> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

21 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Monkeydathos' Road To Awesomeness
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 13 2012, 09:31 AM
Instructor
Hey mate!

Ear training and theory are what you need smile.gif go see a doc first of all so you can have a pretty accurate idea regarding when you can start playing guitar again and under what circumstances.

Let's try this:

Task 1

Take the circle of fifths and figure out all the scales from C major to B major and their relative minor scales, by applying the major scale formula (w w h w w w h)

Learn all the notes so that you may be able to tell me for instance on the spot, which is the minor third of the C# minor scale

Task 2 Sing these scales smile.gif Against a backing track - is you have Band in a box (a software) you can work out wonders for your ear training. Let me know if you can get it and we'll go on from there

Cosmin

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Apr 13 2012, 08:12 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 13 2012, 09:31 AM) *
Hey mate!

Ear training and theory are what you need smile.gif go see a doc first of all so you can have a pretty accurate idea regarding when you can start playing guitar again and under what circumstances.

Let's try this:

Task 1

Take the circle of fifths and figure out all the scales from C major to B major and their relative minor scales, by applying the major scale formula (w w h w w w h)

Learn all the notes so that you may be able to tell me for instance on the spot, which is the minor third of the C# minor scale

Task 2 Sing these scales smile.gif Against a backing track - is you have Band in a box (a software) you can work out wonders for your ear training. Let me know if you can get it and we'll go on from there

Cosmin

Roger boss, i will spend this weekend studying! i had band in a box in my old laptop :/ i will try google to see if i can do some stuff about it.

And as soon as my arms get better, i shall post the videos of MM4 and BVO

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 14 2012, 11:26 AM
Instructor
Alright man! Let me know how you're faring with Tasks 1 and 2 so I can send 3 and 4 your way biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Apr 15 2012, 05:59 PM
Ok so far:

Task 1:

C D E F G A B C ---- Relative Minor = A B C D E F G A

D E F# G A B C# D ---- Relative Minor = B C# D E F# G A B

E F# G# A B C# D# E ---- Relative Minor = C# D# E F# G# A B C#

F G A Bb C D E F -----Relative Minor = D E F G A Bb C D

G A B C D E F# G ----- Relative Minor = E F# G A B C D E

A B C# D# E F# G A ----- Relative Minor = F# G A B C# D# E F

B C# D# E F# G# A# B ----- Relative Minor = G# A# B C# D# E F# G#

This is what i have memorize so far....; just having a little break then goin to jump into last ones

Task 2: Still downloading ...

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Apr 15 2012, 06:01 PM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 16 2012, 12:20 PM
Instructor
Hey mate that's good, but the one thing which I think you missed tongue.gif was using the circle in the following way: Start with C major and then with the scale generated by it's fifth - G major tongue.gif

The discoveries are correct anyway, so let's see how you fare with singing them against chords!

Cosmin

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Apr 20 2012, 08:41 PM
Roger! Still working in Task 1

btw i got Band in a box today! but i have no idea how to work with it so far (got to explore it)! how should i use it for task 2?

--------------------

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Apr 21 2012, 02:36 AM
Major Scales (Ionian Mode) (Root, Major 2, Major 3, Perfect 4, Perfect 5, Major 6, Major 7, Root)

C D E F G A B C ---> G A B C D E F# G ---> D E F# G A B C# D ---> A B C# D E F# G# A ---> E F# G# A B C# D# E ---> B C# D# E F# G# A# B ---> F# G# A C# D# F F# ----> C# D# F F# G# A# C C# ---> G# A# C C# D# F G G# --->D# F G G# A# C D D# ---> A# C D D# F G A A# --> F G A A# C D E --->C D E F G A B C

Perfect Fifths

C G

G D

D A

A E

E B

B F#

F# C#

C# G#

G# D#

D# A#

A# D#

F C

Relative Minor (Aeolian Mode) (Root, Major 2, minor 3, Perfect 4, Perfect 5, minor 6, minor 7, Root)

A B C D E F G A --->E F# G A B C D E ---> B C# D E F# G A B ---> F# G# A B C# D E F# ---> C# D# E F# G# A B C# ---> G# A# B C# D# E F# G# ---> D# F F# G# A# B C# D# ---> A# C C# D# F F# G# ---> F G G# A# C C# D# F ---> C D D# F G G# A# --> G A A# C D D# F G ---> D E F G A A# C D ---> A B C D E F G A

Relative minors

C A

G E

D B

A F#

E C#

B G#

F# D#

C# A#

G# F

D# C

A# G

F D

C A

Still got alot of stuff to memorize ._.; please correct any mistake (i did the scales mentaly so i am not sure if they are 100% correct)

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Apr 21 2012, 02:38 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Apr 21 2012, 06:55 PM
hey Cosmin a little question.

Is it correct to say for example that a D# Major Scale = Eb Major Scale and so on??

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Apr 21 2012, 07:22 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Apr 21 2012, 09:34 PM
Ok, hope you don't mind that i use this as a kind of journal xD

From today: I got pretty much all perfect fifths, i won't say that i able to say them all in the first 3 sec biggrin.gif but i am working on that; also i think i also got all Perfect 4ºs intervals since they are basically an inversion of the perfect fifths

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 22 2012, 02:56 PM
Instructor
Hey mate! Use this as a practice journal as well! It's very easy for me to come in and take a look at your progress smile.gif

I'll come back after I eat something with input on everything!

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 22 2012, 06:14 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Apr 21 2012, 05:55 PM) *
hey Cosmin a little question.

Is it correct to say for example that a D# Major Scale = Eb Major Scale and so on??

Hey man! It is ok to do that - the enharmonic relations they are called and they go like this:

D# = Eb

F# = Gb

C# = Db

G# = Ab

Now as an advice on the scales written above, you should start transforming the scales once you have reached F# major. By that, I mean think everything related to Gb major instead wink.gif this will give you Gb Ab Bb Cb Db Eb F Gb instead of F# G# A# B C# D# E# F#. In the cases above I have used the seldom used Cb name in order to be able to write the scale instead of B and the E# instead of the F. They are used solely for theoretical purposes.

Please take a look at the scales and re-write them as there are mistakes here and there smile.gif apply the W W H W W W H formula, bearing in mind that you may use names such as Cb or E# in order to bring out all the notes in the scale.

let me know if there's anything unclear, k? Bear with me, as you'll be free of these aspects once you understand the mechanisms behind the scale formation smile.gif

Cosmin

PS: the fifths are all good!

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Apr 22 2012, 06:14 PM

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Apr 23 2012, 12:10 AM
Okay my question now is why?

F# G# A# B C# D# E# F#. = why can't the E# be F

Edit: wait i did some thinkin xD not sure if this the reason.

In major scale you have to have an C D E F G A B C if got 2 of the same like C C# its "not correct" laugh.gif damn i am confuse.

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Apr 23 2012, 12:20 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 23 2012, 07:25 AM
Instructor
Hey mate, it's E# just to respect the order of the notes in the major scale smile.gif the value of the note is really F but we name it E# just to have all the usual notes in the scale - it's just a notation wink.gif try to re-think all the scales keeping in mind that you need to follow a 'C D E F G A B C' structure in the case of the major scale - let me know if you get stuck, k?

Cosmin

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Apr 23 2012, 07:27 AM

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Apr 23 2012, 03:02 PM
i think i get it! i will post it later.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 23 2012, 08:08 PM
Instructor
Alright mate!

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Apr 28 2012, 12:34 AM
Okay my brain is having some trouble accepting some of the stuff biggrin.gif (lets approach this theoretically)

Gb Ab Bb Cb Db Eb F Gb instead of F# G# A# B C# D# E# F#

Lets see D#=Eb and Eb=D#, but E# = F and Fb = E so is E#≠Fb or is it equal?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 28 2012, 10:54 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Apr 27 2012, 11:34 PM) *
Okay my brain is having some trouble accepting some of the stuff biggrin.gif (lets approach this theoretically)

Gb Ab Bb Cb Db Eb F Gb instead of F# G# A# B C# D# E# F#

Lets see D#=Eb and Eb=D#, but E# = F and Fb = E so is E#≠Fb or is it equal?

Theoretically they are making sense, although I would suggest that you don't transform things into that direction wink.gif try and switch to flats or sharps whenever you see that you will encounter these unusual notations.

Gb major is correct like that and F# major is also correct like that

Now, F# major would be a bit rare to encounter I recon tongue.gif so most probably you won't end up using E#, but it's important that you started to understand how the mechanisms are working wink.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Apr 28 2012, 07:51 PM
C D E F G A B C
G A B C D E F# G
D A B F# G A B C# D
A B C# D E F# G# A
E F# G# A B C# D# E
B C# D# E F# G# A# B
F#/Gb --> Gb Ab Bb Cb Db Eb F Gb
Db Ab Bb F Gb Ab C Db
Ab Bb C Db Eb F G Ab
Eb F G Ab Bb C D Eb
Bb C D Eb G F A Bb
F G A Bb C D E F
C D E F G A B C

PS: my arms are getting better! should be able to play again in few days.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Apr 28 2012, 10:12 PM
ignore D A B F# G A B C# D LOL it's D E F# G A B C# D

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Apr 28 2012, 10:37 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 30 2012, 08:22 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Apr 28 2012, 09:12 PM) *
ignore D A B F# G A B C# D LOL it's D E F# G A B C# D

laugh.gif Indeed it is man biggrin.gif glad to know you're feeling better! Listen, I was thinking that now that you got your scales rounded up, it would be the right time to start harmonizing them biggrin.gif first, using thirds wink.gif

Are you familiarized with the notion of harmonizing a scale? If yes, let's see how it goes for ....let's see biggrin.gif G major smile.gif Can you tell me how the thirds are arranged wink.gif let's see!

Cosmin

+Quote Post

21 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:18 AM