2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Chords In Minor Keys
berko
Feb 19 2009, 01:30 AM
GMC:er
There are a lot of good answers here but just in case!

Looking at your posts here it seems to me that you've memorized what chords come to which degree of a scale. For the major scales it would go like this:

Imajor, IIminor, IIIminor, IVmajor, Vmajor, VIminor, VIIdiminished

From this formula, of course, comes the solution for the minor scales as well and you've discovered this one also. You basically start from the "VIminor" degree and then go to VII diminished etc., but of course the numbers of the degree is reset. So we get this:

Iminor, IIdiminished, IIImajor, IVminor, Vminor, VImajor, VIImajor.

Now this stuff is about how to apply chords to scales. If you had actually opened a theory book, this stuff would've come after the concept of triads and how scales are built up, that is: where we put the sharps and the flats and why! I think you only memorized this concept about chords, which isn't wrong, except that if you first know what triads and chords are, then what scales are and how they are built up, you can then more easily relate the two! I would recommend you to check Andrew Cockburn's theory board. You can use the search feature of the forum, or the link on the main page (below the picture on which the mad guy is pointing at you tongue.gif)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Feb 20 2009, 04:47 AM
Instructor
THe order of the sharps is: F C G D A E B so when you go to the right of the circle of fifths that I've transcribed before you have that

G major has 1 sharp and as the first one is F the G major scale would have F# leaving: G A B C D E F# G
D major has 2 sharps and as G major had F# you'll add one more sharp to this scale and that would be C# and the result would be: D E F# G A B C# D
If you keep adding sharps to the next keys (A, E, B, F# and C#) you'll find that the next key has the previous sharp and one more (using the order that I've written at the first part of the post)

When you talk about flats is the same thing but backwards, the order that the flats get into the keys is the inverse of the sharp order, and that would be: B E A D G C F

So as F major is the first key to the left of C major in the circle of fifths that key has 1 flat and that would be Bb leaving the scale: F G A Bb C D E F
The following scale in the circle would be Bb and that has the previous alteration (Bb) and the next one Eb, so Bb major would be: Bb C D Eb F G A Bb
And as in the example with the sharps the list of alterations moves along with the keys.

This circle of fifths is made to memorize all the keys but in a easier way, because if you do the math to the major scale like TTSTTTS in every key the result is the circle of fifths. The theory behind this nmemotechnique rule is really easy.
You go from C to the right adding up fifths and you add one sharp by one key and as you do that you keep adding the sharps of the previous keys.
As you go to the left of the circle you go down fifths and you add flats one per key and the next key add one plus the previous that had the previous key.

I hope this clarify the way to read the circle biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Feb 20 2009, 10:24 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Becks @ Feb 19 2009, 12:17 AM) *
pretty much everything.... i stil am not 100% sure on how to figure out the chords in the minor keys. well i know how to get them but i dont know where to put sharps. And the triad thing they were talking about i dont even know what a triad is.

Triad is 3 note chord that consists of Root (main tone) some sort of 3rd (major or minor) and some sort of 5th (perfect, augmented or diminished).

In major scale there is 3 types of triads used

Major (Root Maj 3rd Perfect 5th) on I IV V scale degrees of the scale
Minor (Root Min 3rd Perfect 5th ) on II III VI scale degrees of the scale
Diminished (Root Min 3rd Diminished 5th) on VII scale degree of the scale.

In key of C major you then get

C F G = major chords
D E A = minor chords
B = diminished chord !

Thats harmony of C major with triads and that applies to any major scale and key !!!

For natural minor you have to relate it with major scale and you will get your answers immediately smile.gif

If you have A natural minor that scale is related to C major scale as it has exact same notes in it , hence the chords are all the same !

The formula to find your related major key is to go up a Minor 3rd (or 3 frets) = thats your relative major scale
If you have major scale and want to find related minor , go down a Minor 3rd (or 3 frets) = thats your relative minor scale

Hope this helps !

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:02 AM