Rediscovering The Art Of Playing Slow
JohnMathew
Nov 18 2020, 10:55 PM
GMC:er
Hi,

I have started to review the very bottom of my picking technique with Todd. I love how Todd puts a lot of effort into us trying to make us better guitarrists. In my case I'm starting a difficult journey. I'm starting to notice how hard it is to play slow and in time.

This has been my guitar life:

1) I learned some chords
2) Then I learned some solos
3) Then I though, gosh! I can play whatever and started to play some songs belonging to some of my guitar gods.
4) I realized something was not right. I wasn't able to do what my guitar gods do. I thought needed to put more time to improve
5) Beside all the time I put into playing guitar I wasn't improving too much. I gave up...
6) 3 or 4 months later I pickup guitar again and back to number 4 smile.gif.

This has been me, as a guitarrist for the last 20 years. Don't know why, but some of my friends that started at the same time I did to play guitar have developed an amazing technique. But in my case I didn't. Perhaps I lost focus, not sure.

And now here I am, playing one note per beat at 80 bpm smile.gif. It may seem very basic but man, playing slow and in time is not easy.

Sure you are wondering why I'm telling you this story. I'm doing it because I just want to know if others feel like me. And of course encourage all that are in the same boat I am to do not give up. As Todd says, sometimes you have to slow down to be able to speed up wink.gif.

What do you think guys?

Cheers!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by JohnMathew: Nov 18 2020, 11:43 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Phil66
Nov 24 2020, 08:25 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I didn't get the thing with all the exercises in it but I've made my own up. I have been picking on one string, I also like three notes per string three picks per note alternate, that way when you cross strings it changes direction of picking each time. I'm doing it for five minutes before practise. I'm going to start using the metronome with it too.

Cheers

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 25 2020, 12:54 AM
GMC:er
Cool! Using the stylus is how I started doing multi picking. Two, three, four strikes per note. String traverse is very tricky but it will train your hand to keep a shallow pick depth or the thing gets caught in the strings! Then when you move back to your regular pick, the hand has a better idea of what to do from muscle memory. keep it up!

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 24 2020, 03:25 AM) *
I didn't get the thing with all the exercises in it but I've made my own up. I have been picking on one string, I also like three notes per string three picks per note alternate, that way when you cross strings it changes direction of picking each time. I'm doing it for five minutes before practise. I'm going to start using the metronome with it too.

Cheers

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:47 AM