2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Bone Nut Vs Plastic Nut
Sensible Jones
Sep 7 2012, 12:15 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (zoom @ Sep 7 2012, 11:45 AM) *
If I didn't change strings before a gig then I was going to brake a string ever time and always on the bridge.

Current acoustic guitars Yamaha LSX36C and Ovation Standard Balladeer.

Check the edges on the Bridge, make sure they're nicely rounded and not sharp. Then check the String Grooves the same way, any sharpish edge will create a pressure point on the string and gradually cause it to break at that point!

Nice pair of guitars! I have a Balladeer also and it's never broken a string in anger!! This is quite surprising really as it's had a hard life and been bashed about a bit!!
biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Sensible Jones: Sep 7 2012, 12:16 PM

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
zoom
Sep 7 2012, 02:04 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Sep 7 2012, 12:15 PM) *
Check the edges on the Bridge, make sure they're nicely rounded and not sharp. Then check the String Grooves the same way, any sharpish edge will create a pressure point on the string and gradually cause it to break at that point!

Nice pair of guitars! I have a Balladeer also and it's never broken a string in anger!! This is quite surprising really as it's had a hard life and been bashed about a bit!!
biggrin.gif

I did check that out (sharp edges) but really I seemed to break strings on any guitar. So it must have been my strumming technique.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Sep 7 2012, 02:25 PM
I had a Gibson LP not to far back but far enough! laugh.gif

I could never keep the g-string in tune. I could stretch the string all day long still would go out. I took it to a friend of mine who is a luthier. He worked on the nut and it still did it for me. So he told me the only way to fix it was either use graphite or get a new nut which he recommended a bone nut.

He claimed that it would increase sustain, keep the strings in tune longer/better, and also that bends wouldn't cut out as fast because of how smooth they are made.

I used the graphite trick till I traded it for a better guitar tho.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Sep 7 2012, 02:57 PM
QUOTE (zoom @ Sep 7 2012, 02:04 PM) *
I did check that out (sharp edges) but really I seemed to break strings on any guitar. So it must have been my strumming technique.

Ah, fair enough! I guess we should call you 'Lead hand' instead of 'Leadbelly', eh??
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 7 2012, 05:24 PM
Instructor
Guys, I am really happy - I have compared the feeling of my bone nut with the same model today at the dealer, having the plastic nut. Less sustain indeed and less depth indeed!

+Quote Post
derper
Sep 8 2012, 07:19 AM
Learning Tone Master
Such a small, "insignificant", and rather inexpensive upgrade can make quite a difference!

I know that many (and some GREAT players) lean towards the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mantra.... yet your story is one of many reasons that I encourage players to explore gear upgrades within their budget/means. When you get that tone that vibrates with your particular style, and you just connect to the tone, the end result is pure magic. Unfortunately, in most cases, that magic costs $$$$$. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 7 2012, 09:24 AM) *
Guys, I am really happy - I have compared the feeling of my bone nut with the same model today at the dealer, having the plastic nut. Less sustain indeed and less depth indeed!

--------------------

Check out my awesome Nintendo Cover-band, EMULATOR!!
http://www.reverbnation.com/emulator

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 8 2012, 10:12 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (derper @ Sep 8 2012, 06:19 AM) *
Such a small, "insignificant", and rather inexpensive upgrade can make quite a difference!

I know that many (and some GREAT players) lean towards the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mantra.... yet your story is one of many reasons that I encourage players to explore gear upgrades within their budget/means. When you get that tone that vibrates with your particular style, and you just connect to the tone, the end result is pure magic. Unfortunately, in most cases, that magic costs $$$$$. tongue.gif

Thank you mate! Well, I have a friend that uses a Russian made device, which he operates with a little piece of paper and some crayons - DON'T ask me how laugh.gif and he uses it as a power amp biggrin.gif

He also modded a VERY OLD and CRAPPY guitar which still looks crappy but has the EXACT tone of a telecaster laugh.gif

So, yes, sometimes, magic can be achieved without that much $$$ biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Sep 8 2012, 10:20 AM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
Now I am REALLY getting curious about bone nuts...

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 8 2012, 10:28 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Sep 8 2012, 09:20 AM) *
Now I am REALLY getting curious about bone nuts...

Marcus will be trying bone nuts and going Musashi style, after reading Gorin No Sho in the airplane on the way towards USA! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Sep 10 2012, 05:24 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Sep 3 2012, 02:23 PM) *
I've installed a few Bone nuts, you can notice the difference. As bone is more 'dense' than plastic it transfers a better vibration through the neck to add to the natural resonance of the guitar. This is also why Brass ones are used too!!
biggrin.gif

Would an Ivory nut have similar characteristics as a bone nut I wonder?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 10 2012, 07:22 AM
Instructor
I've also heard about tusq nuts - I HOPE they are not made out of ivory, as I would be very much against killing elephants for having their tusks on my guitar... sad.gif

+Quote Post
wish to shred
Sep 10 2012, 12:52 PM
this may be dumb but how do the steel locking nuts of floyd roses compare? i imaginge they would transfer most of the sound through the neck.

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Sep 10 2012, 03:43 PM
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Sep 10 2012, 05:24 AM) *
Would an Ivory nut have similar characteristics as a bone nut I wonder?

They do indeed, in fact very early Guitars/Lutes etc had Ivory ones.

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 10 2012, 07:22 AM) *
I've also heard about tusq nuts - I HOPE they are not made out of ivory, as I would be very much against killing elephants for having their tusks on my guitar... sad.gif

No they're not actually Ivory, it's a composite material that is hard like Bone or Ivory and has the same kind of properties.
smile.gif
Fear not, no living Tusq animals were harmed in the making of these nuts!!

QUOTE (wish to shred @ Sep 10 2012, 12:52 PM) *
this may be dumb but how do the steel locking nuts of floyd roses compare? i imaginge they would transfer most of the sound through the neck.

Not dumb at all and a very valid question! They do transfer a lot of resonance through the neck, BUT because the bridge end is free floating it loses at that end.
The idea of these replacements is to help increase tone and sustain therefore they're meant for fixed bridge guitars.
smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:31 PM