2 Pages V   1 2 >  
What Techniques Made Them Great ?
Ben Higgins
Aug 5 2013, 06:45 PM
Instructor
I focused my latest lesson on the guitar style of Dave Murray from Iron Maiden

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Dave-M...y-Style-Lesson/

As we know, Dave's style is essentially built around the skilful use of hammer ons... and pull offs. Just two humble everyday guitar techniques. Yet he's incorporated them in such a way that they sound incredibly smooth and rival the legato techniques of many guitar players who make use of 3 note per string shapes, myself included.

With just 2 simple techniques, he's built a guitar identity recognisable to most metal fans around the world.

What guitar players (any genre) can you think of that have built a unique identity using mainly 1 or 2 techniques ?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 5 2013, 09:46 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Very interesting thread and question! smile.gif

I think that John Frusciante has a very unique style that is built on very basic techniques. I would say the signature techniques for him are bending and long sustained notes (vibrato). He is really melodic and manages to make really powerful solos using basic techniques that are fairly doable.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Aug 5 2013, 10:20 PM
GMC:er
It's an interesting thread... I suggest that Hendrix wouldn't have sounded the same without his chord embellishments biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Headbanger: Aug 5 2013, 10:20 PM

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Aug 6 2013, 12:20 AM
Maybe Mr. Vai? He does a lot of stuff but on a smaller scale compared to sliding and whammy usage, but it sounds awesome and whammy became Steve's identity sort of smile.gif

--------------------

Download my free guitar and Floyd Rose setup guide: http://www.samsguitars.tk/

+Quote Post
klasaine
Aug 6 2013, 08:36 AM
I'd ague that we wouldn't know who any of these guys are if they couldn't' write a decent tune (write a melody)
and play musically. Those, IMO are the defining elements. There are literally thousands of players out there who utilize either the same techniques as the influential players or even have their own unique technical thing going on but no one really knows them because there's no compelling 'music' to go along with the technique.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Aug 6 2013, 08:42 AM

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 6 2013, 08:57 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Aug 6 2013, 08:36 AM) *
I'd ague that we wouldn't know who any of these guys are if they couldn't' write a decent tune (write a melody)
and play musically. Those, IMO are the defining elements. There are literally thousands of players out there who utilize either the same techniques as the influential players or even have their own unique technical thing going on but no one really knows them because there's no compelling 'music' to go along with the technique.

So that's the end of this thread, then !! laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Aug 6 2013, 09:05 AM
Yeah, i would agreee with klasaine, don't know which tecniques made them great, it's the songs who did...
That's probably why zillions of shredders can't "get out" of their shred world, they know millions of techniques, but it's the song writing which counts...

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 6 2013, 09:07 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Aug 6 2013, 07:57 AM) *
So that's the end of this thread, then !! laugh.gif laugh.gif

I have to agree with Ken biggrin.gif But if you want my opinion - a dude who is well know for his wonderful whammy technique is Michael Lee Firkins. I remember being totally in love with the works on his 1990 album - the self titled one. Here are my favorites:

+Quote Post
Nether
Aug 6 2013, 09:09 AM
B.B. King, John Frusciante and Slash might be using a similar set of techniques, but they sound very different. So I suppose that the technique is not the important thing, is how you use it laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 6 2013, 01:54 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Aug 6 2013, 04:36 AM) *

This is so true, but besides this I find very interesting what Ben said on this thread. There are some guitar players that make their own style and identity just repeating 2 or 3 techniques. Another example that I can give is Vah Halen, he can play different techniques but he made his recognizable style using tapping everywhere.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 6 2013, 03:26 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 6 2013, 01:54 PM) *
This is so true, but besides this I find very interesting what Ben said on this thread. There are some guitar players that make their own style and identity just repeating 2 or 3 techniques. Another example that I can give is Vah Halen, he can play different techniques but he made his recognizable style using tapping everywhere.

Yes Eddie was another that crossed my mind !

This is the kind of thing I mean. If you heard a guitarist play (regardless of the music behind it) you would know who it is. Because it didn't matter if Eddie was playing over a VH tune or Michael Jackson's Beat It, he sounded like Eddie and the world guitar world knows him.

Likewise with people like MAB or Rusty Cooley. Their individual tunes may not be as well known as their guitar playing itself. But unlike those guys I was looking for those players that used predominantly one or two techniques (not guitar virtuosos) most of the time and how well they made it work smile.gif

+Quote Post
klasaine
Aug 6 2013, 07:06 PM
Not the end of the thread at all:-)
These guys that pioneered a technique had/have something extraordinary in their head.
EVH was trying to play wide intervals as fast as Holdsworth and he couldn't do it with one hand ... so he used two. Technique in service of an idea.

* I do believe that solid body instruments and the volume levels available with them def influenced the newly emerging rock and roll music of the mid 50s.
Many say it was the adoption of the electric bass (fender bass) that allowed everybody else to 'get loud'.
Volume, maybe not a technique in itself but certainly causal, probably influenced what Hendrix, Townshend amnd Jeff Beck started to hear in their heads - ?

+Quote Post
bleez
Aug 6 2013, 07:08 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Dave Gilmour maybe? his bends and rakes are very recognisable. He doesnt seem to do anything too 'exotic' ( to borrow the phrase from Ben's lesson ). He can take very simple blues runs and he just 'Glimours' the hell out of them biggrin.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 6 2013, 07:22 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Aug 6 2013, 07:06 PM) *
EVH was trying to play wide intervals as fast as Holdsworth and he couldn't do it with one hand ... so he used two. Technique in service of an idea.

Very interesting insight, I didn't realise that smile.gif

He also said he used to try and emulate Eric Clapton.... it's amazing how trying to mimic someone in your own way can produce amazing new results, totally different from the original source of inspiration.

QUOTE (bleez @ Aug 6 2013, 07:08 PM) *
Dave Gilmour maybe? his bends and rakes are very recognisable. He doesnt seem to do anything too 'exotic' ( to borrow the phrase from Ben's lesson ). He can take very simple blues runs and he just 'Glimours' the hell out of them biggrin.gif

Very true... just good ol' plain string bending.. and he's made it almost synonymous with his name ! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Zaek
Aug 6 2013, 08:05 PM
Hm, atleast in my mind, no one can play the killswitch like Buckethead. As far I know, his usage of that is quite unique. :-)
Spoiler:
But that's not really what makes him great though!

This post has been edited by Zaek: Aug 6 2013, 08:06 PM

+Quote Post
leonard478
Aug 6 2013, 10:52 PM
Learning Rock Star
Preston Reed and his 2 handed slap guitaring !

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Aug 5 2013, 05:45 PM) *
I focused my latest lesson on the guitar style of Dave Murray from Iron Maiden

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Dave-M...y-Style-Lesson/

As we know, Dave's style is essentially built around the skilful use of hammer ons... and pull offs. Just two humble everyday guitar techniques. Yet he's incorporated them in such a way that they sound incredibly smooth and rival the legato techniques of many guitar players who make use of 3 note per string shapes, myself included.

With just 2 simple techniques, he's built a guitar identity recognisable to most metal fans around the world.

What guitar players (any genre) can you think of that have built a unique identity using mainly 1 or 2 techniques ?

+Quote Post
waynedcoville
Aug 7 2013, 01:20 AM
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Aug 6 2013, 08:05 AM) *
Yeah, i would agreee with klasaine, don't know which tecniques made them great, it's the songs who did...
That's probably why zillions of shredders can't "get out" of their shred world, they know millions of techniques, but it's the song writing which counts...

agreed. Kurt Cobain wrote of of the most memorable songs ever and he was a very simple player

--------------------
Carvin 6 string bass (walnut neck and body w/burl maple top)
Carvin 5 string AE fretless bass(mahogany neck and body w/ quilt maple top)
Dean 8 string bass
Danelectro BassVI
Washburn 5 string acoustic bass
Hartke HA3500 w/ 4-10x1-15
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Zoom B9.1ut / Crybaby
Monster cables

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 7 2013, 04:22 AM
Instructor
And what about this guy?

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 7 2013, 07:38 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 7 2013, 03:22 AM) *
And what about this guy?

I was going to say that aside Buckethead, Morello is the King of the Kill.....switch biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Aug 8 2013, 10:33 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 7 2013, 08:38 AM) *
I was going to say that aside Buckethead, Morello is the King of the Kill.....switch biggrin.gif

Never heard of the 'Kill switch'...is it a foot pedal? Hows it used? Does anyone have one to demo? huh.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:16 PM