Thinner Neck On Les Pauls ?, Are there certain models with thinner necks ?
Staffy
Jul 28 2009, 12:44 PM
Learning Tone Master
I'm thinking of buying a Les Paul, but the thing is that I dont like the thick necks, I prefer the 335-style of necks.
Can anyone of You gear expert guide me in this jungle ?? Which model, new or used ? I'll really prefer a top model, but I don't want to sell the car either.... :-)

//Staffay

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jul 28 2009, 12:53 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (Staffy @ Jul 28 2009, 01:44 PM) *
I'm thinking of buying a Les Paul, but the thing is that I dont like the thick necks, I prefer the 335-style of necks.
Can anyone of You gear expert guide me in this jungle ?? Which model, new or used ? I'll really prefer a top model, but I don't want to sell the car either.... :-)

//Staffay

Some of the Gibson Les Paul models comes with a 60's neck smile.gif
That's the one you're looking for, thinner than the rounded 50's necks!

My favourite on a Gibson also smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Staffy
Jul 28 2009, 01:23 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Jul 28 2009, 01:53 PM) *
Some of the Gibson Les Paul models comes with a 60's neck smile.gif
That's the one you're looking for, thinner than the rounded 50's necks!

My favourite on a Gibson also smile.gif

Aha, so a 60's reissue will be good? I dont know anything about the different models, but I suppose Deluxe is better than Standard, or what is the difference between the models???

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jul 28 2009, 01:35 PM
Learning Tone Master
Just go out and try some Pauls, they all have diffrent necks. I have a 50s neck les paul which is pretty thin for a 50s neck (there are baseballbat-like ones) and then there are some 60s necks which are almost as thick as my 50s neck and some other 60s are far thinner. Somehow the neck varies from the model and year it was built...

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jul 28 2009, 01:40 PM
GMC:er
I have a 58 Reissue Les Paul with a very thick neck, more so than what is called a 50's neck on today's Les Pauls (of which I have two). I also have two other Gibson guitars with thin necks. I feel my 58 Reissue with the fat neck is the easiest to play. I remember that it was not always that way. You get used to it, and then can play right at the top just fine.

My 58 is plek'ed though. That may be part of why it plays so well. New issue Les Pauls are plek'ed, at least some of them, even not custom shop jobs. I would like on of those, but I can't afford one. Still I have 3 Les Pauls, so not Les Paul poor.

I think the fatter neck Les Paul's sound a bit better. Maybe I am imagining that though. I believe that Jimmy Page shaved his Les Paul neck pretty thin.

I would go to the lespaul forum and read from all the Les Paul guys who have like 100 or them, before I made the purchase. It is a very active forum. They also have sponsors that will sell you one at a very good price. If you live in the US.

edit: I see you are Swedish. The hat should have been my clue. Although that could also have indicated that you live in North Dakota.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jul 28 2009, 01:42 PM

+Quote Post
Gus
Jul 28 2009, 01:54 PM
From a couple hours of Les Pauls I had the following impressions
- 60s neck is much nicer to play (it's thinner). It sounds a little bit weaker than thick necks though.
- 50s neck sounds much better (thick neck), but it's harder to play (note that my main guitar is a Ibanez with thin neck, so I am more used to that).
- Asymmetric neck (Standard 2008) both play nice and sound good!

Check out this topic!
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=21073

This post has been edited by Gus: Jul 28 2009, 01:55 PM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
inertia
Jul 28 2009, 01:57 PM
I would go to the website to look at the differences between the models, generally the differences will be in the neck size, pickups, binding etc...
Personally I like the burstbucker pros the best in the les paul standard but there are other kinds that are hotter like in the older Les Paul Classic

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jul 28 2009, 02:04 PM
QUOTE (Gus @ Jul 28 2009, 07:54 AM) *
From a couple hours of Les Pauls I had the following impressions
- 60s neck is much nicer to play (it's thinner). It sounds a little bit weaker than thick necks though.
- 50s neck sounds much better (thick neck), but it's harder to play (note that my main guitar is a Ibanez with thin neck, so I am more used to that).
- Asymmetric neck (Standard 2008) both play nice and sound good!

Check out this topic!
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=21073

Good advice. However, while GMC is unsurpassed in quality of lessons, let's face it, if you really want to read from teh guys who know Les Pauls, and have for years and years, to get advice, here is where to go.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/finalframes/frameset.htm

I would like the new Standard 2008, if I could afford one. For one thing they have the long neck tenon, which prior you could only get on reissues. And they are plek'ed. I think even most die in the wool been playing les pauls for 30 years guys like those, but you would have to read the site, I am not sure about that, have not looked in awhile.

edit: I looked a bit, a lot of guys seem to not like the chamber on the new plek'ed standards. I am not in the market so will not look more, and am very satisfied with my 58 reissue. They are not weight relived, the reissues, don't have the swiss cheese holes in the interior of the mahogany that more recent pre 2008 les pauls had, they select a lighter piece of mahogany for the back. Real 50's LP's could be very heavy up to 11lbs, because they did not select a light piece of mahogany now as they do on reissues. Then again, maybe that does not matter. They make a traditional Les Paul, but I am not sure it is plek'ed, or that it has the long tenon, both of which I would like.

If you are on a budget, the Studios are fine guitars, and you can get a good price on them at times, the put them on sale.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jul 28 2009, 02:15 PM

+Quote Post
Staffy
Jul 28 2009, 04:48 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (fkalich @ Jul 28 2009, 02:40 PM) *
edit: I see you are Swedish. The hat should have been my clue. Although that could also have indicated that you live in North Dakota.

What? The hat is russian !!!! Hehe.... And i live in south Sweden, it's not so cold here, I use the hat only for one purpose: To protect my head beeing damaged from insects since both the hair & my girlfriend left me looooong time ago! biggrin.gif

Thanks for all the inputs and the useful links guys! This was exactly the kind of information i needed! :-)

--------------------

+Quote Post
sted
Jul 28 2009, 07:21 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey staffy!

I have an 08 Les Paul standard and used to own a studio so I'm not too bad on Pauls. The main difference on the new 08 is the neck contour, it has a Vee shaped neck rather than the vintage rounded profile, the neck is very comfortable but if you are used to standard strats it will still feel a bit of a handful. The new one is chambered but honestly if people think this is a bad thing then they have never carted a paul round for any length of time! the tone, sustain, everything that pauls are good for is there in spades. I cant quite make my mind up still about the pickups, dont get me wrong they sound great but they sound quite modern as well which is just down to preference, the best thing about the 08 is the modern appointments: locking tuners, strap locks, more responsive pots, locking jack socket, plek setup. The bad things are just the bad things from every paul ever made as in: weight, flat back makes it a bit awkward on the strap, heel is like a canal barge!
By all means check out the les paul forums but bear in mind those guys are les paul anoraks, if you're obsessed with minute detail then listen to their advice, my suggestion would be to try the new one against an older model if you have access to both, and dont worry about the quality horror stories, trust me, as a buyer of both recent new gibsons and fenders fender are a country mile behind gibson in terms of quality!

Just as an afterthought, I dont know what your feelings are on vintage specs being all important but the Les Paul Axcess is an interesting proposition, its a custom and has a lighter body, floyd rose and sculpted heel amongst other things, very expensive and caused absolute consternation amongst the Les Paul faithful but I think it has some very good features on it!

Hope this helped!

+Quote Post
Gus
Jul 28 2009, 08:01 PM
QUOTE (sted @ Jul 28 2009, 08:21 PM) *
The new one is chambered but honestly if people think this is a bad thing then they have never carted a paul round for any length of time!

I can't agree more. I forgot to mention that my main guitar used to be a epiphone les paul custom, and man after playing that for one hour while standing I just wanted massage...

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jul 28 2009, 08:06 PM
QUOTE (Staffy @ Jul 28 2009, 10:48 AM) *
What? The hat is russian !!!! Hehe.... And i live in south Sweden, it's not so cold here, I use the hat only for one purpose: To protect my head beeing damaged from insects since both the hair & my girlfriend left me looooong time ago! biggrin.gif

Thanks for all the inputs and the useful links guys! This was exactly the kind of information i needed! :-)

I was thinking of the cold, but thinking again, many Swede settled in that region, and Minnesota. Actually Sweden had a profound effect on shaping US culture in the 19th century, a lot of the things were adopted from them generally.

But history aside, I would just be careful, and not hurry. I think a lot of people want a Les Paul. I can't imagine living without one. But you want to get the right one, so you don't feel like you want a different one later. I am very happy with my 58 reissue. Sure I would prefer a 59, but they cost a good $1,500 more, and all you are pay for is a flame, the quality is not better than the 58's. And a more modern style 50's neck, which actually I don't care about, I am happy with the baseball bat.

And again, there is nothing wrong with a Studio. I have one with a flame, they call it the Studio premium +. I have seen pretty good buys on those on Ebay. Really pretty flame. I really like it, play it more than any other (but one reason is the 8 cats, I have to be a lot more careful with the 58, with the cats, and the dog also)

I would stay away from the Mahogany. That is my 3rd LP, and I like it, but it is a lot different from other LP's.

+Quote Post
Staffy
Jul 28 2009, 08:26 PM
Learning Tone Master
Thanks Sted!
The 08 sounds very interesting to me. I have no problems with thicker necks than strats since I own a couple of Ibanez semi-acoustics, I just want to avoid this really "fat" necks, since I'm unconfortable with them. Soundwise, I prefer a bluesy sound, doesn't have to be high output pickups, the most important is to have a sweet sound, not an agressive one. I will use this guitar for just some couple of songs since I'm really a Stratplayer (even though as you said, strat has always been a piece of crap... *lol*). I'm going to visit the US in a couple of months and planning to pickup a Les Paul there. What about prices, new as well as second hand ???

Again, thanks a lot everyone in this thread !!!

//Staffay

QUOTE (sted @ Jul 28 2009, 08:21 PM) *
Hey staffy!

I have an 08 Les Paul standard and used to own a studio so I'm not too bad on Pauls. The main difference on the new 08 is the neck contour, it has a Vee shaped neck rather than the vintage rounded profile, the neck is very comfortable but if you are used to standard strats it will still feel a bit of a handful. The new one is chambered but honestly if people think this is a bad thing then they have never carted a paul round for any length of time! the tone, sustain, everything that pauls are good for is there in spades. I cant quite make my mind up still about the pickups, dont get me wrong they sound great but they sound quite modern as well which is just down to preference, the best thing about the 08 is the modern appointments: locking tuners, strap locks, more responsive pots, locking jack socket, plek setup. The bad things are just the bad things from every paul ever made as in: weight, flat back makes it a bit awkward on the strap, heel is like a canal barge!
By all means check out the les paul forums but bear in mind those guys are les paul anoraks, if you're obsessed with minute detail then listen to their advice, my suggestion would be to try the new one against an older model if you have access to both, and dont worry about the quality horror stories, trust me, as a buyer of both recent new gibsons and fenders fender are a country mile behind gibson in terms of quality!

Just as an afterthought, I dont know what your feelings are on vintage specs being all important but the Les Paul Axcess is an interesting proposition, its a custom and has a lighter body, floyd rose and sculpted heel amongst other things, very expensive and caused absolute consternation amongst the Les Paul faithful but I think it has some very good features on it!

Hope this helped!

--------------------

+Quote Post
sted
Jul 28 2009, 08:46 PM
Learning Rock Star
It was a brave move by Gibson to upgrade the standard, even after fifty years!, I think its paid off but can understand the purists when they say they are miffed (For gods sake, its not like its a BFG!) pound for pound its the best LP gibson produce, I would love a reissue or VOS but they are like 3000 quid here and I cant really justify a Les Paul for that sort of dough (The new pearly gates Billy Gibbons models are like 5000 sterling!)
Dont know about US but here they are still going for around 1800 sterling at best, although I think the import duty is around 23% for bringing a guitar back from USA.

+Quote Post
Xuestor
Jul 28 2009, 08:51 PM
I think a real hot deal is the Les Paul traditional pro. They have "weight-relieved" bodies, vs. the new standard that has a chambered body. (chambered has more wood cut out)

The traditional pro also has the slimtaper 60's neck with locking kluson tuners. burstbucker 3 as bridge pickup and 57 classic as neck pickup. There are also a coil-tap for maximum versatility!

I'm drooling over these guitars every day!! gotta get one!

EDIT: did I mention they are cheaper than the new standards too?

This post has been edited by Xuestor: Jul 28 2009, 08:51 PM

--------------------
Gear:
Epi LP with SD SH-2/SD SH-6
Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard VOS Bourbon burst
Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique Vintage Sunburst
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded Tobacco burst
Fender Stratocaster Antigua with Stan Hinesley Karma/ Stan Hinesley EXP/ Dimarzio Protrack
Jem 7VWH
Fender CD160NT 12-string
Ibanez AW40NT 6-string
Martin 000X1 6-string
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade Head with 2*12 Celestion Vintage 30's Cab

Grammatic Professional auf Schweden

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 28 2009, 09:48 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (fkalich @ Jul 28 2009, 02:40 PM) *
I have a 58 Reissue Les Paul with a very thick neck, more so than what is called a 50's neck on today's Les Pauls (of which I have two). I also have two other Gibson guitars with thin necks.

Sorry for off topic but... you have lot of Gibsons!!!!!
Can I have one?? biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jul 28 2009, 10:04 PM
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Jul 28 2009, 03:48 PM) *
Sorry for off topic but... you have lot of Gibsons!!!!!
Can I have one?? biggrin.gif

If there was anyone I would love to give my Firebird to, it would be you, to watch you play it. But since there is nobody, it is mute. You set the standard for how good I could never be. However a person does not have to be nearly as good as you, to still be a good guitarist, I take solace in working towards that.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 28 2009, 10:19 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (fkalich @ Jul 28 2009, 11:04 PM) *
But since there is nobody, it is mute.

Brilliant!!! laugh.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:08 AM