Solo Albums
AIB234
Jun 19 2008, 12:22 AM
GMC:er
I am just listening to John Petrucci's Suspended Animation and as much as he is my favourite guitarist, I find I get slightly bored with solo albums in general.

Albums that are purely instrumental just seem to be missing something.

Am I the only one in this boat or am I the one missing something about them?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Jun 19 2008, 12:24 AM
Get to da Chopper!
okay great album for sure- but if you listened a million times then it will get stale.

Check out Erotic Cakes by Guthrie Govan.

Perfection.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
AIB234
Jun 19 2008, 12:30 AM
Actually I am sad to report it was my first.

And it's not just this album, but stuff by Yngwie and other artists doesn't catch me too often to just sit and listen to.

+Quote Post
chmilew
Jun 19 2008, 12:32 AM
I must agree with that, I prefer Petrucci with DT smile.gif

BTW Erotic Cakes is an amazing piece of music biggrin.gif A must have !

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jun 19 2008, 05:39 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Well I guess Instrumental music isnt for everyone, Ive listened to pretty much every Steve Vai album and I still haven't tired of them, Same with other artists like Satch, Guthrie Govan, and Liquid Tension Experiment, I guess its just a matter of personal taste.

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jun 19 2008, 09:41 AM
I can't usually listen to an entire album of guitar instrumental music but some instrumental music provides a great melodic musical landscape that is just beautiful. In guitar music I tend to prefer with words but there are great instrumentals out there. Like Altitudes by Jason Becker and Transylvania by Iron Maiden smile.gif Voice Of The Soul by Death also smile.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Jun 19 2008, 12:12 PM
Instructor
Instrumental albums can be just as interesting as ordinary albums to me if done right.
I never get tired of the Liquid Tension Experiement albums and Satriani's Surfing with the Alien and the Extremist.

But if i were to listen to 10 instrumental tracks from lets say.. Yngwie Malmsteen in a row, it would be a different matter smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Jun 19 2008, 01:44 PM
Singing Instructor
I think that instrumental albums haw there special audience,but,there is some thing else here IMO,every band member that did solo album(all most every),they did not go that well as the albums with there bans.Like Chris Cornell,to me his work in Sondgarden and Audioslave is much better then his solo albums.IMO

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
VinceG
Jun 19 2008, 05:44 PM
I like all kinds of instrumental albums. May it be Satch or Mogwai. I find that instrumental music more enjoyable and relaxing than music with lyrics. Although, it also depends on what I feel like listening smile.gif.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 19 2008, 05:58 PM
Instructor
Not to talk about RHCP and Frusciante. He did a dozen of solo albums, but his work with RHCP is what counts the most.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Jun 19 2008, 06:20 PM
Singing Instructor
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jun 19 2008, 06:58 PM) *
Not to talk about RHCP and Frusciante. He did a dozen of solo albums, but his work with RHCP is what counts the most.

Exactly,there is some thing that when all the band members contribute to the song(no matter who wright the basic)that makes the song and the vibe much better.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Kizaze44
Jun 19 2008, 06:42 PM
Check out Andy Timmons "Resolution". I can't stop listening to it!

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Jun 19 2008, 06:48 PM
I like instrumental albums that doesn't suck, those who do suck tend to bore me. Just as it's with non instrumental albums.

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jun 20 2008, 07:26 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
QUOTE (Fsgdjv @ Jun 19 2008, 09:48 AM) *
I like instrumental albums that doesn't suck, those who do suck tend to bore me. Just as it's with non instrumental albums.

Words of wisdom laugh.gif

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jun 20 2008, 07:30 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (Fsgdjv @ Jun 19 2008, 07:48 PM) *

Haha, good one biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
wrk
Jun 20 2008, 08:37 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Kizaze44 @ Jun 19 2008, 07:42 PM) *
Check out Andy Timmons "Resolution". I can't stop listening to it!

the same here .. i'm not so much in solo albums in general, but this one from Andy Timmons is just great. Especially the overall sound of it.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 06:06 PM