2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Getting Tone For Recording Purposes
SirJamsalot
May 27 2010, 10:28 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (thefireball @ May 27 2010, 06:58 AM) *
So I don't need an interface? I can just hook up to the computer's mic jack straight from the GT-10?

you can, yes however most stock sound cards are built for outgoing audio signals, not incoming. All audio cards are responsible for converting audio signals to and from digital signals. In order to do the conversion, the audio card has to implement Audio Drivers to convert the signals from to another. Audio to digital converters (AD's) and digital to audio(DA's). Most stock sound cards including Soundblaster and other high-end cards have excellent outbound converters (DA's) but really cheap AD's to keep the price down since most users use their sound cards for listening - not recording.

That said, while you can use your sound card for recording, you're not going to get the best audio to digital conversion, and therefore not the best sound.

That's where the Audio Interface comes in. Those are built to give you the best incoming signal processing, as well as give you jacks to plug into.

I was for a time using my amp's headphones out directly into my Audigy soundcards' mic in. It worked, and I got o.k. sound, but I purchased an actual AI - Firestudio Mobile firewire interface, and I can hear a difference in clarity when comparing the two.

You can invest in either a specialized sound-card such as the M-Audio for about 100 bucks, or invest in a USB or Firewire AI, for under 200 bucks. If money is an issue, then your sound card will work yes. But basically, IMO, you're much better off investing in a good AI.

Christian A.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Joe
May 27 2010, 10:49 PM
GMC:er
I've found little that sounds better than the record out of my mesa boogie amp (for headphone recording). It's line level and safe for the computer, so you plug it all up like you would a modeler (I actually use a toneport GX as my interface, the sounds are 10x better) and record. From my limited experience with Amplitube Fender, that was definitely one of the better sounding modelers I've heard. If I had to choose one I'd probably go with that. In fact, I think I may need a new interface soon and I'm looking at amplitubes "Stealth Pedal".

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Joe: May 27 2010, 10:49 PM

--------------------
Gear: Mesa Boogie F-30 Combo, Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson Flying V '67 RI

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 28 2010, 02:17 AM
Instructor
If I may add, Amplitube 3 has some awesome sounds, on of the best modelers for clean and crunch. For hi gain, it's good too, with some tweaking, but only for lead. For hi gain rhythm ReValver MKIII

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
May 28 2010, 01:19 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (thefireball @ May 27 2010, 01:58 PM) *
So I don't need an interface? I can just hook up to the computer's mic jack straight from the GT-10?

As Rob says the GT10 has AD conversion and it can transmit data via the USB to a host pc. You should be able to record from the GT10 to your pc's DAW just with the USB - I assume that the GT10 has a suitable ASIO2 driver for this.

If it does have ASIO drivers be aware that ASIO is not multi-client though so you can only have one ASIO device at a time ie you can only use one sound card/audio interface. You might need a different AI to the GT10 if, for instance, you need more inputs and outputs then it can take. In that situation if you want to use a different audio card then you might be better off taking either an audio signal from the GT10 to a suitable connection on the AI or a digital signal from the GT10 to a suitable digital in on the AI or similar via, for example, spdif (I'm assuming the GT10 does spdif. Rob what digital out format does the GT10 do?).

Which one you chose - USB, analogue out or digital out - to do may depend on how good the ADC is on the GT10 compared with your AI and how well it meets your needs.

BTW, and not meaning to offend anyone who uses these but I wouldn't refer to Soundblaster or Audigy as high-end AI cards. To me they are very much consumer products and aimed for a market that isn't really interested in recording audio. High-end ADC, to me, is more the Lavry, Prism, Mytek etc grade stuff. With these you use an AES-EBU, or similar, interface card to carry the data between the ADC/DAC and do the conversion at the ADC/DAC. Apart from the ADC/DAC having better quality conversion you have less jitter and noise problems induced by the pc's bus. The interface card just allows you to stream multichannel digital in to and out of the pc via a suitable pro grade connection.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
May 28 2010, 04:35 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (tonymiro @ May 28 2010, 05:19 AM) *
BTW, and not meaning to offend anyone who uses these but I wouldn't refer to Soundblaster or Audigy as high-end AI cards. To me they are very much consumer products and aimed for a market that isn't really interested in recording audio. High-end ADC, to me, is more the Lavry, Prism, Mytek etc grade stuff. With these you use an AES-EBU, or similar, interface card to carry the data between the ADC/DAC and do the conversion at the ADC/DAC. Apart from the ADC/DAC having better quality conversion you have less jitter and noise problems induced by the pc's bus. The interface card just allows you to stream multichannel digital in to and out of the pc via a suitable pro grade connection.

LOL. Hmmm, using deduction, who could he be referring to! wink.gif
I stand corrected on using "high-end" in reference to Soundblaster/Audigy, but in my defense, he's likely seen Audigy/SB in "pro-sumer" adverts, as opposed to Lavry, Prism, Mytek...etc. In that sense the analogy make sense. Oh, and I didn't realize the GT-10 had a USB out? cool.

Cheers!
Chris

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 28 2010, 05:13 PM
Instructor
I second that, Creative Audigy and SB are lines that are mainstream multimedia audio cards, low priced all-in-one packages, aimed towards movie watching, gaming etc. Referring Audigy or SB as high end, could not work even withing Creative brand, but one could name some of Audigy or SB cards as flagship cards in that particular series.
Creative brand does have a line that is aimed towards semi-pro audio production - E-MU cards. They cover tasks suited for semi-pro studios and projects, but nothing more than that. They are however well made, and price on some models is more than fair, if you consider the whole package (converters, DSP processing, bundled software, drivers, PatchMix software etc).

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:35 AM