2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Amp Recomendations, Half stack vs. 2 x 12 combo
MickeM
Sep 1 2007, 03:30 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Goliath @ Sep 1 2007, 03:22 AM) *
Yeah ultimately I'd like to own a powerball but I really don't have a need for it right now. The thunder and fireball heads are pretty affordable considering what they are. I was pleasantly surprised this week to find otu MF was starting to carry ENGL, before there was only a boutique guitar shop in my city that had them and that would mean having to pay salestax on it. Now that MF has it, they ship for free and there's no salestax! So it's kind of a built in savings I suppose. That, and they don't have the thunder head, they just have the fireball, powerball, and the 412 and 212 cabs. They're wanting $700+ for a 212 cab! WTF. I mean I don't want to match that badly.

Nah, you can find quality speakers f ex from avatar
I tried to order from there once but they didn't ship to sweden sad.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Anomaly
Sep 1 2007, 05:07 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Aug 31 2007, 02:31 AM) *
20 - 30W is more than loud enought to compete with an unmiked drummer

Only a tube amp or a regular amp as well? Let's say a 30W solid-state amp? biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
JVM
Sep 1 2007, 05:14 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Anomaly @ Aug 31 2007, 04:07 PM) *
Only a tube amp or a regular amp as well? Let's say a 30W solid-state amp? biggrin.gif

I'd say it depends on the quality of the amp. I have a 90w 112 solid state amp, which gets loud enough to handle a drummer, but you have to really crank it, and when I do so on mine it buzzes and shakes like no other, it's really bad. I would bet there's better ones though tongue.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Anomaly
Sep 1 2007, 05:24 AM
QUOTE (JVM @ Sep 1 2007, 06:14 AM) *
I'd say it depends on the quality of the amp. I have a 90w 112 solid state amp, which gets loud enough to handle a drummer, but you have to really crank it, and when I do so on mine it buzzes and shakes like no other, it's really bad. I would bet there's better ones though tongue.gif

ohmy.gif
Well, I don't know how loud drummers are and I don't know how loud can my amp get - so it still sounds good (I live in an apartment). laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Anomaly: Sep 1 2007, 05:26 AM

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 1 2007, 05:48 AM
QUOTE (Anomaly @ Sep 1 2007, 06:24 AM) *
I don't know how loud drummers are

Like a train passing by at full speed while you're standing on the platform next to it.

+Quote Post
Anomaly
Sep 1 2007, 05:55 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Sep 1 2007, 06:48 AM) *
Like a train passing by at full speed while you're standing on the platform next to it.

But full speeds vary from train to train. And I know you're probably not talking about those magnetically levitated trains. And I don't like to stand near a train when it passes by. biggrin.gif

So, this probably means too loud? Like not being able to have a conversation near a drummer - when they're drumming that is? Or louder than not being able to hear someone speak/scream close to your ear?

And because there will be midnight here soon and everyone will be sleeping, I'm going to test my amp then..

This post has been edited by Anomaly: Sep 1 2007, 05:57 AM

+Quote Post
JVM
Sep 1 2007, 05:59 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Anomaly @ Aug 31 2007, 04:55 PM) *
But full speeds vary from train to train. And I know you're probably not talking about those magnetically levitated trains. And I don't like to stand near a train when it passes by. biggrin.gif

So, this probably means too loud? Like not being able to have a conversation near a drummer - when they're drumming that is? Or louder than not being able to hear someone speak/scream close to your ear?

And because there will be midnight here soon and everyone will be sleeping, I'm going to test my amp then..

Depends on the drummer really tongue.gif Most drummers, you probably can't hear someone yelling real well. Definitely not have a conversation. Drummers are loud man!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 1 2007, 06:24 AM
QUOTE (Anomaly @ Sep 1 2007, 06:55 AM) *
And I don't like to stand near a train when it passes by. biggrin.gif

There you have it!

So, this probably means too loud?

Always.

Like not being able to have a conversation near a drummer

I think the correct expression would be - Like not being able to have a conversation with a drummer
Drumming or not, it's just not possible.

laugh.gif

Well, it's loud, what can I say, I have a hearing loss just a tiny frequence that my left ear doesn't pick up and I've always been standing with my left side to the drummers. And a good crash or cymbal, it' hurts.
I always use good earplugs nowadays but used to have cotton or these yellow workers plugs, sometimes I forgot to bring and played without. Real christmas tree plugs are the best!

+Quote Post
Anomaly
Sep 1 2007, 07:16 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Sep 1 2007, 07:24 AM) *
There you have it!

So I don't fall under it, or so I don't "fall" ("accidentally") under it.

I think the correct expression would be - Like not being able to have a conversation with a drummer
Drumming or not, it's just not possible.

laugh.gif

Hey! mad.gif Drummers are nice! Says me who hasn't heard a drummer play. biggrin.gif

Well, it's loud, what can I say, I have a hearing loss just a tiny frequence that my left ear doesn't pick up and I've always been standing with my left side to the drummers. And a good crash or cymbal, it' hurts.
I always use good earplugs nowadays but used to have cotton or these yellow workers plugs, sometimes I forgot to bring and played without. Real christmas tree plugs are the best!

Like these http://www.christmas-tree-farm.com/drippic012.html ?

So cotton and yellow workers plugs suck?

And, I've read that the plugs have to fit in your ear evenly, like with no tiny holes, and probably so they don't create a vacuum. So you can perhaps hear all of the frequencies the same amout as without them, but not as loud.

laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Anomaly: Sep 1 2007, 07:21 AM

+Quote Post
Hardtail
Sep 2 2007, 09:11 AM
I only put an ear plug in the ear on the drummers side... and only if the drummer has an excessively loud kit. As for 30 Watt tube being enough to overcome a drummer... yes! If you wanted you could probably hurt their ears! laugh.gif laugh.gif

30 Watt solid state would not be near enough IMO. My 65 watt Solid state doesn't get nearly as loud as my 15 watt tube amp if that gives you an idea of how far 30 watt Solid state will get yah.

This post has been edited by Hardtail: Sep 2 2007, 09:13 AM

--------------------

Beginner's Amp & Guitar Gear Guide
My Keeley Blues Driver BD-2 Review
My Line6 Flextone II Review

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:58 PM