How Many Hours A Day Do You Practice?
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 6 2013, 01:52 PM
Instructor
Hello guys! Let's talk a bit about how many time we have to play guitar dialy and how you organize this time. I remember that when I was a teenager I used to play more than 6 hour a day. Nobody taught me to organize time using routines so it was free time working on technique, improvisation, playing a long with songs, learning songs... not very organized, but as I had lots of time it was effective.

So the questions are:

1. How many hours a day do you practice?
2. How do you organize your time?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Ben Higgins
Dec 6 2013, 03:15 PM
Instructor
Over the years it's changed. In my teens I'd rack up hours daily.. but up until recently I'd barely practise at all.

Lately, I've been practising harder than I have since I can remember.. although I'm having a day off today because my body feels achy dry.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
MichaelRdk
Dec 6 2013, 03:32 PM
Learning Roadie
2-3hours a day, sometimes less, sometimes alot more, whenever i don't have something to do i pick up the guitar, have no time routine or time taken out for guitar practice, just do whenever i'm home anyway smile.gif

+Quote Post
Doug Lane
Dec 6 2013, 03:47 PM
GMC:er
Most days I'll spend an hour or two playing, but man oh man, it is ON during the weekends and holidays! For the weekends I practice for 1.5-2 hours a day in the video chat with Todd, an hour of dedicated practice on my own routine, and four or five stints of 30 minutes to an hour sets of just unstructured jamming or playing around with new ideas. I try not to just eke in time for guitar, I integrate music into my life as one of my biggest cornerstones.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Dec 6 2013, 04:16 PM
Like a lot of you guys, from the age of about 15 to 28 I 'practiced' probably 2 to 3 hours a day on average but many times that could easily stretch to 6 - 8 hours. I took private lessons once a week, I had music in school, jammed with friends and family, played in a community band one day a week and started to get my first gigs. Because I studied with good teachers I learned to *practice properly early on. Proper warm-up, scales, arps (with metronome), some transcribing, chord voicings, learned my modes, etc. Standard stuff ... which I'm very thankful that I learned in the beginning because now anytime I have an 'issue' with something I know how to approach it.

These days I go in phases. I 'play' a lot. Sometimes all day but that's different than actually practicing i.e., working on new things and improving technically and/or conceptually. When I don't have work (which is now, lol!) the first thing I do is take a break. I have a little repetitive stress syndrome as well as an old injury in my right arm so it's good for me to cool down for a couple/few days. Also mentally I need to get away from it sometimes. Then I'll get the bug and dive in deep for awhile. I have some things I need to and want to work on in the next few weeks. I also want to take some lessons on my new Lap Steel guitar.

As for how I organize my time ... ?
1) I work on things I need to learn for up coming work. That usually entails a lot of memorization and sometimes transcribing. Also, working out parts and sounds. *Many days my practice is exclusively dedicated to finding the right sounds for a gig.
2) When I actually practice for myself I tend to focus on learning tunes that I want to do, improvisation and then some technique. Working on an arrangement of a 'solo' guitar piece. That usually includes some re-harmonization, chord sub's and voicings. I'm obviously not much of a 'chops' player so technique is not a huge component of my practice though I definitely work on achieving the amount of technique I need to realize what I hear in my head.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Dec 6 2013, 07:00 PM

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Dec 6 2013, 04:30 PM
Learning Tone Master
In my case I study many hours. Monday- Friday around 4-5 hours and in weekend not less than 10 hours. If I work for a collab, competition or I have something harder to work for my mentoring with Darek, very often forget to sleep smile.gif Never, but never I don't have a day for break. I changed my life very much but I must to recover the years when I was not guitarist smile.gif

My program of study it's not the same every day. I make the same exercises daily but the time for practice them it's different as needed. Alternate picking, legato, bends, raking, funk 1 hour (for my guitar teacher from my country), improvisation every day alot. I don't look at watch until to finish my practice because if I do that I realise that it's very late and next morning I must go at my normal job.
Always when I have a hard day and I'm very tired I make less exercises and I compose something. This it's my way to relax. But in my program when I say improvise I mean not to play something just to wasting time. I record what I play and must have a structure like when composing a song. It's my way to training this skill, to keep the musicality in every little phrase.

Like a conclusion, I'm not nuts because I made for me a crazy program, I just wish with all my heart to became a good guitarist and musician. When I know this thing depend only on me I'm very harsh with myself. I'm not so young and I don't have time to loose but I know what I want for me wink.gif

This post has been edited by Monica Gheorghevici: Dec 6 2013, 04:30 PM

+Quote Post
metalheadlady
Dec 7 2013, 12:28 AM
I unfortunately have no good time set up for practice. I do when I can, which can range from every minute I'm not in school on a given day to absolutely no time. It doesn't help that I have all the seasons of Metalocalypse aside from 1 to watch yet. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Doug Lane
Dec 7 2013, 01:58 AM
QUOTE (metalheadlady @ Dec 6 2013, 11:28 PM) *
I unfortunately have no good time set up for practice. I do when I can, which can range from every minute I'm not in school on a given day to absolutely no time. It doesn't help that I have all the seasons of Metalocalypse aside from 1 to watch yet. rolleyes.gif

Try picking out some of the guitar parts while you're watching it! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
metalheadlady
Dec 7 2013, 02:18 AM
QUOTE (Doug Lane @ Dec 7 2013, 12:58 AM) *
Try picking out some of the guitar parts while you're watching it! tongue.gif

You are a genius.

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Dec 7 2013, 03:01 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Dec 6 2013, 04:30 PM) *
In my case I study many hours. Monday- Friday around 4-5 hours and in weekend not less than 10 hours. If I work for a collab, competition or I have something harder to work for my mentoring with Darek, very often forget to sleep smile.gif Never, but never I don't have a day for break. I changed my life very much but I must to recover the years when I was not guitarist smile.gif

My program of study it's not the same every day. I make the same exercises daily but the time for practice them it's different as needed. Alternate picking, legato, bends, raking, funk 1 hour (for my guitar teacher from my country), improvisation every day alot. I don't look at watch until to finish my practice because if I do that I realise that it's very late and next morning I must go at my normal job.
Always when I have a hard day and I'm very tired I make less exercises and I compose something. This it's my way to relax. But in my program when I say improvise I mean not to play something just to wasting time. I record what I play and must have a structure like when composing a song. It's my way to training this skill, to keep the musicality in every little phrase.

Like a conclusion, I'm not nuts because I made for me a crazy program, I just wish with all my heart to became a good guitarist and musician. When I know this thing depend only on me I'm very harsh with myself. I'm not so young and I don't have time to loose but I know what I want for me wink.gif

let me just say, your intuition is awesome, you need a little cleaning up with timing and bends, but intuition is something you cant really be taught, I have enjoyed your collabs so far and am looking forward to your future work

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Dec 7 2013, 04:15 AM
Learning Rock Star
While I'm at school, my exams and assignments can take over, but being on holidays right now, what's better to do than play hours of guitar! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Dec 7 2013, 08:42 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Dec 7 2013, 02:01 AM) *
let me just say, your intuition is awesome, you need a little cleaning up with timing and bends, but intuition is something you cant really be taught, I have enjoyed your collabs so far and am looking forward to your future work

Thank you, I'm really glad you enjoyed my takes for collabs smile.gif Yes, you have right, I have problems and I work to cleaning timing and bends and more other stuff smile.gif
I think you mean about intuition for improvisation. I don't know if this intuition can be taught, because I improvise my first melodic line for my father song when I had 7 year old and nobody told me how to do that. But I know one important thing. I'm not at level with composition that I wish and if I don't train this skill, the level it will be very low. Improvisation is the relaxing part for me. I can do that all day long without feeling tired. But sometimes after I exagerate with this relaxing thing, my nose bleeding......so I guess sometimes my body tell me I'm tired biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Hajduk
Dec 7 2013, 10:36 AM
Learning Rock Star
As of the last few months about 4 hrs a day, have slowed down recently due to Playstation 4 smile.gif and Christmas time, Bar manager so we get super busy. I find I can get super Obsessive with certain pieces, for instance I really want to be able to sweep pick extremely well and honestly I like slow sweep picking better than when its super fast but really want to be able to do it same as Legato because I love the way Joe satriani does his Legato I obsessively try to do that. Have been really focusing on strumming patterns because I feel I suck at it sad.gif

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Dec 7 2013, 01:16 PM
half an hour per day.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 7 2013, 03:53 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Dec 6 2013, 12:30 PM) *

Very nice post friend. It's very important to never forget to make music, sometimes we can become very obsessive with technique and practice and we forget the most important thing: connect with our individual soul and make music. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Dec 7 2013, 07:36 PM
QUOTE (metalheadlady @ Dec 7 2013, 02:18 AM) *
You are a genius.

He is Jean-Claude Van-Damme cool.gif

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Dec 7 2013, 07:46 PM
Learning Tone Master
I wake up early and try to get 2 hours before work, sometimes after work and on weekends I spend as much as my wife and 8 kids let me

+Quote Post
wollace03
Dec 7 2013, 08:34 PM

I have 2 to 5 hours a week in a normal week (when I am not travelling for work or doing some additional projects).... around christmas: less than that... I am happy if I find enough time for the rehearsals with the band.
or I have to use the time when my wife and kids are in bed....
but I enjoy every single minute of the time when I have a guitar in my hand...

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Dec 8 2013, 09:17 AM
Learning Roadie
My practice is so inconsistent in terms of frequency, duration and content. If I could just discipline myself I would turn into an awesome guitar player

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Dec 8 2013, 10:02 AM
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Dec 8 2013, 08:17 AM) *
My practice is so inconsistent in terms of frequency, duration and content. If I could just discipline myself I would turn into an awesome guitar player

i do feel the same way sad.gif

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:14 PM