How Do You Start Writing A Song?
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 18 2011, 10:43 PM
Instructor
When I feel inspired and I want to start writing an acoustic song, I sometimes pick up my acoustic guitar and fiddle around with my voice until I can get a good vocal line.

I've always felt an irresistible attraction towards the intimate sound that an acoustic guitar can release, so it's always a rewarding experience, even if the result turns out to be just a simple chord progression. smile.gif

What's your approach when dealing with writing acoustic stuff?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 18 2011, 11:02 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Complete and total immersion in atmosphere.

Before there's music, before there is words - I know exactly what the song will feel like, and I go on that alone. First - (and this all takes place in my head) I imagine colors that I associate with this feeling, then the colors will form blends, more complex until they create a picture. Usually something vague, like some galactic landscape, a persons eye or mouth, or anything really - It varies wildly.

Then, secondly, the pictures move and I create details: Location, time, characters, a plot. Third - all this basically turns into a movie that I play over in my head, the characters now have faces and names, and even dialogue. Then lastly, I start envisioning the soundtrack to this imaginary movie.

And that's my song. I will forget the names and faces I imagine to create this story, but every time I listen to the finished product I will always have that atmosphere, that feeling, and I can see everything in my head again as clear as day.

It's the greatest feeling in the world to me smile.gif I only hope one day I become proficient enough to vividly convey everything I conjure In my head.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jul 19 2011, 04:31 AM
GMC:er
I grab my guitar! and "create" a Riff, then im going take a shower, and is when i am in the shower that creativity strikes...

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 19 2011, 06:16 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 18 2011, 06:43 PM) *
When I feel inspired and I want to start writing an acoustic song, I sometimes pick up my acoustic guitar and fiddle around with my voice until I can get a good vocal line.

I've always felt an irresistible attraction towards the intimate sound that an acoustic guitar can release, so it's always a rewarding experience, even if the result turns out to be just a simple chord progression. smile.gif

What's your approach when dealing with writing acoustic stuff?

I start writing a song exactly like you most of the times! I also feel that there is some magic that appears when I try to compose melodies and chord progressions with the acoustic guitar.. I don't know why but I feel much more inspired when I jam with the acoustic... however the songs always end being played in electric guitar...

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Mike RR24
Jul 20 2011, 01:58 AM
Learning Roadie
I'm new at this and have no Theory back ground however I fiddled around on my electric guitar and conjured up a riff and then
try to figure words for it later. Not sure even how to do this. I've done it once and it just came to me while I was messing around on the guitar.

smile.gif

--------------------
Michael Connell - Ciudad Juarez Chihuahua, Mexico

Gear: Jackson Pro RR24.
Ibanez XPT700.
Mexican Fender Strat 2008 Model.
Marshall MA 100 Watt Head w/Crate Blackheart slanted cab 300 Watts.
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
Digitech Metal Master Heavy Metal Distortion Pedal.
THD Hotplate 16 Ohms.
BOSS BR-1600CD Home Studio
DigiTech GSP1101 Guitar Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech Control2 Remote Foot Controller
TC-Helicon VoiceWorks Plus Vocal Processor
Switch-3 Pedal for VoiceWorks Plus Vocal Processor
ISP Technologies Decimator Noise Reduction Pedal

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 20 2011, 10:07 AM
Instructor
Most of my riffs are accidents that happen when jamming, including acoustic ! smile.gif

QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jul 18 2011, 11:02 PM) *
Complete and total immersion in atmosphere.

Before there's music, before there is words - I know exactly what the song will feel like, and I go on that alone. First - (and this all takes place in my head) I imagine colors that I associate with this feeling, then the colors will form blends, more complex until they create a picture. Usually something vague, like some galactic landscape, a persons eye or mouth, or anything really - It varies wildly.

Then, secondly, the pictures move and I create details: Location, time, characters, a plot. Third - all this basically turns into a movie that I play over in my head, the characters now have faces and names, and even dialogue. Then lastly, I start envisioning the soundtrack to this imaginary movie.

And that's my song. I will forget the names and faces I imagine to create this story, but every time I listen to the finished product I will always have that atmosphere, that feeling, and I can see everything in my head again as clear as day.

It's the greatest feeling in the world to me smile.gif I only hope one day I become proficient enough to vividly convey everything I conjure In my head.

I can't pretend that I apply this to everything I do because I don't... but in recent years I have come to think of riffs and musical passages as if I were directing a movie. What would the camera be showing at that given moment etc..? A riff that repeats for a long time is setting a scene, a mood smile.gif I think it's an incredible way to look at music.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 20 2011, 12:18 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mike RR24 @ Jul 20 2011, 12:58 AM) *
I'm new at this and have no Theory back ground however I fiddled around on my electric guitar and conjured up a riff and then
try to figure words for it later. Not sure even how to do this. I've done it once and it just came to me while I was messing around on the guitar.

smile.gif

Well, fiddling around, can usually bring out nice ideas, the thing is, that after that you have to pay a little attention, isolate the ones which you feel that are naturally sticking to your memory and try to develop them from there smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 20 2011, 02:40 PM
Instructor
I don't have acoustic guitar, so cannot comment on that, but I enjoy composing on an electric guitar too cool.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
moleman
Jul 21 2011, 05:13 AM
Learning Roadie
When you guys are creating songs, do you write out parts that you want to remember?
And if so, do you write TAB or proper music?

I have been recording riffs with my phone or pc, and then explaining how to play it to myself. It is a bit embarrassing to listen to again though smile.gif
Writing proper music seems cooler.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 21 2011, 07:51 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (moleman @ Jul 21 2011, 04:13 AM) *
When you guys are creating songs, do you write out parts that you want to remember?

I have been recording riffs with my phone or pc, and then explaining how to play it to myself. It is a bit embarrassing to listen to again though smile.gif

Well, in my opinion, writing music is a good exercise but, if you can record, it's a lot easier. Writing down music will teach you a lot of stuff and of course, if you want to perform with other musicians who can read scores, it's the nicest and most elegant way of collaborating wink.gif

+Quote Post
noztnac
Jul 25 2011, 03:28 AM
GMC:er
I almost never start writing with a guitar in hand. I have found that when I do I tend to fall into familiar patterns.

It is my preference to begin with a melody- away from the guitar. I sing the melody into a little digital recorder.
Actually I will sing 50 or so little melodies throughout the week. Then I set aside a day to go back and pick the best melodies.
THEN I pick up the guitar and work out the chords that go underneath.

At that point I start sketching out a structure.

This method is probably not the way most people write but it is worth a try if you find yourself writing the same types of things over and over.

I have also found that I think of the best melodies when I'm driving... something about the motion and scenery flying by. So maybe try carrying a little digital recorder with you next time you are out driving.

Don't wreck:)

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jul 25 2011, 08:19 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
I just play, and sometimes good riffs/melodies appear smile.gif
When that happens I build on them and in the end I sometimes have a song.

I've been playing more and more acoustic guitar lately to be honest.
I'm even thinking about about selling/trading my Nik Huber Junior Korina guitar for a top end acoustic.

I'll post some of my playing again once I've started recording again smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 25 2011, 09:04 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (noztnac @ Jul 25 2011, 03:28 AM) *
I almost never start writing with a guitar in hand. I have found that when I do I tend to fall into familiar patterns.

It is my preference to begin with a melody- away from the guitar. I sing the melody into a little digital recorder.
Actually I will sing 50 or so little melodies throughout the week. Then I set aside a day to go back and pick the best melodies.
THEN I pick up the guitar and work out the chords that go underneath.

At that point I start sketching out a structure.

This method is probably not the way most people write but it is worth a try if you find yourself writing the same types of things over and over.

I have also found that I think of the best melodies when I'm driving... something about the motion and scenery flying by. So maybe try carrying a little digital recorder with you next time you are out driving.

Don't wreck:)

That's a really interesting way of doing it, definitely worth trying smile.gif

QUOTE (moleman @ Jul 21 2011, 05:13 AM) *

I never write or tab out things, I just record them. I've lost count of how many potential band memebrs have asked me 'Do you have any tabs for the songs' ..... and I always think, 'Of course not - why would I ?'

But I see how useful it is to have GPro files etc now... smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 25 2011, 11:00 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (moleman @ Jul 21 2011, 06:13 AM) *

I don't really write music in note system, never really got fast with it. I could do it, but it would take me couple of hours to write down a solo, which is not efficient. The most efficient thing for me is to record it, or if it's tricky part - to tab it in guitar pro.

I've been using my phone to record some stuff as well, and it works cool, that's a good way if you're away from the computer. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Jul 25 2011, 11:00 AM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
zoom
Jul 25 2011, 11:21 AM
Learning Roadie
I write songs on acoustic mostly. I find the hard part is getting good lyrics and good structure. It's a real art for sure. Another thing I struggle with is how to add drums to my ideas. I guess this is the structure side. Hats off to the great backing tracks and mixes the instructors come up with! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 25 2011, 11:21 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jul 25 2011, 10:00 AM) *
I don't really write music in note system, never really got fast with it. I could do it, but it would take me couple of hours to write down a solo, which is not efficient. The most efficient thing for me is to record it, or if it's tricky part - to tab it in guitar pro.

I've been using my phone to record some stuff as well, and it works cool, that's a good way if you're away from the computer. smile.gif

I've got a looong experience with walking on the street or being in the most unusual of places and having to record an idea so i wouldn't lose it biggrin.gif it may look weird to people, but at least you have your ideas somewhere. The tricky part is, that devices such as phones don't have multi track recording facilities and you'll most likely forget the harmony which you heard along...so when you'll listen to it again, chances are you won't find your idea so enticing just because it doesn't have a harmonic support anymore... pffff

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Jul 25 2011, 07:23 PM
Instructor
i compose in the same way, acoustic some times, electric some times (gets me distracted tho), and piano a lot of times, i love composing on the piano and i dont really know how to play it, but i love the super-simple pop melodies i can get from an instrument that i dont know very well, it limits my technique so my imagination has to play it.

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jul 26 2011, 12:14 AM
Learning Roadie
I don't have an acoustic guitar, but when I write music, I start with a main theme and write the song as I go. I change things along the way too.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:08 PM