My Gmc Journey, It's just the beginning
Jim S.
Nov 2 2013, 02:50 PM
Learning Rock Star
First of all I want to thank all the instructors and students here that help motivate and encourage growth in music. As a member I have been working on a few different areas of my playing and as I cant expect them to be better overnight it seems best to make a video of my best guitar playing. This is my best guitar playing in just a few hours, that is one of the things I want to work on.

Here is a list of problem areas that I plan to work on over the next year.

1. Being able to create melodies and distinguish chords as I solo over them.
2. Tighten up my picking hand and cleanly pick lines
3. Learning new rhythms and working on accenting appropriately
4. Tapping with both hands during a solo
5. Applying different colors to arpeggios (I currently know 3 different shapes M, m m7b5)
6. Honing in on modal tones, I'm getting familiar with the 9th sound but it's hit or miss
7. Using my inner voice to write chords and lines

I'm sure this list will change but it's a good start. I plan to record once a month of my progress on this page so please feel free to comment on my progress. Here is my first video......I think it's a little slow to start but the middle is pretty cool.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Jim Seekford: Nov 2 2013, 02:50 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
ringmar
Nov 2 2013, 04:03 PM
GMC:er
Nice video Jim. You have some skills!

I just came back here after a hiatus (busy with a cover band). See you around, possibly in chat.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by ringmar: Nov 2 2013, 04:04 PM

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Nov 2 2013, 04:22 PM
Instructor
You do some really great job here, at GMC smile.gif Jim - I hope You'll make me pleasure soon and show Your next attempt to Heavy Funkin' lesson smile.gif I wonder how Your progress relates to my lesson. Thank You for being very active at forums and Your work sharing in here. I wish You best and hope to see some more of Your work smile.gif

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Nov 3 2013, 01:20 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (ringmar @ Nov 2 2013, 11:03 AM) *
Nice video Jim. You have some skills!

I just came back here after a hiatus (busy with a cover band). See you around, possibly in chat.

Hey ringmar thanks man! I haven't been in chat yet, I'd like to but never practicing when a lesson is up.

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Nov 2 2013, 11:22 AM) *
You do some really great job here, at GMC smile.gif Jim - I hope You'll make me pleasure soon and show Your next attempt to Heavy Funkin' lesson smile.gif I wonder how Your progress relates to my lesson. Thank You for being very active at forums and Your work sharing in here. I wish You best and hope to see some more of Your work smile.gif

Darius thanks a lot. My first lesson I tried was that heavy funkin solo and quite frankly I can't seem to pick anywhere near 200bpm. I am having a similar problem with cosmins Vivaldi work. Last time I measured 140bpm 16th notes on yours and 110bpm on cosmins. I'm close with his but an extra 60bpm on yours seems untouchable but.... I will give it another go, maybe I'll do better this time around.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 3 2013, 09:44 AM
Instructor
Hey mate! I am glad you decided to start this thread smile.gif

The list sounds very interesting and I would like to point out a starting lesson for each thing you stated:

1. Being able to create melodies and distinguish chords as I solo over them.

- a good understanding of modes and generally, the relationship between chords and notes - my thoughts are that for starting out, you should start with a good reading of these chapters:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=48917
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=48825

2. Tighten up my picking hand and cleanly pick lines

- the Vivaldi Lesson is a very good exercise for your picking hand so, keep at it wink.gif

3. Learning new rhythms and working on accenting appropriately

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...6-funk-basics1/ - try this whole series, as the funk is always a great way to work your rhythm work and especially accents!

4. Tapping with both hands during a solo

- try this one to start out with: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Basic-Tapping/

5. Applying different colors to arpeggios (I currently know 3 different shapes M, m m7b5)

- once you understand more about modes - refer to point 1, you will be able to discern what notes to use for coloring arpeggios as well wink.gif

6. Honing in on modal tones, I'm getting familiar with the 9th sound but it's hit or miss

- point 1 again smile.gif

7. Using my inner voice to write chords and lines

- tightening the gap between what you hear in your head and your hands is what needs to be worked on here. Ear training is of great help and to get there, you can start sorting out small ideas that you already have. If you could sing them and then emulate them on the guitar, that would be a first very important step!

We'll discuss things here as they come along wink.gif Hope it's not a deluge of info, so take things one at a time ok?

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Nov 5 2013, 12:13 AM
Learning Rock Star
Cosmin..... Great advice, My plan is to take each mode 1 by 1 and learn a lesson on each while working on yours and darius heavy funkin solo with a metronome.

I started working on the Dorian phrases lesson here and Ill post an update when I can finish it. Thanks!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 5 2013, 09:14 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jim Seekford @ Nov 4 2013, 11:13 PM) *
Cosmin..... Great advice, My plan is to take each mode 1 by 1 and learn a lesson on each while working on yours and darius heavy funkin solo with a metronome.

I started working on the Dorian phrases lesson here and Ill post an update when I can finish it. Thanks!

Glad to be of help mate smile.gif Keep at it and let us know when you have something ready! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Nov 5 2013, 11:30 AM
Instructor
For me the key to this speed is a little addition of circle picking - I do first stroke from the wrist and then focus on very tiny movements made with circle picking . The pattern in like 1W 2C 3C 4C on each 16th notes group. Instead of killer practice I advice to spend some time only on searching the hand position, pick grab, angles and resting points. Those are usually the most problematic and...according to myself I can't play it at 200 bpm either - without a good warm up - so I think You also would need to not aonly find the position but take some time to play before You judge it works. Mursi sad once (andI do sign under his words too) that at some speed You will not have Your hand fully relaxed. It's a war between tension and relax. You have to use every single milisecond for relax to be able to keep constant alternate motion. I tense my hand on the accents - first from each 4 16th notes group. Then I release.

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Nov 14 2013, 07:40 AM
Learning Rock Star
I have been making progress, working new techniques on my picking hand and have had a couple really nice moments where I had bursts of nice speed. I have also learned that I have been taught to look at modes in very odd ways. The first is I have always concentrated on the root of the mode over the Tonic of the Key "playing d over C maj" I never concidered the qualities in the intervals in the modes. Dorian has m3, M6, b7. These are some of the qualities that give it a happier minor. I bet in E dorian, Gmaj,c#m7b5, Dmaj would sound very nice.

This is my latest video from a Dorian Phrases

This post has been edited by Jim Seekford: Nov 14 2013, 03:12 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 14 2013, 09:21 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jim Seekford @ Nov 14 2013, 06:40 AM) *
I have been making progress, working new techniques on my picking hand and have had a couple really nice moments where I had bursts of nice speed. I have also learned that I have been taught to look at modes in very odd ways. The first is I have always concentrated on the root of the mode over the Tonic of the Key "playing d over C maj" I never concidered the qualities in the intervals in the modes. Dorian has m3, M6, b7. These are some of the qualities that give it a happier minor. I bet in E dorian, Gmaj,c#m7b5, Dmaj would sound very nice.

This is my latest video from a Dorian Phrases lesson.

Hey Jim - can you please re-post the embedding? It doesn't appear...

Regarding the modes smile.gif It is important to learn and use the characteristic scale degrees, as you have noticed - in the case of the Dorian mode, experimenting with the 2nd and 6th would be a fine choice. You can use your pentatonic licks in which you can add the 2nd and 6th - ever tried that? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Nov 29 2013, 09:36 PM
Learning Rock Star
My 3 yr old son and I whipped this up real quick. I had to to keep his attention. This is the first time I showed him the process of writing a song on the computer and it can be quite complicated. This is also why a generic drum track is in place. (Sorry Cosmin) I let him pick from a list, didnt think showing him piano roll was gonna make any sense. I played bass and he picked the groove he liked, then drums and guitar. We then wrote down a bunch of lyrics and let him sing over the backing we made.

I took Darius's advice and toned down my effects on the guitar and bass. I like the tone I got too.

https://soundcloud.com/jim-seekford-music/max-seekfords-first-song

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 30 2013, 07:36 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jim Seekford @ Nov 29 2013, 08:36 PM) *
My 3 yr old son and I whipped this up real quick. I had to to keep his attention. This is the first time I showed him the process of writing a song on the computer and it can be quite complicated. This is also why a generic drum track is in place. (Sorry Cosmin) I let him pick from a list, didnt think showing him piano roll was gonna make any sense. I played bass and he picked the groove he liked, then drums and guitar. We then wrote down a bunch of lyrics and let him sing over the backing we made.

I took Darius's advice and toned down my effects on the guitar and bass. I like the tone I got too.

https://soundcloud.com/jim-seekford-music/max-seekfords-first-song

Haha biggrin.gif Reminds me of Steve Vai's Ya yo gak - his sons are on the track speaking and making funny noises out of what I know. No worries mate - as long as he enjoyed it I think it's A GREAT idea to share this sort of musical process with your son. You can write drums on your own on other occasions wink.gif

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Jan 5 2014, 06:36 AM
Learning Rock Star
I've been away for a while moving my Automotive Shop or atleast getting ready to move. Kids birthdays, Xmas and moving has made it quite impossible to play guitar. When I do sit down it just doesnt feel good and that has really never happened to me before.
Tonight I got to sit down and write a bass guitar loop and I just played over it. I will be completely moved by Feb. 1st so hopefully life calms down and I can get back to a regular practice. One positive note, I have found a new genre of music that is so awesome, the drums are fantastic and it has a great groove AND I have really appreciated different lead instruments like Sax or trumpet. Jazz Pistols, The Swayback, Tony Grey, Birelli Langrene and Dennis Chambers just to name a few. I listen a lot and want to slow down a bit and work smarter and more harmonic.

Heres the video

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 5 2014, 12:47 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jim Seekford @ Jan 5 2014, 05:36 AM) *
I've been away for a while moving my Automotive Shop or atleast getting ready to move. Kids birthdays, Xmas and moving has made it quite impossible to play guitar. When I do sit down it just doesnt feel good and that has really never happened to me before.
Tonight I got to sit down and write a bass guitar loop and I just played over it. I will be completely moved by Feb. 1st so hopefully life calms down and I can get back to a regular practice. One positive note, I have found a new genre of music that is so awesome, the drums are fantastic and it has a great groove AND I have really appreciated different lead instruments like Sax or trumpet. Jazz Pistols, The Swayback, Tony Grey, Birelli Langrene and Dennis Chambers just to name a few. I listen a lot and want to slow down a bit and work smarter and more harmonic.

Heres the video

Hey there man smile.gif I heard some nice lines there and I think your approach of playing smarter and more closer to the harmonic context is a very good one. I would just turn that bass line a bit louder in the mix, as the guitar is covering it almost completely. Otherwise, I hope that life cools down and you can enjoy playing and progress. Keep us posted, aye?

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jan 5 2014, 01:10 PM
Instructor
Hope You'll get back to a normal life soon smile.gif There are moments in life when we can't give guitar as much time as we would like, and we can't do anything about it...but that's just the way life is so hope You're doing well and You'll be able to post some new takes in the near future smile.gif

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Jan 7 2014, 06:08 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 5 2014, 07:47 AM) *
Hey there man smile.gif I heard some nice lines there and I think your approach of playing smarter and more closer to the harmonic context is a very good one. I would just turn that bass line a bit louder in the mix, as the guitar is covering it almost completely. Otherwise, I hope that life cools down and you can enjoy playing and progress. Keep us posted, aye?

Thanks Cosmin, I cant wait to get back to it. There were some notes that I liked in that tune, I just need to make smoother and more thought out.

Sometimes when I am soloing there is an urge and tension to move toward a melody but the opportunity passes and It never comes back again. During that tune I had a few urges and since I missed the notes I played stepwise down or up.

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jan 5 2014, 08:10 AM) *
Hope You'll get back to a normal life soon smile.gif There are moments in life when we can't give guitar as much time as we would like, and we can't do anything about it...but that's just the way life is so hope You're doing well and You'll be able to post some new takes in the near future smile.gif

Me too man, me too. I never realized how much time affects the physicality in playing. I've played probably an hour in the last 2 weeks and I'm feeling very stiff. A part of me wonders if my playing is affected by breaking both of my wrists when I was a kid... Realized that today and I would be very worried if that happened today. Quick off the topic fact. Take care Darius!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 7 2014, 08:35 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jim Seekford @ Jan 7 2014, 05:08 AM) *
Thanks Cosmin, I cant wait to get back to it. There were some notes that I liked in that tune, I just need to make smoother and more thought out.

Sometimes when I am soloing there is an urge and tension to move toward a melody but the opportunity passes and It never comes back again. During that tune I had a few urges and since I missed the notes I played stepwise down or up.

Hehe! I know exactly what you mean, mate smile.gif

Thing is, the more you train your ears, the better you'll become at forging a strong relationship between them, your head and your hands. You will miss less and less opportunities. The great thing tho, is that those opportunities are there smile.gif It's like a cycle really. I want to talk about it in a video for ya wink.gif Stay tuned.... and here ya go:

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Jan 7 2014, 11:29 PM

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Feb 21 2014, 05:44 AM
Learning Rock Star
I'm still pretty busy and guitar playing in general is limited but since taking over a month off I have had a lot of time to reflect and think about where I want to be. There are so many things to work on I feel like throwing a dart at a list.

I do know that my picking is still wants to drift back to old ways, that is a something that will take more time and I aim to circle pick every chance I get. Sometimes Ill nail it for a good half hour, but top speed is 16th notes at 120 bpm.

The very next thing that seems to be very important is writing licks and learning them. I have not done this is so long. I plan to write licks over specific chords. When I listen to my soloing it is all the same over and over again.

Over the last 6 months I have had nothing but technical breakdowns. From my amp falling over and shitting to computer crashes I have been so distracted from actually learning guitar. I still have amp and computer issues but am learning to work around it.

This was just an update

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 21 2014, 08:46 AM
Instructor
Hey mate smile.gif I totally feel you!

I have some periods in which gear is giving me a hard time, but it's ALWAYS so difficult to take 2 darn days off from everything and set things straight - you don't need more than 2 days and it's NOT as disastrous as you may think smile.gif I mean from the perspective of not touching the guitar. When you have kids, it's a bit difficult to take 2 days off from them as well biggrin.gif I can imagine. But, try to make a list with the things you need to fix, in order to have the right setup functional and then, get to work smile.gif Deal?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 21 2014, 02:23 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jim Seekford @ Feb 21 2014, 01:44 AM) *
I'm still pretty busy and guitar playing in general is limited but since taking over a month off I have had a lot of time to reflect and think about where I want to be. There are so many things to work on I feel like throwing a dart at a list.

I do know that my picking is still wants to drift back to old ways, that is a something that will take more time and I aim to circle pick every chance I get. Sometimes Ill nail it for a good half hour, but top speed is 16th notes at 120 bpm.

The very next thing that seems to be very important is writing licks and learning them. I have not done this is so long. I plan to write licks over specific chords. When I listen to my soloing it is all the same over and over again.

Over the last 6 months I have had nothing but technical breakdowns. From my amp falling over and shitting to computer crashes I have been so distracted from actually learning guitar. I still have amp and computer issues but am learning to work around it.

This was just an update

Hi Jim! Good update. It's always important to do balances and think on next goals and direction. Working on technique and composition sounds great to me. If you have a limited time, you have to be very organized and methodic to get the best from your music time.

Regarding your improvisation abilities, learning licks by other guitarists, practice them and work on variations is also another way to enrich your guitar vocabulary. This also applies to GMC lessons, I usually learn lessons and then use backing tracks to practice them and slowly vary the ideas until I made them mine. Have you every tried it?

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 09:58 PM