2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Plus
fkalich
May 5 2010, 05:06 AM
GMC:er
Some could argue that I did not need a 4th Les Paul, but I am pleased with this. I think it is as good, or just about, as what you get from the Custom Shop (and I have an R8 that I love). It is like a late 80's or early 90's Les Paul, except the neck is Plek'ed. The pickups are 57's If you are thinking about a Les Paul, I would really look at this. GuitarCenter has one a little cheaper called a pro, but I passed on that for various reasons; I prefer a 50's he-man neck, not a slim taper girlie man neck. Also I don't see the point in splitting coils on a LP, or locking tuners. The pro also has only a grade A top. Generally if you want something to hold value, either get something traditional, or hope that you are lucky (unlikely).

They sale them for $2,300, but Gibson had reduced the price from $2,450. They do that with some models for a time. And I got 15% off on a sale at MusiciansFriend on large items last week, bringing it down to $1,950. So I figure I had little to lose, I could sale it on Ebay for near what I paid for it, now or 2 years from now. You don't always get a top this nice. Gibson can't do that as easily as those guitars who have just a thin veneer top, it costs a lot more to come up with nice flames when you have a thick maple top as a Gibson Standard does.

And I am not sure one will be able to get a Guitar built like this for much longer, at this price, from Gibson USA. Pretty soon in the future, you probably will have to go to the custom shop for a guitar built like this, and pay more.

If you look on MusiciansFriend, a lot of reviews, and 5 Star average, people really like this guitar, I sure do. I am sure they will have a 15% off sale on large items again, but maybe not for awhile.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product...ELAID=197338658

Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NoSkill
May 5 2010, 05:48 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
It's not a question of need, but want. It's a beautiful guitar.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Still looking for my soul mate, guitar.

+Quote Post
fkalich
May 5 2010, 06:16 AM
QUOTE (NoSkill @ May 4 2010, 11:48 PM) *
It's not a question of need, but want. It's a beautiful guitar.

you have a lower number than me. Ever look on the forum archives, the very early posts, people that came in the year before us. Most of them are gone, but you can read some good advice, it was a different atmosphere, kind of interesting.

+Quote Post
Fran
May 5 2010, 04:20 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
That's a beautiful LP indeed. As you say the tops in the same range can be pretty different from each other.

Is the "plus" added because of the plekked frets? I know standard 2008 have plekked necks but didn't know that about traditionals. Besides, this one is not chambered/weight relieved is it?

Nice buy!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
May 5 2010, 04:29 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Gratz - lovely flame top smile.gif .

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
May 5 2010, 05:46 PM
Instructor
congrats!! a dream guitar

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Skewlbuzz
May 5 2010, 05:59 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Fran @ May 5 2010, 05:20 PM) *
That's a beautiful LP indeed. As you say the tops in the same range can be pretty different from each other.

Is the "plus" added because of the plekked frets? I know standard 2008 have plekked necks but didn't know that about traditionals. Besides, this one is not chambered/weight relieved is it?

Nice buy!

Both new standards and traditionals are PLEK'd.

Trads are weight relieved.

The "Plus" is for higher grade top = better flames. (unless I'm completely lost)

smile.gif

--------------------

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2008
Fender Squier '51

---------------------
Amp(like):
Blackstar Series One 45
Line6 POD Studio UX1
Marshall MG15CDR

---------------------
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
DigiTech Whammy
Z.Vex Fuzz Factory
Dunlop MXR Carbon Copy

+Quote Post
Fran
May 5 2010, 08:55 PM
QUOTE (Skewlbuzz @ May 5 2010, 06:59 PM) *

Trads are weight relieved.

The "Plus" is for higher grade top = better flames. (unless I'm completely lost)

smile.gif

Thanks mate smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:

Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!

+Quote Post
fkalich
May 5 2010, 09:05 PM
QUOTE (Skewlbuzz @ May 5 2010, 11:59 AM) *
smile.gif

Correct. Traditional LP's have "Swiss Cheese" weight relief. Years ago they did not do that, thus the early 50's 11lb Les Paul and all the dislocated back discs. They started drilling holes to lower the weight of the mahogany backs, and eventually came up with a standard 9 hole pattern.

Attached Image

If you get a custom shop guitar, they don't do this, at least on the reissues. They hand select lightweight mahogany. It is increasingly difficult to get the light weight high quality mahogany. Some cheaper guitars use what they call "mahogany" and do not weight relieve, but that is not the same wood that Gibson uses, it is of lower quality.

Gibson came up with Chambering, I think because it seems aesthetically more pleasing to those who do not fully appreciate the beauty in Swiss Cheese.

Attached Image

There are two camps here, the traditional and the chambered camps. In the traditional camp we think of Chambering much the same as we think of those Black Velvet paintings of Elvis that you can buy at gas stations in rural west Texas".

Attached Image

Myself, I don't want a 7.5 lb Les Paul. I think 9 to 9.5 pounds is ideal. I also like a guitar that balances nicely on my knee. I can't imagine that with the 50's neck I prefer, a Chambered LP can possibly be balanced.

+Quote Post
Fran
May 5 2010, 09:52 PM
Nice post & pics Fkalich.

So I guess LPs these days weight 9 lb if they are traditional (swiss cheese) or Custom (high quality light wood), or 7 lb (Standard 2008 chambered).

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Recording:

+Quote Post
fkalich
May 5 2010, 10:59 PM
Exactly.

Some with studios say they weigh less than a standard, perhaps the maple top is thinner on those. I am not sure on that. I have a 8 year old studio with a thick top, but it is a premium plus studio, with a great flame, so maybe they game those a nice standard top.

They also have the Mahogany LP, that is my 4th LP. Those are lighter, and they sound different, more woody. But the burstbucker 1 and 2 pickups are nice, you get good pinch harmonics. They go for $799 new. But I would get a used one in good shape for about $600, because I don't think they give you the nice hard shell case anymore on the new ones, I got mine 3 years ago when they first came out, and it came with the standard like case.

Actually I got my Mahogany cheap at $600 new with lifetime warranty when they came out. Some place I never heard of was selling them at that price, so I got MF to price match it. The next day Gibson must have shut them down from doing that, or maybe MF did (they clearly have a relationship with Gibson), but it was too late, I got mine.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 6 2010, 12:20 AM
It's a beautiful instrument. Need is in the eye of the beholder smile.gif Enjoy it!

Practice!
Todd

+Quote Post
fkalich
May 6 2010, 01:13 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 5 2010, 06:20 PM) *
It's a beautiful instrument. Need is in the eye of the beholder smile.gif Enjoy it!

Practice!
Todd

Thank you.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 6 2010, 01:44 AM
Instructor
Beautiful top, and beautiful LP! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
sted
May 6 2010, 09:20 AM
Learning Rock Star
I love and hate Les Pauls, I love their sound but they infuriate me, Ive had three and the current one is a 2nd hand standard that is full of chips, dings and scratches, however it plays and "Feels" much better than both of my previous others, cant put my finger on it but there is a lot to be said about guitars that have been "played in" over a number of years. Currently got some Bareknickle Black Dogs in mind, I shall report back with tales of awesomeness!

+Quote Post
Skewlbuzz
May 6 2010, 09:40 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (fkalich @ May 5 2010, 10:05 PM) *
Myself, I don't want a 7.5 lb Les Paul. I think 9 to 9.5 pounds is ideal. I also like a guitar that balances nicely on my knee. I can't imagine that with the 50's neck I prefer, a Chambered LP can possibly be balanced.

Just wanted to add that my chambered '08 balances just fine smile.gif

--------------------

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2008
Fender Squier '51

---------------------
Amp(like):
Blackstar Series One 45
Line6 POD Studio UX1
Marshall MG15CDR

---------------------
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
DigiTech Whammy
Z.Vex Fuzz Factory
Dunlop MXR Carbon Copy

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 7 2010, 12:54 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Guitar looks great man, congratulations! It doesn't matter if you need - you wanted it and its what matters + you made a sweet deal when buying it.

I didn't know about these Swiss vs chambered body work. I think I would be fun of the Swiss one too smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
fkalich
May 7 2010, 01:58 PM
QUOTE (Skewlbuzz @ May 6 2010, 03:40 PM) *
Just wanted to add that my chambered '08 balances just fine smile.gif

That is good to hear. A balanced guitar is important to me, or at least reasonably balanced. Being unbalanced is all the worse for me in a guitar if it is light weight, that compounds the issue. Look at Marcus Siepen lessons for example, The LP just sort of sits there solid and he plays on it. You can tell the unbalanced and invariably lightweight guitars on lessons here by how the instructors hold them; rather than the guitar being close to horizontal to the body, the neck usually sticks out far away from the chest, the body of the guitar cradled in. Myself, I just don't like having to hold a guitar like that sitting down, I like the guitar just sort of sitting there solid, not me having to support it. And I have no desire to stand, other than just occasionally.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 9 2010, 12:46 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Beautiful guitar!

The Traditional is more appealing to me but I have a small grip so the, if I can borrow fkalich description, "girle man neck" laugh.gif would suit me better and weight is also a matter to concider since at times my back just won't work with me.

My Fender US strat deal went down the drain. My store called me today and said they ordered a Standard strat for me anyway just in case, it's two months lead time so I have plenty of time to make up my mind. I'm aiming more towards a high end Gibson now.
He asked me if have concidered a PRS. And I have, years ago but while I'm sure it's teriffic guitars if you get one same price as a LP Standard or Traditional I can't set my mind on one. After all a PRS isn't a Gibson... unsure.gif

While neutrik jack, straplocks and arguments like that doesn't sell me the guitar it doesn't bother me either. Not being a purist.

Hopefully next month I can buy that Les Paul Standard, desert burst.
A Traditional with a 60's neck would beat that but I think all Traditionals come with a 50's neck.

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jun 9 2010, 01:05 PM
Learning Tone Master
High end PRS are at least as good as high end Gibsons!
Both guitars are beautifully handcrafted down to the last detail, it all comes down to tonal preferance...

With Gibson you get really warm sounding guitars with a vintage touch to them (although a pickup swap can change them into Metal beasts if neccesary). Gibson has a very classical approach to guitars - they are heavy, they are not the most comfortable to play BUT they sound better than anything else.

PRS has a more modern approach to their guitars with higher output pickups and current day hardware. The guitars play like butter with great necks anddeep cutaways and their maple tops are the best you can get on stock gutiars. Also their tonality is very unique - you might fall in love with them!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:15 AM