. Many people love Ibanez guitars, but I never liked them much, the necks are way to thin and flat in my opinion (hehe, yes, I want my Baseball bat necks).

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
bamba23
Oct 4 2008, 01:32 PM
les pauls,SG
all ephiphones.
some ibanz.
i love ESPS,LTDS,PRS SCHTCHER
peavy have some nice cheap guitars

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 4 2008, 01:35 PM
QUOTE (bamba23 @ Oct 4 2008, 01:32 PM) *
peavy have some nice cheap guitars

Christ I forgot about them. Add Peavey to my list of hated guitars smile.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Oct 4 2008, 01:36 PM
Learning Tone Master
I would love to own a Fender Strat just for the heck of owning one although I hate how it looks and it does not fit my style at all...

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Rooks
Oct 4 2008, 02:07 PM
I think aesthetics means a lot too tongue.gif

And a LP sound really great and stuff but I really don't like the way it looks.. I like Ibanez, Fenders and Esp's

The guitar I really like to own is the Jem7 but I refuse to pay that much for that guitar tongue.gif Its just not right to pay that price for some wood and gold screws..

--------------------

Gear: Guitar Cort EVL X4 , Squier Strat Amp Peavey Valveking 112 50w

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 4 2008, 07:55 PM
Instructor
hmm, don't really know haven't had expensive guitars, but the way I tried in a store, Ibanez JEM was one of the guitar that didn't suit me well at all.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Canis
Oct 4 2008, 09:11 PM
Learning Rock Star
I haven't touched a guitar that's more expansive then $500, that I haven't liked tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Koopid
Oct 5 2008, 05:52 AM
Learning Roadie
Gibson SG (looks), Jackson Guitars in general (I have no idea why!, i would like to like them...), Dean Guitars (headstock), V-shape guitars or other weird shaped guitars.

The Gibson Les Paul has some of the most beautiful guitars ever, but they are too damned heavy so no more of those either.

Guitars I would like to have is:
Any explorer model except Gibson(its too big) with active PU's
A Fender stratocaster (I dont like the look but love the sound)
A PRS Custom 22 or 24.

Add a Mesa Boogie Tripe rectifier stack to that list and a couple of effects and I am pretty much set for life gearwise smile.gif

--------------------
Gear
Amp
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
Marshall 1960A cab
Guitars
ESP Eclipse I CTM Snow White
Jackson SLSMG
Takamine EG320C
Bass
Epiphone Thunderbird Goth Bass
Effects/Stomps
Boss SD1
Boss MT2 Metalzone
Dunlop Zack Wylde Wah
Behringer BEQ700 Equalizer
Harley Benton PT-100 stagetuner
Studio EQ
PodXT Live
Edirol FA 66 soundcard
Yamaha HS50M monitors
Macbook pro

+Quote Post
Starry Manhattan...
Oct 5 2008, 07:52 AM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Oct 5 2008, 04:55 AM) *
hmm, don't really know haven't had expensive guitars, but the way I tried in a store, Ibanez JEM was one of the guitar that didn't suit me well at all.

Although it is all IMHO, I can relate to this. I played an RG1570 and a JEM77V side by side and overall I preferred the RG1570 (which I now own). I preferred the DiMarzio Breed's in the JEM, but I preferred the feel of the RG, particularly the neck, as the one one the JEM felt almost "sticky" to me.

Also, I prefer dot inlays to the vine on the JEM, I would rather not have the monkey grip and I wanted an RG shape guitar, minus a pickguard.

Again, this is all subjective. Some other guitars I dislike aesthetically are Rickenbacker's, SG's and Firebird's.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:37 PM