Can Someone Explain The Difference Between Channel Volume...and Master Volume?
Praetorian
Nov 13 2008, 07:07 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
I just bought a Line 6 Spider Jam amp and it has Channel Volume and Master Volume knobs. Turning them seems to have the same effect...and the manual is not exactly clear. What is the difference between these?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 12)
Emir Hot
Nov 13 2008, 07:34 PM
Instructor
If you have more channels on the amp you have the volume for each channel separately. Master volume will affect all of those together. For example if you are playing live you set one channel for rhythm and one for solo and set the volume for each channel. The one for solo should be louder obviously. Then you turn your master accordingly how loud you want your amp to sound in general.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Nov 13 2008, 07:35 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Praetorian @ Nov 13 2008, 07:07 PM) *
I just bought a Line 6 Spider Jam amp and it has Channel Volume and Master Volume knobs. Turning them seems to have the same effect...and the manual is not exactly clear. What is the difference between these?

I used to own that amp in Boston in school I was teaching at and for private students also. It 100$ amp at Guitar center and you can get some awesome sounds out of it. Good choice for low budget - must have amp.

Master volume should be Overall sound while channel volume should control the volume of your gain I think smile.gif

This post has been edited by Pedja Simovic: Nov 13 2008, 08:01 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Nov 13 2008, 08:34 PM
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Nov 13 2008, 01:35 PM) *
I used to own that amp in Boston in school I was teaching at and for private students also. It 100$ amp at Guitar center and you can get some awesome sounds out of it. Good choice for low budget - must have amp.

Master volume should be Overall sound while channel volume should control the volume of your gain I think smile.gif

Is this the amp you are thinking about? This is what I have...if you found one for $100 you found a GREAT DEAL!!!

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Spider-...035-i1371684.gc

QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Nov 13 2008, 01:34 PM) *
If you have more channels on the amp you have the volume for each channel separately. Master volume will affect all of those together. For example if you are playing live you set one channel for rhythm and one for solo and set the volume for each channel. The one for solo should be louder obviously. Then you turn your master accordingly how loud you want your amp to sound in general.

Hmmm...that makes sense. I'll have to play with it more and see how to switch channels!

Thanks Emir

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Nov 13 2008, 08:37 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Praetorian @ Nov 13 2008, 08:34 PM) *
Is this the amp you are thinking about? This is what I have...if you found one for $100 you found a GREAT DEAL!!!

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Spider-...035-i1371684.gc

Actually I had Line 6 Spider 3 which is 15 watt one and it has only ONE input. Everything else is pretty much the same functions I believe, so it should work the same way smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Nov 14 2008, 12:19 AM
Instructor
Master Volume is for power section of your amp,watts,final step in loudness.
Channel Volume is for each channel separately.
Some amps have independent gain/input pots for each channel,
that would be gain for lead channels
and input for clean channels most of the time.

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 14 2008, 11:47 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Praetorian @ Nov 13 2008, 08:34 PM) *
Hmmm...that makes sense. I'll have to play with it more and see how to switch channels!

I think on Spider you have switching between different models of amps, not channel switching. Also you can get a footswtich for this amp.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Nov 14 2008, 03:25 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Nov 14 2008, 05:47 AM) *
I think on Spider you have switching between different models of amps, not channel switching. Also you can get a footswtich for this amp.

I think that's what is confusing me. There is a channel volume knob, but I am not sure what a "channel" is. It seems to just make the amp louder just like the master volume.

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 14 2008, 04:48 PM
Instructor
I think channel volume serves to individually adjust the volume of each of the amp models, and master volume adjusts the volume of the amp, the amount of loudness you put to the speaker.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 14 2008, 05:46 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Nov 14 2008, 04:48 PM) *
I think channel volume serves to individually adjust the volume of each of the amp models, and master volume adjusts the volume of the amp, the amount of loudness you put to the speaker.

+1 on that...I think that amp "remembers" settings so you can make different patches....On other amps which have multiple channels you use that for making rhythm and lead sounds (lead being louder) while master is for the whole amp in general.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Nov 14 2008, 06:56 PM
Well, there is some great info here guys...thanks!

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Nov 14 2008, 07:06 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Praetorian @ Nov 14 2008, 06:56 PM) *
Well, there is some great info here guys...thanks!

You welcome man - all the advices were very useful I believe.

I would love to hear some recording with that Line 6 amp.

I used to play Crunch channel all the time and made it sound really cool with PRS we had at school . I will look for audio and post it somewhere if you want smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Nov 14 2008, 07:12 PM
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Nov 14 2008, 01:06 PM) *
You welcome man - all the advices were very useful I believe.

I would love to hear some recording with that Line 6 amp.

I used to play Crunch channel all the time and made it sound really cool with PRS we had at school . I will look for audio and post it somewhere if you want smile.gif

Here is a good video showing how you can jam to a backing track...in this case the track is called "Whiskey Groove". Then you can overdub yourself! So you can actually play rhythm AND lead parts!

This post has been edited by Praetorian: Nov 14 2008, 07:21 PM

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:11 AM