2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Mesa - Flying V Swap
JVM
May 9 2010, 11:26 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey GMC,

As you may know, I have a Mesa F-30. Before that though, I had an F-50 head + 112 cabinet that I used for a little while. I planned to sell it when I got it's smaller little brother, but then the economy went in the pooper and so I've kept it around until I find a good trade or til people have a little more money they're willing to spend. I've gotten some offers on it, but nothing worth what I think it's valued at.

Earlier today though, I found a guy looking to trade his Gibson '67 reissue flying V. I've been looking for a replacement to my strat, which I find doesn't have quite enough meat to the tone, plus I never use the tremolo. The guy says he loves Mesa and is interested in the trade.

What do you think? We haven't worked out details yet, but I feel like I might get a nice replacement for my strat, at the same time that I get rid of this amp I've been holding onto. Plus, if it turns out I don't like it that much after a while, I'd probably have an easier time selling a Gibson guitar than a discontinued Mesa amp. Maybe I am wrong though. But maybe this trade will also net me some cash value as well... many things to think about.

What do you say?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
May 9 2010, 11:53 PM
Instructor
never tried the mesa, but flying v's totally rocks my world man, i tried mine and a couple of more and there are true machines of rock n roll, never ending sustain, and you can't beat that look!!!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
May 9 2010, 11:56 PM
Learning Tone Master
Do it if you like the V

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
JVM
May 10 2010, 12:56 AM
Learning Roadie
I do like the v... I'm sure it would take some getting used to. Is the '67 reissue a good model? I'm diggin the looks.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
May 10 2010, 01:08 AM
Instructor
this is the reissue right?

--------------------

-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
JVM
May 10 2010, 01:42 AM
Learning Roadie
It's much like that only it doesn't have the trem.

Do you guys think it would be a sensible trade, if it turned out I wanted to sell the guitar eventually? I think I would probably keep it, but being a gibson don't you think I would have an easier time selling it than the mesa, and perhaps the value would even grow?

Attached Image

BTW pickups are 490r&t.

--------------------

+Quote Post
fkalich
May 10 2010, 01:52 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (JVM @ May 9 2010, 07:42 PM) *
It's much like that only it doesn't have the trem.

Do you guys think it would be a sensible trade, if it turned out I wanted to sell the guitar eventually? I think I would probably keep it, but being a gibson don't you think I would have an easier time selling it than the mesa, and perhaps the value would even grow?

Attached Image

BTW pickups are 490r&t.

Les Pauls hold up better than other Gibsons I think, but perhaps they hold value decently. The way I determine this is looking on ebay, the competed sales. Some guitars don't do well in this regard.

I would say, look on ebay and see what the amp has been going for. I doubt being discontinued matters much. And compare that to see if the deal is good.

But have you played V much? Some say that they are comfortable to play sitting down. I feel that people that say that are either (1) In denial, or (2) lying. I have grown to hate most guitars that are not good sit down guitars, such as SG's. Again, those that say the opposite are the same as the above. But I do have a Firebird that is like that, but it is so beautiful in a bizarre way I accept it. Your V might be like that for you. But I doubt you will want to play it much, just because of the comfort issue.

This post has been edited by fkalich: May 10 2010, 01:53 AM

+Quote Post
JVM
May 10 2010, 02:02 AM
Learning Roadie
I don't mind standing when I play at home. I do enjoy the level of comfort the strat provides sitting down, but I think like most things all it takes is getting used to it. And I have a tele that I can play when I sit around the house, if it's that big of a problem.

Also - checked ebay. It seems the V is selling for $1-200 more than the mesa, on average.

Adrian, how do you feel about the V sitting down?

This post has been edited by JVM: May 10 2010, 02:03 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
May 10 2010, 02:46 AM
Instructor
im probably a freak, but i find the V the most comfortable guitar i ever own to play sited, 100% truth.
just put it between your legs and you don't even have to hold it with your hands!, i record almost 80% of the tracks on the studio with the V for this reason, it feels even better than the strat, and i'm always working with the computer while im recording and it's really cool that i can use my both hands on the computer and have the guitar on the legs smile.gif

--------------------

-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
May 10 2010, 02:28 PM
Learning Tone Master
Yeah put the V in the classical position between your legs and it plays perfectly! It sits in the exact same angle you would have it when playing standing up with a strap which is a hughe plus - you already feel comfortable with the positioning!

The 67 Reissues are the Standard Gibson Vs, great guitars and they won't decrease in value (but also won't rise up). I have one myself, although heavily modified into a modern Metal guitar.

--------------------

Gear:

- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Skewlbuzz
May 10 2010, 02:33 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Flying V's are awesome!
I'm planning to get one as my next guitar. Only I want one with a FR, wonder where I can find that?

--------------------

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2008
Fender Squier '51

---------------------
Amp(like):
Blackstar Series One 45
Line6 POD Studio UX1
Marshall MG15CDR

---------------------
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
DigiTech Whammy
Z.Vex Fuzz Factory
Dunlop MXR Carbon Copy

+Quote Post
maharzan
May 10 2010, 02:47 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Cool. Do it.. I have a V copy japanese made.. probably like 20 years old. I need to repaint it. Can anyone suggest me where to get the primers / paint for the guitars... ??? I used to see one website full or forums on how to do it but it looks like its been lost into the wild for some reason now.. sad.gif

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
SensE
May 10 2010, 03:45 PM
V-shaped guitar is the most comfortable guitar I play sitting down. You have to hold the guitar in classical position, in between your leg. I currently own the Gibson Reissue you are wanted to swap, look at my avatar, you already know I'm a big fans tongue.gif

I'm not sure about the trade though, since the Mesa amp is a discontinued model. But I would suggest keep the amp. Just my opinion. The question is, do you have another guitar besides the strat? Do you really need a new guitar so bad?

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 10 2010, 04:48 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
If you are into V shaped guitar and don't really need that mesa amp and want to get rid of it then I would suggest go for the trade! I'm not sure eigher would be easier to sell later on, though its cool to have that classic guitar (if you don't care much about that amp)...

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Frederik
May 10 2010, 04:50 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
My bet is that the guitar - amp combination is wrong
why do you play a strat through a mesa? try it with a humbucker-mahogany guitar before you judge it

-frederik

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
May 10 2010, 04:59 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Skewlbuzz @ May 10 2010, 08:33 AM) *
Flying V's are awesome!
I'm planning to get one as my next guitar. Only I want one with a FR, wonder where I can find that?

Cool to see some V lovers!
i know there are v's with floyds, but not sure about the model

--------------------

-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Skewlbuzz
May 10 2010, 05:18 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Adrian Figallo @ May 10 2010, 05:59 PM) *
Cool to see some V lovers!
i know there are v's with floyds, but not sure about the model

Ye that's the Zakk Wylde signature. It's priced at 6000$ here, so I'm not getting that in the near future tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Skewlbuzz: May 10 2010, 05:21 PM

--------------------

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2008
Fender Squier '51

---------------------
Amp(like):
Blackstar Series One 45
Line6 POD Studio UX1
Marshall MG15CDR

---------------------
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
DigiTech Whammy
Z.Vex Fuzz Factory
Dunlop MXR Carbon Copy

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
May 10 2010, 05:21 PM
Learning Tone Master
There are some Gibson Vs with kahler Tremolos like the shred V or the Tribal (can't recommend them though). There were Vs with Floyds by Gibson but they were made in the 80s and 90s so you might want to check Ebay or another guitar company!

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
May 10 2010, 07:14 PM
Instructor
I was gonna say, it would be cool to have one with floyd,

Although it's a great guitar on its own without it,

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Joe
May 10 2010, 09:33 PM
The thing is - I like the amp. But I have another one in the same series, the F-30. The F-50 I'm trying to trade is a little too big, too loud, etc. I like the tone of the F-30 slightly more, though the strat sounds great through BOTH amps. They're really nice amps, and I'm sure the V would sound great through both too. Either way I will be keeping the strat, and the f-30. So when I do this trade, even if it turns out I don't like the V as much as I thought I would, I will still have the same f-30 and strat I use now, but a V to try to sell or hold onto instead of a mesa amp. And from ebay, it looks like it would even be a better sell possibly.

So, for these reasons I can't see a downside to the trade, it'll let me at least try the guitar to see if it's a good replacement for my strat, in which case perhaps I'll sell the strat. If not, I'll sell the V.

[edit] this is JVM, first time I've seen my account come up as 'Joe', but probably because I'm not subscribed right now and on a different computer than usual?

This post has been edited by Joe: May 10 2010, 09:35 PM

--------------------
Gear: Mesa Boogie F-30 Combo, Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson Flying V '67 RI

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:38 AM