2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Different Alternate Picking Methods, If You even thought You do something wrong You'll be more confused
Darius Wave
Sep 14 2013, 10:26 AM
Instructor
Hey folks! Many time we were talking about the picking about the elbow, forearm, wrist, fingers picking methods. I just wanted to collect a few vids that will show ...taht NOTHING is quite sure (especially which one is best) when we deal with some huge players playing absolutley different and all having total results in this so:

John Petrucci: as You see all the hand is "frozen" - He plays with his whole arm:

------------------------------------------------------

Yngwie Malmsteen - based on the wrist (look how the wrist is angled and at his resting point). It looks like he uses pretty straight pick to strings angle and sometimes he uses also arm foaccents:

Paul Gilbert - uses mostly wrist but his hand rests rather on the "fat" part of the palm. He also changes angle of his pick while going from low to high strings. He use huge pick angle and get's pretty harsh tone.

Steve Morse - That's a weird situation. Need no comment - just look at those long fingers and pick between thumb and the FLAT part of index finger.

Marty Friedman - looks like he doesn't mute low strings at all (look where is the resting point of his hand...how low. Anyway...You can't hear too much noises so...he probably plays so damn hard...that he doesn't need to mute that much biggrin.gif. To be honest it look very weird but indeed this position is comfortable. You can use full range of wrist movement (up and down):

Those are probably 4 most diffrent picking methods. You can add Yours - please try to post only the "different ones" smile.gif if You have something in Your mind smile.gif Also add some description smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Darius Wave: Sep 14 2013, 10:27 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nimrandir
Sep 14 2013, 03:18 PM
GMC:er
I'd add Michael Angelo, his technique seems to be quite different from the others. It looks like he uses mostly fingers in the picking motion and moves the whole locked arm to position it on the correct string (although I might be wrong) :

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Sep 14 2013, 03:41 PM
Learning Tone Master
and none of these are workin for me ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 14 2013, 06:00 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Sep 14 2013, 04:41 PM) *

Maybe you should try this then:

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Sep 15 2013, 05:16 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero

Tosin Abasi picking style is odd to me. Seems like he mostly picks from his wrist. But, it is even more strange to me that his thumb seems to be contorted on a 90 degree angle on a couple of the close-ups (maybe he is double jointed). If I tried to mimic his picking method I would not be able to play well at all. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Sep 15 2013, 06:24 AM
Learning Roadie
I see he's not a thumb over the top of the neck player laugh.gif

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 15 2013, 11:01 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Sep 15 2013, 06:16 AM) *

Tosin Abasi picking style is odd to me. Seems like he mostly picks from his wrist. But, it is even more strange to me that his thumb seems to be contorted on a 90 degree angle on a couple of the close-ups (maybe he is double jointed). If I tried to mimic his picking method I would not be able to play well at all. smile.gif

I don't think he's double jointed as such. Quite a lot of people have thumbs that bend over like that (maybe not quite as much). Maybe they're all double jointed then and I'm the only one who's not!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Sep 15 2013, 12:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Nimrandir @ Sep 14 2013, 02:18 PM) *
I'd add Michael Angelo, his technique seems to be quite different from the others. It looks like he uses mostly fingers in the picking motion and moves the whole locked arm to position it on the correct string (although I might be wrong) :

Good Add! Indeed another, different example

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Sep 14 2013, 02:41 PM) *

Because no matter which of those You would choose, it's still a lot of hard work and regular practice to achieve and keep the technique. yOU COULD EVEN PLAY WITH yOUR LEGS (IT WAS PROOVEN) if You would spend enough time on practice. The main problem = You need as much time...as You need. Different amount for any of us. Sometimes people change the technique after years of playing so it's very hard to judge at the beginnig stage do any of these work for You. I hope You'll get to the point You want someday but...it's just gonna take some time smile.gif

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 14 2013, 05:00 PM) *
Maybe you should try this then:

Indeed needs a lot of practice for sure biggrin.gif

QUOTE (DeGroot @ Sep 15 2013, 04:16 AM) *

Another good example...He looks like he doing and exact opposite than most of us...pick angle with extremely shaped thumb biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Oct 5 2013, 02:47 PM
Instructor
So anybody knows some more different approaches to picking ?smile.gif

+Quote Post
SteveGuitar
Oct 5 2013, 03:11 PM
That Paul Gilbert Vid was awesome biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by SteveGuitar: Oct 5 2013, 03:12 PM

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Oct 5 2013, 04:00 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (SteveGuitar @ Oct 5 2013, 02:11 PM) *
That Paul Gilbert Vid was awesome biggrin.gif

Love his killer sense of humor smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 6 2013, 04:31 PM
Instructor

I notice Guthrie when he somehow puts out his right hand fingers when picking - it looks like he is always ready to hybrid pick if he needs to - what do you think guys?

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Oct 6 2013, 06:37 PM
Instructor
Very interesting vid. Thanx for sharing Cosmin!

+Quote Post
Hajduk
Oct 6 2013, 08:08 PM
Learning Rock Star
What about Sarod picking?? What's up with that!

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Oct 6 2013, 08:28 PM
Instructor
Ha ha smile.gif That's what I use very often but I call it "circle picking" smile.gif

+Quote Post
Britishampfan
Oct 7 2013, 01:46 AM
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Oct 6 2013, 07:28 PM) *
Ha ha smile.gif That's what I use very often but I call it "circle picking" smile.gif

Before I knew about all this stuff way before the internet and the vast knowledge of it, my natural picking style is circle picking, my teacher tried to break me of it!

Fast forward 15 years and I was soloing at a gig, and some dude afterward was going, Dude you circle pick! I`m like yeah ok, he says oh man Eddie and other great shredders do it.

I`m like ok?? I never tried to learn it.

I have a bunch of different picking styles now but when I need speed it goes back to circle. ha ha

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Oct 7 2013, 08:24 AM
Instructor
I found that for me the wrist and circle combo works best:

but I add circle picking only at higher speeds.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 7 2013, 09:22 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 6 2013, 04:31 PM) *

I notice Guthrie when he somehow puts out his right hand fingers when picking - it looks like he is always ready to hybrid pick if he needs to - what do you think guys?

Guthrie plays with a very parallel hand position. In my experience this gives the most control over tone and the brightest, fullest tone. It can be difficult for crossing strings, especially in an 'inside' picking situation but easier for 'outside' picking.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 7 2013, 09:31 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Oct 7 2013, 08:22 AM) *
Guthrie plays with a very parallel hand position. In my experience this gives the most control over tone and the brightest, fullest tone. It can be difficult for crossing strings, especially in an 'inside' picking situation but easier for 'outside' picking.

To me, it felt like a great way of switching between hybrid/chicken picking and strictly plectrum based techniques. There is something more - have you noticed how 'organic' Guthrie's techniques sound? They somehow don't have anything 'machinal' or mechanical in them. I guess this must be the main reason for which I like this guy's playing so much..

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 7 2013, 09:40 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 7 2013, 09:31 AM) *
To me, it felt like a great way of switching between hybrid/chicken picking and strictly plectrum based techniques. There is something more - have you noticed how 'organic' Guthrie's techniques sound? They somehow don't have anything 'machinal' or mechanical in them. I guess this must be the main reason for which I like this guy's playing so much..

Yeah I agree. I think it is the best strategic hand position of them all in terms of how much control you get and how easy it is to switch to other techniques like sweeping.

Guthrie, well... the guy is a monster player - what can we say ?? smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 06:48 PM